4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 6:13 PM by the_wine_snob

How do I turn jpgs on time line upside down

xuorel

I have elements 3

after rendering, my jpgs turned up side down.

not the video does anybody know how I can get them back.

• 1. Re: How do I turn jpgs on time line upside down
          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is odd behavior.

Anyway, to alter the Rotation of a Clip, or still, just apply the fixe Effect>Motion>Rotation. Click the still, and go to Effects, then Edit Effects to get to the Effects Control Panel. Look for Motion, and open it to get to Rotation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I turn jpgs on time line upside down
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I've been thinking about what could cause your JPEG's to Rotate 180 degrees, and only have one possibilty. However, I do not know if PrE 3 would even have this.

Still images can have metadata included. If one does some light editing, such as orient vertical images in viewers, like Organizer, the actual images are not physically Rotated, but just flagged as being so manipulated, and instructions on its display are included. Did you have to Roatate these stills 180 degrees? Was the camera turned upside down?

Now, if one were to open such a file in PS/PSE, and actually applied a Rotation to the image, then Save it, the image would now be oriented correctly. This would not be a metadata flag, but the pixels would be physically Rotated.

What is the history of these JPEG's. I am thinking as hard as I can, and cannot come up with a way/reason for Rendering to flip the JPEG's.

Thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I turn jpgs on time line upside down
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That would work, Hunt, if his original photos were actually inverted! But this sounds more like a piece of strangeness that's only happening in Premiere Elements.

I believe at one time we discovered that this strangeness most often happend when you use photos that are larger than 1000x750 pixels in  your video.

• 4. Re: How do I turn jpgs on time line upside down
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you. The only real visual issue with large files that I knew of was that they often go black. Now, they might be inverted, but by going black one could not tell that. I did not recall reading of this behavior.

Now, besides any anomaly in display, large images will often crash the program, or hinder performance, and I find that the resizing in an image editing program to yield better results, over scaling in PrE, or PrPro..

BTW - I strongly endorse sizing images, prior to Import. I even did an ARTICLE on automating the process in PS/PSE.

Appreciated,

Hunt