2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 9:57 PM by Jeff Schewe

New adobe DNG converter and CS4 quality problems - EOS 7D

Spc..

Hi,

A friend of mine uses Adobe Photoshop CS2.

He plans to buy Canon EOS 7D or EOS 5D Mark II in the future but first we did some tests and conversions.

We found many problems and quality issues.

First Problem is that CS2 doesn't support Canon EOS 7D directly so user has to use DNG Converter to convert the EOS 7D file from .cr2 to a .dng.

When i use and test this, CS2 recognizes and opens .dng file correctly then i optimize sharpness, color etc etc in the photoshop and save the file from the file menu (Save AS) as .jpg file.

Adobe Photoshop CS2 fails to save exif data.

It just saves the camera model nothing else.

On the other hand if i use CS4 it saves all exif data (without dng):

http://www.netsky.org/dngcs2cs4raw.jpg

The next problem is quality.

If i use indentical settings in RAW converted between CS2 (dng) and CS4 (cr2) CS2 images look sharper and have more "per pixel sharpness" than CS4 raw images.

Here's a sample (raw file taken from dpreview.com) that i tested it using both raw converters:

http://www.netsky.org/CS2vsCS4raw.jpg

So these are two problems that i don't like nor does my friend and i am asking you if you would fix that and why such hudge difference ?

As the CS4 is being the newest the best of all photoshop it should had better picture but in this case the older version has better picture and i don't see any logic in that.

So if user wants to go for better quality he/she will pick CS2 but have a disadvantage - Exif is not saved in the .jpg file.

I also think that if dpreview would have used CS2 instead of CS4 they would get much higher "per pixel sharpness" from Canon EOS 7D as they did now.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: New adobe DNG converter and CS4 quality problems - EOS 7D
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Spc.. wrote:

If i use indentical settings in RAW converted between CS2 (dng) and CS4 (cr2) CS2 images look sharper and have more "per pixel sharpness" than CS4 raw images.

You can't use the exact same settings since the settings in ACR 3.x (Photoshop CS2) don't match up to ACR 5.x (Photoshop CS4).

Seriously, there was a major change in ACR 4 and then 5 that make comparing ACR 3.x and 5.x pretty pointless...

Fact is if you aren't getting optimal results from Camera Raw 5.x then you don't know how to use it...simple as that.

ACR 3.x had a very crude image sharpening process compared to either ACR 4.1 and above of any 5.x version.

Seriously, Photoshop CS2 and Camera Raw 3.x is way old tech...if you can't get better IQ from 5.x you are doing something wrong.

• 2. Re: New adobe DNG converter and CS4 quality problems - EOS 7D
            Spc.. Level 1

Thanks for reply.

So any suggestions what setting should i set to get allmost indentical IQ that CS2 produces ?