14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 7:53 PM by Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Catalyst in General

gdomanlee@gmail.com

I'm not primarily a web designer and have limited experience with Flash but I am very familiar with Abobe products.  Though in general I'm having problems with all sorts of things with Catalyst.  I'm hoping that the difficulties I'm having are due to running it on Snow Leopard but I can't seem to run or publish the projects I'm designing.  When I do publish the file doesn't appear to be where I placed it except for when I try to publish it again.  In this instance only Catalyst says that the file exists in the location I saved it.  In addition the preferences panel doesn't seem to open at all, I can't add labels to shapes and the list goes on.

As I said the number of even rudimentary problems I'm having are so persistent that I can only assume that it's a problem with my operating system.

Any ideas a qualified person could offer might at least encourage me to be patient with the development of the software.  I generally am very happy with Adobe products but lately, not so much.  I don't mean to offend their generosity in providing progressive software but all in all it's quite frustrating.

Thanks,

GDL

• 1. Re: Catalyst in General
          acath Level 4

Hi GDL,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with Catalyst. We do test Catalyst on Snow Leopard, so it should work. Let's try a few things:

1.  Which version of Catalyst do you have? If you have Beta 1, stop now, uninstall, and install Beta 2.

2.  Create a new project. Draw a rectangle. Click File > Run Project. Tell me exactly what happens.

3.  Send me your log file. To do that:

•   Open Terminal

•   Type: cd ~/Desktop

•   Type: cp ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Flash\ Catalyst/workspace/.metadata/.log ./catalyst_log

•   There will now be a file called catalyst_log on your deskop. Attach that to your reply.

-Adam

• 2. Re: Catalyst in General
            gdomanlee@gmail.com Level 1

Hi Adam,

I am running Beta 2.

I'll do as you ask and send you the results tomorrow.

Thanks,

Geoffrey

• 3. Re: Catalyst in General

Hi Adam,

So I opened a new project, drew a rectangle and ran the project.  Upon doing

so a browser window opened displaying the empty rectangle I drew highlighted

in blue.

I had to take the '(space).' after 'log' out of the command  you sent.  Upon

doing so I generated the attached log.  I hope it's what you expected.

I also tried to publish a SWF. from the test project you suggested.

Catalyst created a folder.  It named the file Main.  While the .html seems

to replicated the created project the SWF seems to have errors, the alerts

are as follows:

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class flash.text.engine::TextLine could not be

found.

at global$init()

VerifyError: Error #1033: Cpool entry 92 is wrong type.

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable

mxmanagers_CursorManagerStyle__embed_css_Assets_swf_mx_skins_cursor_BusyCursor_520885329

is not defined.

The Flash Player document just opens an empty blank page without a

rectangle.

After reading some of the other postings in the forum there may be some

problems with the Illustrator file I imported.  Perhaps my art groups are

too complex.  Though one of the other problems I'm having is not being able

to label non-text objects.

Thanks,

Geoffrey

• 4. Re: Catalyst in General
                acath Level 4

It sounds like you might have the wrong version of Flash Player installed. Try this: right click on any Flash file (there's one at Adobe.com) and click "About Flash Player X". This will take you to a page on Adobe.com that says "you have version X" installed. You should have 10.0.32.18. What does it say there?

• 5. Re: Catalyst in General

Incidentally these are the same error alerts I get in Flash Pro. Frankly I

don't know if they're germane to the problems I'm having, some seem to be

some not so much.

It says:  You have version 10,0,32,18 installed

I don't want to be too much a problem with this.  I was hoping that their

might be some over/insight to the problems I've been having.  Or some

headway on updates I might learn about.

Thanks,

Geoffrey

• 6. Re: Catalyst in General
                    acath Level 4

You're not being a problem at all. If you're having this problem, somebody else is too.

The log attachment didn't work. Can you try uploading it again, through the forum UI (email attachments don't get automatically translated to forum attachments)?

-Adam

• 7. Re: Catalyst in General

REPLY-

Hi Adam,

After watching some of the behaviors in Dreamweaver while running a program

named ShrinkRapt 6.0.3b1(originally designed for Windows and not a very lean

conversion) it may be that the program or its data in the cache are

flummoxing things a bit.

From time to time in Dreamweaver I've had problems when my Airport is

running and/or Firefox is open.  I always assumed it was because of

Linux/cross compliant coding in both programs not making enough distinction

between two HTML platforms, but frankly not being primarily a web designer I

never took the time to contemplate it too deeply.

But now with these problems with Catalyst I'm thinking that their may have

been something to it.  Oddly some of the glitches with Dreamweaver were

similar to problems I've had with previous versions on a PC.  Frankly while

I'm always happy with Adobe offerings and intuitions about their users

needs, I fear their "browser war" non-chalance with back-to-back new

versions is slipping through the cracks of some of their realistic, though

inconsequential, quality control issues.

I'd think that Dreamweaver would benefit greatly from a sandbox (OpenGL) but

I'm sure that's a gi-normaous undertaking that perhaps more open source

programs can muck about with while Adobe focuses on Flash Pro and now the

skeleton key that I hope Catalyst will become.

When I came across Flash Catalyst I was ecstatic, once again their

intuitions were right on. But once again somewhere in development it seems

to have some problems under the hood.  I know it's a Beta but I never had

problems like this with Lightroom and I'd be inclined to guess that it's

because Lightroom is more UI gleam oriented than dynamic and ground

breaking.

Feel free to repost this in the forum stream after you get the attachment.

And again thanks for walking through this with me. I hope I haven't

overstated anything.

Geoffrey

You're not being a problem at all. If you're having this problem, somebody

else is too.

