16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 7:50 AM by the_wine_snob

Element 4 Q.

noavailablescreenname

This is not about the sceen name problem but I had to mention it. It keeps showing "screen name not availbale" that's how I ended up with this.

So my Element question. It came with the computer and only used it twice, but once again I find myselft wanting to adjust the something with out touching something else. In this case, I have a clip and I want to increse the volume. I assume it's the best to leave the video as is, so I load the file, adjust the sound, but then I can't save it without picking the video stuff. I am just looking for a place to click "leave video as is". Can't find one.

Now I remember the last time I wanted to just show a picture with the sound, but from the filesize it looked like it was making a video of the picture.

A picture and some sound, should be smaller than a video, right?

So if anyone has any idea on either on this, please let me know.

thanks

• 1. Re: Element 4 Q.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what you're saying, noavailable.

It's certainly available to take a clip, adjust the audio levels, save the audio but no video, save the video with no audio, trim the clip and only use a portion of it and pretty much any other changes you'd like to make. And certainly you can make an adjustment to the audio in one spot without affecting the audio in another.

Maybe if you can tell us what you're putting into a project and what you'd like to get out of it we can offer some suggestions.

• 2. Re: Element 4 Q.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I am with Steve. I am not sure where, in the program you are, or what you wish to do with your Clips. If you wish to only edit the Audio, that might be easier in a program, like Audacity.

Also, from PrE, one can Export either the Audio, or the Video as individual files. Could that be what you are looking for?

Please restate what you have on the Timeline, and what you want to do with it. It's not THAT late here, but it has been a long day.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Element 4 Q.
              noavailablescreenname Level 1

I just want to increase the volume on a file. It's mpeg. I thought video and sound are separate layers, but I don't see them. So when I increase the sound and go to save, there is no setting such as "original video" (codex and settings) or just "don't touch the video" setting.

Every file comes with code used and settings info. Why doesn't saving start with that instead of giving me a headache with the choices?!

thanks

• 4. Re: Element 4 Q.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Again, I'm just not getting what you're saying, no.

You can increase the volume or gain for any clip and export it as a new clip, leaving your original clip untouched.

But the program does also use a DV-AVI workflow. So whatever video format you put into is assimilated and rendered as a DV-AVI while you're working on it. What you ultimately export (or Share) has nothing to do with the format of the original file.

• 5. Re: Element 4 Q.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If your MPEG AV file is muxed (multiplexed with both Audio & Video), and PrE can see it as such, you WILL get your Video on a Video Track, and your Audio on an Audio Track. Now, there can be issues with muxed MPEG files, but you can check out, whether PrE was able to see both parts, by going to your Project Panel and locating that file. Dbl-click on it, to open it in the Source Monitor and play it. Do you get both Audio & Video? If not, then there is a problem with PrE seeing that file correctly.

Now, once you have adjusted your Audio (can also be done in a separate audio editing program, like the free Audacity), you CAN Share/Export in many formats, and as Video-only, or Audio-only files. Exactly how one does this, depends on the file format that they choose in Share/Export. What format do you want? We'll point you in the direction for the settings, and their location, for your intended format.

Also, if one only wants to adjust and edit the Audio portion, and wants a separate (non-muxed) Audio file from it, the easiest way to do this would be to use Audacity to "rip" the Audio from the muxed AV file. Once the Audio editing is complete, a Save_As would get you that Audio-only file. I'd strongly suggest doing the Save_As to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. That will give you the best quality and also make it easy to use in most NLE programs. This is actually easier than working on the Audio in PrE, and offers more controls.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Element 4 Q.

hahaha. This is funny. I wanted to upload the file for you to see it. Well, it's 24mb. Strike one.

So I said I will take the file, cut a piece of it and upload that for you to see what I am dealing with.

After loading it in, I dragged it to sceneline and use the beginning and the end markers to take a piece.

Now all I have to do is save it, so I can upload it.

Share is the only way I know how to save it. As soon as I click on it, it wants me to save it as flash video. That would change the file, so you wouldn't see what I got here, which is the same problem I am complaining about not being able "not change" the file (video part). Strike two.

Thanks for the suggestion about the other program, but I don't have it. I have this, just need to make it work.

• 7. Re: Element 4 Q.

On another note, thanks to Adobe to make the property window not accessible to copy, so I can spend my time typing it in.

I'm not doing that right now.

• 8. Re: Element 4 Q.

So I uploaded it to another place. I think you have 7 days to download it.

It's 24mb. My favorite version of "Special" from Garbage.

