17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 4:18 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.

Pat_RICK1234 Level 1

I have finished my movie on PRE 8 and burned it on a DVD in high quality. The problem is the background music works, but the audio from the videos is dropped out. When I play it on PRE 8, the audio works perfectly. The video and audio comes from a JVC Everio HDD. Everything works fine until I burn it.

I did not use Instant Movie or Audio Mixer because I did it manually.

Is there anything I need to do before I burn the DVD, or do I need special settings?

Another problem I have is that Organizer turns off and does not work.

• 1. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is about the third similar post on parts of Audio dropping out, when going to DVD.

Though the JVC cameras' files can present problems, this does not seem to be your case, as you have Imported and edited fine so far.

There are a couple of places, where one can set exactly which Audio Tracks are used in the mix. I think that I went through each one, for the previous posters, with small screen-caps of the locations and the controls. As the little "camera" icon for attaching screen-caps has been broken by the recent forum software upgrade, I'm going to find as many of those threads, as I can, and will post links.

Look through those threads, and just check these locations first, and then we can do a step-by-step on troubleshooting.

Give me a few minutes to gather links for you to read.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's start with this ARTICLE first. Take a look at the suggestions in it.

- More to come -

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's another similar ARTICLE, that might help.

- More to come -

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a third ARTICLE on similar subject. IIRC, there is at least one more similar article. Maybe it's on the Muvipix forum.

I'll keep searching, and will post any links that I find. In the meantime, look over the locations and think about the tips in these articles, to see if maybe something in any helps your exact situation. At least these will allow us to rule a bunch of stuff out.

I'll check back in a bit, and see if you have made progress, and I'll add any additional article links.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                  Pat_RICK1234 Level 1

Thank you for the articles, but I tried what it said and everything seemed fine. The audio is fine during playback on PrE, but after burning, all I get the background music. I got the music from iTunes, though, so that may be a problem because it said that mp3s have some problems.

Even when I but the volume on the clip at 6.0 dB it still does not work. Also, I do have yellow bands in my clips, but they are not completely straight in the middle.

Thanks

Patrick

• 6. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Patrick,

I do have yellow bands in my clips, but they are not completely straight in the middle.

That means the the fixed Effect>Volume has been adjusted in the areas, where the line is no longer straight. It's easy to accidently grab the "rubberband" and drag it about. I find that they are too easily grabbed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you've worked through the suggestions in those other articles, and no change.

Let's start troubleshooting. Can you do a screen-cap of your Timeline and attach it. Make sure that it shows exactly which Tracks your various Clips are on, and it would be helpful to have you click on one of the Audio Clps that is NOT making its way to the DVD. Then, go to Effects tab, and then to the Edit Effects button. This will bring up the Effects Control Panel for that Clip. There should be only one Effect in the Audio, the fixed Effect>Volume, unless you added others. Click on the little triangle beside its name, so that it's open too. This will give everyone a good look at your Project with some of the necessary details.

After you do the screen-cap and post it, go to Window>Audio Mixer and open that. Play your Timeline and watch the meters, especially the ones for the Tracks that are not making it to the DVD. Do they respond to the Audio on those Clips?

Let us know how it goes and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                        Pat_RICK1234 Level 1

I already tried the audio mixer,but everything worked fine and showed up. The problem is that not only one of the clips is missing audio, all of them are.

Would it help if I saved my movie on a flash drive in Quicktime format, because this will be presented on a Macbook?

• 10. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I already tried the audio mixer,but everything worked fine and showed up. The problem is that not only one of the clips is missing audio, all of them are.

It is almost as though your AV's Audio Track is disabled. However, this should affect the meters and also the monitoring in playback, and not just in burning to DVD.

Would it help if I saved my movie on a flash drive in Quicktime format, because this will be presented on a Macbook?

As long as your Share/Export to .MOV gets the Audio, this should work fine.

Right now, your images are still in queue, but I'll check them out, when they appear.

I am baffled by this. If the Audio is in your Timeline, and plays there, I cannot think of any reason that it does not Transcode to the DVD. PrE does a mixdown to stereo, and then Transcodes to either PCM/WAV, or DD AC3 (not DD 5.1 SS). This is a very coomon operation, and there are seldom any problems.

Now, I notice that your AV file is .MOD. What are the Audio specs for those files? Are they DD 5.1 SS?

I'm also looking at the screen-cap below, but do not see any issues. You've added Volume Keyframes, but I see no real issues there. Maybe someone else will see what I might be missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                            Pat_RICK1234 Level 1

I tried to save the movie without background music, but that does not work either. I cannot just redo everything on Windows Movie Maker, because everything worked until now and I did a lot of editing. I do not know what the audio specs are. Is there a way to format the audio in a video so that it works? If so, what specs do I need for the audio to work properly?

Thanks

Patrick

• 12. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Patrick,

You gave me an idea for two tests. They are simple and fairly quick and will not require any real editing in PrE, or another NLE.

Test 1:

From Export/Share, Export your movie. I think you are doing SD/DVD work, so choose DV-AVI. Export just the Video (checkbox for Video and Audio, and you want Video only). This will give you a silent Video-only file. Now, Export>Audio (choose PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit) to get an Audio-only file. Test this Audio-only file. Did you get both the AV's Audio and your Soundtrack? You should. Then, create a new Project to the right specs., and Import those two files. Note, your exact placement of the Audio-only file might not be on Audio Track 1, and just let it go to Audio Track 2. I'd not use Narration, or Soundtrack. Test. Burn to a DVD RW disc, so you do not create a coaster, and test again.

Test 2:

Do a Save_As, name and locate it. Delete your music from the Soundtrack. Export/Share the movie with both Audio & Video. Test. If things are working now, without the Soundtrack, I'd bring in your music, but try placing it on Audio Track 2. Test. Note: an alternative to this would be to do two Save_As Projects. In one, remove the AV's Audio completely, and then Share/Export just your Soundtrack as an Audio-only file. Choose the same PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Then Import that into the first Save_As, the one with no music. Again, try placing this file on Audio Track 2. Test.

I worry that maybe one, or both of the fixed Audio Tracks, Narration, and/or Soundtrack, is getting in the way. The above tests will be quick and should get you the results that you need, with what you have. The tests will also tell us if something is wrong with the Soundtrack Track, as it seems to be killing the AV's Audio on Audio Track 1.

Good luck, and please report,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I do not know what the audio specs are.

The best, most thorough way to get the info, is with a freeware utiltiy, G-Spot. Install it, and drag one of your files to it. You will get complete Audio and Video info.

Is there a way to format the audio in a video so that it works?

That is basically what I am suggesting with my two tests above. You will end up with Audio-only (one test will have those mixed, and one will be Audio-only for the Soundtrack. You can do the same, by choosing the proper Save_As Project, for the AV's Audio.) in the proper DVD format, i.e. PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit.

Good luck, and please report,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                                  Pat_RICK1234 Level 1

Thank you for the two test ideas. I tried both of them, but both turned out with no sound from the clips. I tried another test that actually worked with sound, but it involved only one clip and did not work with the whole movie.

I opened a new save as file. Then I took a clip from the movie I made and inserted it into the sceneline. PrE asked me if I would like it to fix quality problems in the clip. I clicked on no. After, I, saved it on my computer as a DV-AVI file with audio and video.

When I was done and played on Windows Media Player, It worked with sound and video, but the quality was worse than without sound.

Any ideas on how I could save the whole movie like I did the single clip, but with better quality?

When I tried it, it did not work.

Thanks

Patrick

• 15. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Patrick,

What did G-Spot tell you about your Assets, both the Audio and the Video? This is likely something there.

Good luck, and sorry that the tests were not useful.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                                      Pat_RICK1234 Level 1

Thanks for the help. Your tests gave me an idea and I tried doing every clip seperately and it worked. The problem was that when PrE fixed quality, it messed up the finalization and the audio.

The movie finally works, thanks for the help.

Patrick

• 17. Re: Audio dropped out when burned on DVD - PRE.
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        The problem was that when PrE fixed quality, it messed up the finalization and the audio.

Odd, but the next line is a great one:

The movie finally works, thanks for the help.

You are most welcome!

Hunt