11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2009 1:59 AM by Harm Millaard

Veho Muvi import

PaulGanney

Hi all,

bought a Veho Muvi recently and I'm having problems getting the footage into CS4 (4.0.1 on Vista). I've managed to get it to play in Media Player (so I know the footage is there), but CS4 is still not having it. What I get is a single frame, that changes every ten seconds or so. The sound is all there. I rendered it (as it was showing red on the timeline), but same result. I guess I need a codec or something. Anyone managed to get theirs working?

Thanks

Paul.

• 1. Re: Veho Muvi import
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It is not compatible. Either

1. Get a real VIDEO camera,

2. Use different software, like WMM or Magix

3. Convert the material to DV AVI type2 before import.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Veho Muvi import
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

The easiest way to address any file that will not Import, or edit in an NLE is to get the freeware utility, G-Spot, and run one of the files through it. G-Spot will give you all of the details on that file and will show the exact CODEC used, plus whether it's properly installed on your system.

Now, just because one has the proper CODEC, does not mean that an NLE program, like PrPro, can edit it. Same thing for a file that plays on the computer. There is a world of difference between playing a file and editing that same file - much more than most folk know.

Please tell us what G-Spot says about the file. Also, keep in mind that you may need to convert those files into a format/CODEC that PrPro can use.

If you have something like Xvid, or DivX, or other similar, you WILL need to convert.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Veho Muvi import
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking at reviews for the Veho Muvi, all I can get is that it produces files with an AVI "wrapper." Please see this ARTICLE for more info on what can be inside that "wrapper."

Good luck, and let us know what G-Spot says,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Veho Muvi import
                PaulGanney Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I've installed G-Spot and it says I don't need a codec (damn!). It says the video is MJPG and the audio PCM.

I'm happy to do a convert (after all, the PC can do it while I do something else). I've got AVS video converter - is this up to the job or should I look for something else?

Thanks

Paul.

• 5. Re: Veho Muvi import
                  PaulGanney Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

1. I do have a proper video camera - the Muvi's for those situations I don't want to take it into (or can't: I can strap the Muvi to the end of my guitar, for example). I should probably have said so, though.

2. I guess if I used WMM (I've not tested it) I could then export as something that premiere could use, so I can mix it in with my other footage (see 3).

3. Any suggestions on how to convert? I'm happy to do a convert (after all, the PC can do it while I do something else). I've got AVS video converter - is this up to the job or should I look for something else?

Thanks

Paul.

• 6. Re: Veho Muvi import
                    akribie Level 2

If you have MJPEG files, you might be able to edit in Premiere if you install an MJPEG CODEC.  There are a few alternatives available - try Google - and some have free a trial period which would help in your case.

• 7. Re: Veho Muvi import
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Paul,

With MJPEG you can try if downloading the Morgan or MainConcept MJPEG codecs will help. Otherwise you need to convert to DV AVI type2. Use Google to find one.

• 8. Re: Veho Muvi import
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

There are several MJPEG CODEC's out there. It appears that PrPro cannot work with the one that you have.

The two that get the highest marks are the Morgan and the MainConcept. You might have great luck by installing one of these. Most users indicate that these two allow for smooth editing in PrPro. Now, remember to establish your Project/Sequence Preset to exactly match your footage. Remember that G-Spot screen? It will give you all the details like Frame Size, FPS, etc. Use that info. If you do not see the exact Preset, then do a Desktop Preset, where you can customize all settings to match.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, Harm beat me to it. When I went to reply, his post did not appear on my screen, until after I had posted. Oh the joys of Jive!!!!

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

• 9. Re: Veho Muvi import
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          2. I guess if I used WMM (I've not tested it) I could then export as something that premiere could use, so I can mix it in with my other footage (see 3).

Paul,

That might work, but again, it might not. Having the proper CODEC installed on one's computer only assures that you can play the file. There is never a guarantee that an NLE, any NLE, can edit that file. Many can, and some are less strict, than are others. While WMM might be able to edit it, there are two drawbacks: it's rather limited and clunky (IMHO), and it outputs to DV-AVI Type I's which might work fine, or have some issues, usually OOS issues, though they are most often static OOS, and are easily fixed. Still, if you do not need to use another NLE, and do not have to worry about OOS, that would be the best.

Try either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's, and see if PrPro can't do what you want, with what you have.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Veho Muvi import
                            PaulGanney Level 1

Hi all,

sorry for the gaps between posting - too many other things to get on with!

I've run gspot and installed Moragn and still no joy. The best results I've had so far are by conversion. The quickest way I've found to convert the veho file is by loading it into my Serif MoviePlus program (the one I decided to ditch in favour of premiere...) and then exporting it as an AVI. It's a type 1, but at least it loads.

My gspot output is below. Many thanks for your help with this.

Paul.

gspot.jpg

• 11. Re: Veho Muvi import
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

I am surprised this works, since it is not DV AVI, but MJPEG with square pixels and 8KHz mono sound. But if it works, OK.