The log attachment didn't work. Can you try uploading it again, through the

forum UI (email attachments don't get automatically translated to forum

attachments)?

-Adam

• 8. Re: Catalyst in General

I tried e-mailing you the attachment, concurrent comments and observations

to the forums@adobe.com address but it keeps coming back with fatal

delivery errors. Let me know if their's another e-mail I can send it to.

Thanks again,

Geoffrey

• 9. Re: Catalyst in General
                          acath Level 4

Hi Geoffrey,

My email address is my name, with no spaces, at adobe.com.

-Adam Cath

• 10. Re: Catalyst in General
                            acath Level 4

Hi Geoffrey,

I took a look at the log and didn't see anything abnormal. It sounds like you suspect that ShrinkRapt is causing problems. Have you tried uninstalling it? I'm a bit stumped on the issues you're having...we haven't seen anything like that around here.

-Adam

• 11. Re: Catalyst in General

Hi Adam,

I wouldn't think you had simply because some of the issues were so blatant

that they'd be hard to miss.  I'm still really happy with the capabilities

of Catalyst but I might have to start working on a simpler project to get

the hang of the best pre flight organization practices.  I downloaded some

of the tutorial literature and I'll follow-up on it to see if some of the

qualms I've having are to do with the files I'm starting with.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Geoffrey

• 12. Re: Catalyst in General
                                Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Geoffrey,

I just wanted to address your other questions from your original post...

>> "When I do publish the file doesn't appear to be where I placed it except for when I try to publish it again."

Are you still seeing this problem?  Can you give an example with more specifics?  E.g. tell us exactly what you did in the Publish dialog in Catalyst, and what it said in the "Output directory" field and the label underneath it.  And then exactly what you did to go look for the published files on disk.

>> "the preferences panel doesn't seem to open at all"

Clicking the Preferences menu item in beta 2 intentionally doesn't do anything, since the preferences UI was a work in progress at that time.

>> "I can't add labels to shapes"

Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do, and what steps you took in Catalyst to try to accomplish it?  Are you talking about renaming the shape in the Layers panel?  Or are you talking about converting artwork (shapes) to a Button (or other interactive UI component) and then setting the Button label that appears in your prototype itself?

Finally, I'd like to clarify something about the SWF errors you've been discussing with Adam:

>> "While the .html seems to replicated the created project the SWF seems to have errors"

When you run the published content, are you double-clicking the .html file or are .swf file?  Does it work fine if you do one but not work when you do the other?

- Peter

• 13. Re: Catalyst in General

Hi Peter,

Sorry I didn't haven't gotten back to you sooner.  This is gona take some

time for me to follow up on thoroughly but I'll try to give you an overview

of my problems.  One of the things that seemed to be happening is that the

files in the project folders weren't carrying the project file name.  This

may be a behavior specifically for launching flash files as directory

indexes, I haven't followed-up on this yet.

The publishing problem is a hit or miss thing.  When I go to publish an AIR

appllication (selected from the dialog) a complete package folder gets

created which includes the SWF, AIR and html.  When I don't select the the

AIR option nothing gets created.  When I try to publish a swf twice (swf

only selected) Catalyst says that it has already been published but no file

appears in the designated location.

As to your question about labels, text seems to be the only objects I can

label which is odd since the text itself would seem label enough.  Perhaps I

presumed that there would be an advantage to being able to label objects in

prototyping (not layers).  But again I'll need to work through your Beta 2

release notes before I can be sure of the intention of the program

components functionality and the results I was getting.

When I posted the original query I was hoping that some of the issues were

known about (like with the preferences panel WIP) and I'd then know to work

within or around temporary constraints and not be discouraged by items that

were still in development.  I'll roll-up my sleeves this week and see what I

come up with.  I may have to rethink the pre-production on my original art.

Thanks again,

Geoffrey

• 14. Re: Catalyst in General
                                    Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Geoffrey,

The publish problem you're having sounds unusual.  Here's what happens when I publish with beta 2:

1. I select an output folder using the Browse button in the Publish to SWF dialog window.
                                    2. I make sure that "Build deployable version" and "Build redistributable version" are checked
                                    3. (optionally) I check "Build AIR application"
                                    4. I click Publish
                                    5. If I've already Published, I get a message box asking about this, and I click Delete to clear out the old stuff.
                                    6. Once it's complte, I go look in the folder I selected in step 1.
                                    7. Inside that folder there's a folder with the name of my project ("Untitled_1" by default)
                                    8. Inside that folder are two folders: run-local and deploy-to-web.  If I checked off the AIR option, there's also an AIR folder.
                                    9. Inside both run-local and deploy-to-web there's a "Main.html" file.  If I double-click that file, my web browser opens and displays my Catalyst project.

If you follow the exact same steps as I did above... do you get different results?  If so, at what step do things start to differ, and in what way?  If you let us know that info we can help diagnose your problem further.

About your other question: I'm not sure what you mean by "text seems to be the only objects I can label."  Can you tell me more about what you're trying to achieve?  What does "labelling an object" mean to you?  (There are many different ways to interpret the word "label," so I want to make sure we're on the same page).

Btw, if you're really new to Catalyst I would suggest you check out an intro video or tutorial -- that will probably be a lot more useful to you than reading the release notes.

Here's a quick intro video: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/discover-flash-catalyst/introducing-flash-catalyst

Longer intros: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2009-design/introducing-flash-catalyst-beta-2-and-whats-ahea d-for-flash-catalyst (high-fidelity art-oriented)

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2009-design/prototyping-and-interactive-wireframes-using-fla sh-catalyst (wireframing/conceptual-oriented)

- Peter