8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 1:45 PM by the_wine_snob

premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre

woz1948 Level 1

every time that I install adobe premiere elements 8 my windows media centre stops working and it says that no tuner card is detected, there are no updates available for my for my tuner card at the moment, I have been told to update windows and uninstall the tuner card but this does not work my media centre stops working again when I have done this, when I uninstall the premiere elements 8 software and restart my computer the media centre starts working correctly again, I have an open case with adobe support and sony the maker of my computer, I have tried everything that they suggest but I keep going round in circles and getting nowhere in respect of solving the problem that arises every time that I install the software

• 1. Re: premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Woz,

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to read through this THREAD on exactly what you describe. Lot of replies, so have a nice glass of wine on hand.

I do not recall if there was much resolution, however.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre
            woz1948 Level 1

dear Hunt sony support have suggested that the problem may be caused by one of my start up programs and suggested that I try yhis

1  click start

2 click on the search box

3 type "misconfig"(without ") and hit return

4 click start up tab

5 click disable all and ok

6 restart the system  

I am a computer novice really, do you think that this may solve the problem ???

yours sincerely woz1948 

• 3. Re: premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Woz,

I would be a bit more selective in what is taken out by MSCONFIG, and do it incrementally, taking close notes along the way. It will mean that you will be rebooting often. Also, note that when you use MSCONFIG, you will be prompted that you have made changes, everytime that you reboot. That is a good thing, and do NOT disable that message yet.

Here is an ARTICLE that I wrote on using MSCONFIG to "clean" up unnecessary programs and Processes. It will give you some tips.

The real task is determining which programs and Processes are necessary, and which are not. On most purchased computers, there are tons of "bloatware," that at the best just steal resources, and at worst, can keep other programs from functioning. Even on clean, custom-built computers, many programs add all sorts of "stuff," so in time, much unnecessary programs and Processes can build up. One good example of that is iTunes, which installs all sorts of "stuff," and most is not needed for that program to function. Programs, like Nero and Roxio, install a bunch of "sniffers," that monitor all sorts of things on one's computer, ostensibly to make it easier to just click and do. These too get in the way of the operation of many other programs, as the sniffers to their work behind the scenes. I disable all of these too.

Good luck, go slowly, be patient, keep notes, and keep that info dialog screen up for now. Just click to close it, at each bootup. When you get things cleaned up, but with functioning programs, you can finally check that little "Don't show this screen again" box. For now, just click it to close it, and test well.

Hunt

PS - Attached is a screen-cap of some of the programs and Processes, that I have removed via MSCONFIG. Unfortunately, the MSCONFIG screen will not expand, so you have to scroll.

• 4. Re: premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre
                VDOSurfer Level 3

Woz,

You could try the content in the link in Hunt's post. That is a two page thread and if you lost patience in reaching to the end of that one (I did when I read it the first time..) Here is the crisp short answer that Chad Baker from Adobe provided..

"This is caused by the presence of ‘ad2m2ve.ax’ in the application root folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\ ad2m2ve.ax

If you rename this file the problem disappears. (for eg. Rename ad2m2ve.ax to ad2m2ve.ax.old)"

You could close the app and then rename that file. Launch it again and hopefully your problem is solved for Media Center running together with Premiere Elements 8

• 5. Re: premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for doing an abstract of that long thread. Sometimes, those things can get rather unwieldly and often the "fix" gets lost in tangential replies.

Hope that it helps the OP.

Hunt

• 6. Re: premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre
                    woz1948 Level 1

dear VDOsurfer this seems the most helpfoul answer so far, I have not tried it yet but I will in the next few days and I will let you know if it works until I do thank you very much for your help all the best woz1948

• 7. Re: premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre
                      woz1948 Level 1

dear VDOsurfer thank you very much for your help, I renamed that file and then restarted my computer and the media centre worked, that is the first time that it has worked with premiere elements 8 installed, I have had this problem since I purchased the software about two months ago so once again thank you very much for helping me solve the problem best wishes woz1948

• 8. Re: premiere elements 8 conflicting with windows media centre
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Woz,

Glad that it's working, and thank you for reporting. I'll try to remember to link to this thread, next time that Windows MC comes up, so others can benefit from VDOSurfer's suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt