15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 3:03 PM by Harm Millaard

Capture issue

lisaellensegal Level 1

I just purchased an HP dv7 with windows 7.  It has the following specs:

• 1.6GHz Intel Core i7 CPU
      • 6GB (2x 3GB) RA
      • 500GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
      • nVidia GeForce GT 230M Graphics - 1gb dedicated ram

I hooked up my Canon HDV Vixia HV30 via firewire 800 to laptop (small pin out, small pin into laptop)

I hooked up my Lacie, 7200 rpm, d2 Quadra (esata out of laptop, eSata into external drive).

I installed HDV split 0.77 Beta (as used to capture on my desktop.

I began capture - it captured briefly and then stopped.  The files were small and damaged (unable to open in Premiere).

I changed the destination to my internal hard drive.  It behaved the same way.

I tried to capture with Adobe Premere Pro.  It behaved the same way.

I removed the camera and captured to my HP desktop computer and all went perfectly (firewire out of camera using HDV Split 0.77 Beta).  I will try to transfer the files to my external LaCie d2 Quadra and hope to use my new laptop to create a project with Premiere Pro.  Any suggestions or ideas what might be halting the capture?  Are there settings in Windows 7 that I need to change?

Regards,

Lisa Segal

• 1. Re: Capture issue
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Lisa,

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I hooked up my Canon HDV Vixia HV30 via firewire 800 to laptop (small pin out, small pin into laptop)

You have to use a FW400 port. FW800 is not supported. All cameras use FW400 and so does Adobe.

• 2. Re: Capture issue
            lisaellensegal Level 1

I am still having some issues with working with video my laptop.  I am now only working with my Canon HDV Vixia HV30 camera and the laptop.  I connected the camera via firewire (400).  I launched HDV split.  It recognizes the camera, captures for a few seconds, then quits. I get an error message "Capturing has been started
            INFO: No more data is received from camcoder. Capture stopped.".  I am capturing directly to the internal hard drive of my new laptop (see specs below).

I tried to capture directly with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and although I can control my camera with adobe, I cannot capture.  The "scene detect" is not active.  I tried to capture by hitting record and play - no files are captured.  I tried to log time code in and out, it rolled the tape back, played back in camera, did not end at my out point.  I hit esc and it stopped, but no video file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lisa Segal

• 3. Re: Capture issue
              Jim_Simon Level 8

This sounds much like a tape problem, some blank space perhaps.

• 4. Re: Capture issue
                Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no preview nor scene detect in PR for HDV.

• 5. Re: Capture issue
                  lisaellensegal Level 1

No tape issue, no blank space.  I am able to capture with the exact same process with my hp xw workstation (windows xp).  Any additional ideas?

• 6. Re: Capture issue
                    lisaellensegal Level 1

I knew that there was no preview for HDV.  I am bummed that there is no scene detect.  I still can't figure out why I am not actually capturing any video.  It appears that all is going well, then nothing.  Can I log clips with HDV?  That was not working for me either.  The program would go to the correct in point, but it did not recognize the out point.  Again, when I hit esc to stop the capture, there was no video file.

Regards,

Lisa

• 7. Re: Capture issue
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

If the exact same camera, cable and tape using the same software will capture fine one one computer but not another, that is a good indication that the problem is with the second computer.

• 8. Re: Capture issue
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Lisa,

Make life easy for yourself: Use FW400 and use HDVSplit for capturing, freeware with preview during capture and scene detection and no OOS errors, in short everything that Adobe should offer but does not.

• 9. Re: Capture issue
                          lisaellensegal Level 1

Dear Harm,

I use the workflow that you described below with my desktop:

"Make life easy for yourself: Use FW400 and use HDVSplit for capturing, freeware with preview during capture and scene detection and no OOS errors, in short everything that Adobe should offer but does not."

I installed HDV split on my laptop, my camera was recognized, but capture fails. After this event, I moved on to trying to capture directly within Adobe with results described in my last post.  Ultimately, my goal is to be able to use an external, 7600 firewire drive to edit with.  This has not worked either, so I am trying to trouble shoot by starting with the basic set-up - all internal. Could there be some settings that I need to change to enable capture?

I am connecting via firewire 400.

regards,

Lisa

• 10. Re: Capture issue
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Lisa,

With multiple FW devices connected Win/PR and also HDVSplit seem to have difficulty in keeping things straight. That might be the case here. Let us know if you succeed in capturing to an internal SATA disk. Also, check in Device Manager that your IEE1394 driver is the one with LEGACY in the description. There are three drivers installed on your C drive and the one you want to have has the Legacy description in it.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Capture issue
                              lisaellensegal Level 1

Harm,

My drivers were not set to the Legacy one.  I changed it and I will try again shortly.  Once I get the capture working, I will try to transfer the footage to an external drive to see if that also works now.

Regards,

Lisa

• 12. Re: Capture issue
                                lisaellensegal Level 1

I changed my ieee drivers to the Legacy one.  I hooked up my Canon HDV Vixia hv30 via firewire to my laptop.

Here is the message that I keep getting:
                                Capturing has been started
                                INFO: No more data is received from camcoder. Capture stopped.
                                End of capturing

Any ideas as to why this keeps happening?  Perhaps this is why I can't use an external drive to edit with.

Lisa

• 13. Re: Capture issue
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Lisa,

Can you try to capture on another computer with the same cable? That way we'll know whether the problem is the camera or the laptop.

• 14. Re: Capture issue
                                    lisaellensegal Level 1

Harm,

I spent last evening talking with HP tech support.  We updated my bios.  My computer will now capture with Premeire Pro and I am able to encode a piece of video.  HP checked on HDV Split and apparently it is not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.  So, this seems to have been my issues.  Thanks for your help.

Lisa

• 15. Re: Capture issue
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Lisa,

I'll check HP's claim about HDVSplit tomorrow. I'll let you know.