Here

• 9. Re: Element 4 Q.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I downloaded the file, and then ripped the Audio in Audacity. First thing that I noticed was that much was already clipped. I am not sure what the Audio should have been like, but there were heavy transients, that seemed to be on the beat. Normalize (-3dB) got things closer together, and then on could adjust the levels, but those transients were very loud, and horribly distracting. Again, I am not sure what the Auido should have sounded like, so I can only judge on that limited basis.

In Adobe Audition, one can manually address each transient, but I'm not sure that is what you want to do. Maybe they are an integral part of the Audio?

If it's just the levels, transients and all, then Audacity will do it for you. Open just the Audio protion, adjust levesl, and do a Save. Import that new .WAV file into PrE and replace the existing Audio portion - done. Still, there are those transients...

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Element 4 Q.

I appreciate you trying to help. The sound is what it is, I just know it's better than what is on youtube now for the same clip.

However, my question wasn't answered. I haven't looked into what you mean by replacing the audio portion, but I assume it's adding the sound to the video clip, after which I would have to save the whole thing, and now I am back to picking codecs and reencode (or rerendering if that's what it's called ).

I will not get audacity either.

Since the video of this is bad anyway, I will just make adjustment to the audio and maybe to the video too. I can't make it worse , but I still would have like an answer to my question.

I conclude that there is no way to adjust the sound of this file without touching the video.

On to the next thing.

• 11. Re: Element 4 Q.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I conclude that there is no way to adjust the sound of this file without touching the video

Well, yes, but also no.

One can edit the Audio, independent from the Video. The Audio that is muxed (multiplexed) into the AV source file, can be easily replaced by the edited Audio. If you Atl-click on just the Audio Clip (or Video Clip if you wish to separate it from the Audio), you can do all sorts of editing to it.

Now, for the no, one DOES have to then Export the file, but then if one has edited, say the Video, they would have to do this anyway. The Project file, .prel, that gets Saved, does not contain any media. It cannot be played, but only Opened in PrE, so long as the original media files are still available. This ARTICLE discusses the differences.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Element 4 Q.
                                Adam Adamowicz Level 1

I think I know what You want to do  "noavailablescreenname". You want to rise audio volume in source video file without affecting a video stream.

If so "Noav..." I think You can't do this with MPEG in PrE.

I don't know the solution for MPEGs, but I can share one for AVIs

You can do this in "VirtualDub", a helpful freeware.

"VirtualDubMPEG-2" version have ability to load MPEGs, but It won't be able to "direct stream copy" MPEGs video stream. It saves only AVI

For AVI it looks like this:

V1

- Open Your media in VirtualDub

- menu [video]->[direct stream copy]

- menu [audio]->[Full processing mode]

- menu [audio]->[Compression...] - choose compression you want or leave for PCM audio

- menu [audio]->[volume] - adjust volume (you have no control for avoiding clipping)

- menu [file]->[save as avi...]

V2

- menu [audio]->[Full processing mode]

- menu [audio]->[Compression...] - choose compression you want or leave for PCM audio

- menu [audio]->[Use advanced filtering] - allows you to use filters

- menu [audio]->[filters] - use gain filter (you have no control for avoiding clipping)

V3

- menu [file]->[save wave]

- edit your wave with external software like Audacity (You have much more control on audio quality and clipping)

- menu [audio]->[direct stream copy]

- menu [audio]->[Browse for audio...] - choose Your modified wave file

I would appreciate if someone does have a similar solution for MPEGs

Adam

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Element 4 Q.

Thanks. You worked a lot for this. Too bad Premiere can't do it.

• 14. Re: Element 4 Q.
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, where are you in the tests? What have you done, that will not increase the levels of the Audio?

This is normally easy, via several different methods, and I cannot believe that PrE will not allow you to do it. There has to be something else afoot.

If you list what you tried, and the results, we can probably find what is wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Element 4 Q.
                                      Adam Adamowicz Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

OK, where are you in the tests? What have you done, that will not increase the levels of the Audio?

This is normally easy, via several different methods, and I cannot believe that PrE will not allow you to do it. There has to be something else afoot.

I don't know do we understand altogether. (English is not a native language for me)

Of course PrE will allow to add volume or gain, or even process compressing effects to rise readability of audio and much more. That's quite clear.

But "Noav...longname" wants to do it in the source MPEG file (no affecting video stream). As You wrote in other posts (or that was Grisetti?) Premiere has no option called "smart render" and it finally will reencode MPEG's video stream too.

Adam

• 16. Re: Element 4 Q.
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

I see your point. English is supposed to be my "native language," but I am from Mississippi, so I think that I missed the OP's point. Now it makes more sense to me, thanks to your clarification.

Also, thanks for the instructions on getting the OP sorted out with the MPEG files.

Appreciated,

Hunt