5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 8:33 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Making Paths from a scanned .ai file

Shenzi1 Level 1

Hello

I have a scanned image of black ink upon a white page, originally located on a notepad, now scanned to ai. I would like to create paths from all the black images upon it, so that I may both tidy it up and use some of the.

This is probably a really simple process but I'm stumped how to do it.

Can someone please advise me?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Making Paths from a scanned .ai file
          Scott Falkner Level 5

ALWAYS tell us the version number.

If your version is 12 or higher try using Live Paint, found under the Object menu. Get more info in the help files or JFGI.

• 2. Re: Making Paths from a scanned .ai file
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Scott Falkner wrote:

ALWAYS tell us the version number.

If your version is 12 or higher try using Live Paint, found under the Object menu. Get more info in the help files or JFGI.

Of course Scott means Live Trace and not Live Paint although once you have it traced Live paint might come in handy.

Sott just made a typo, he is very knowledgeable about Illustrator.

• 3. Re: Making Paths from a scanned .ai file
              Scott Falkner Level 5

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Sott just made a typo, he is very knowledgeable about Illustrator.

High praise, Wad.

• 4. Re: Making Paths from a scanned .ai file
                Shenzi1 Level 1

Hello again.

Many apologies for not being clearer.

my version is Illustrator CS4.

I have used live trace, but this does not achieve what I had in mind.

With live trace it creates a vectorised image which includes the entire white background .

Individually hand drawn lines are not editable, only the entire rectangular scan or cropped area [which includes blank background page from the notepad]..

What it appears i want to do is crop around the specific drawing I wish to work with, and somehow delete the white background. much the same as you can do with the eraser tools in Photoshop. but it seems there is no option for this.

Perhaps some sort of workflow in which an image has all the white areas deleted in Photoshop, but once again this would need to be be some sort of batch process [hundreds of images].

I could be rambling here. :)..

• 5. Re: Making Paths from a scanned .ai file
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Shenzi1

there is an option in the live trace options to ignore white! which will make it transparent. So it might yet work for you.

1 person found this helpful