1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 5:23 PM by cvleon

Hung CFDocument threads

Hi! I'm using ColdFusion 7 and I've been experiencing intermittent hung threads related to CFDocument. I finally got around to configuring SeeFusion to give me thread dumps of running threads, and I caught one in action today. The thread had been "running" for a couple of hours, even though the requestTimeout on the page was set to 500 seconds.

Here's the top of the thread dump:

Full thread dump Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (1.4.2_13):

"jrpp-2833" runnable
              - locked <257> (a java.lang.Object)
              at ice.pilots.html4.CSSMatcher.OEAB(OEAB)
              at ice.pilots.html4.CSSMatcher.I(OEAB)
              at ice.pilots.html4.CSSMatcher.build(OEAB)
              at ice.pilots.html4.CSSLayout._maxCharacters(OEAB)
              at ice.pilots.html4.CSSLayout.S(OEAB)
              at ice.pilots.html4.CSSLayout.layout(OEAB)
              at ice.pilots.html4.ThePrinter.getPageCount(Unknown source)
              at ice.storm.print.AbstractStormPrinter.setStormPageFormat(OEAB)
              at ice.pilots.html4.ThePrinter.setStormPageFormat(Unknown source)
              at com.icesoft.util.PageDecorator.HeaderFooterDecoration.paint(HeaderFooterDecoration.java:2 03)
              at ice.pilots.html4.ThePrinter.printPage(Unknown source)
              at coldfusion.document.DocumentSection.process(DocumentSection.java:225)

Since I can't see the internals of these classes, I can't really troubleshoot any further. Can an Adobe person with access to the source code help to shed some light on what might be going on here?

I will continue to try to reproduce this problem and attempt to boil it down to a simple-ish test case. I just don't know how successful I'll be since it seems to be an intermittent problem.

Oh, and obviously I know that CF 7 is getting pretty long in the tooth, but we can't afford to pay thousands to upgrade right now and then spend hours and hours setting it up, testing, and fixing the inevetible upgrade issues.

Thanks for reading! Hope someone can help...

CF Version:                  7,0,2,142559  

Update Level: cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/WEB-INF/cfusion/lib/updates/hf702-70523.jar 

• 1. Re: Hung CFDocument threads
          cvleon Level 1

As far as I can tell, running the exact same request (that hung before) works for me, and quickly (<10 sec). As I suspected, this problem is intermittent and non-deterministic, so I don't think I'm going to be able to come up with a simplified test case.