11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 11:30 PM by JaosnJoseph

Flash Catalyst and XML

ross_dan

Hello,

First off, thank you for all the efforts you've put into developing FC. I'm definitely not code-inclined and this makes website development SO MUCH EASIER.

My issue is with the creation of button-controlled slideshows for my portfolios. Rather than create many states for the slideshow and deal with the transitions for all of them (this is my understanding of how it would need to be done), I created a flash gallery in Lightroom 2.5 and imported the SWF into FC. When I test run the site, the nav buttons for the viewer come up, but no images will appear.  Is there any way that I can point the SWF embedded in the FXP to the xml data that describes image location or is there something else I should be doing?

Thank you,

Dan

• 1. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
          acath Level 4

Hi Dan,

I'm not familiar with that feature of Lightroom. When you publish the SWF gallery, what files does Lightroom create?

-Adam

• 2. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
            ross_dan Level 1

Under the Web module of lightroom, I selected the Autoviewer flash gallery, added my images and exported. It creates an SWF file, an xml file, a folder with the websized images, a html index and a small javascript file. My understanding is that when the swf is opened, it reads data from the xml file that points where the images are located and what size they should be displayed at.

When i import this SWF into FC, the nav buttons display when i test the page, but none of the content will display, leading me to think there's an issue with XML. Same result when I use a gallery component called SlideShow Pro that I purchased for Flash. I create a document with this component, but it uses an XML file as well to find where the images are located.

The only work around i have is making the gallery manually in Flash CS4, but I'm pretty terrible with my actionscript and it isn't working out too well.

Let me know if you need me to post some attachments.

Regards,

Dan

• 3. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
              acath Level 4

I think your inference is correct: the gallery SWF looks for its companion files when it is loaded. Finding none, it doesn't load any content.

When you import a SWF into Catalyst, it is included as part of your project. The other files will be left behind. You can definitely make this work in Flash Builder...let me ask around to see if there is a way to do it in FC.

-Adam

• 4. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
                acath Level 4

Hi Ross,

I think I thought of a way to do this, but you'll have to verify that it works for you.

Once you publish your project (File > Publish SWF), you'll have two folders: run-local and deploy-to-web. Inside those folders you'll find the SWF that you imported. It may be in a nested folder (like assets/images). Grab the rest of the files that were created by Lightroom and stick them next to the SWF. They should be in the same location relative to the SWF that they were when Lightroom created them (e.g. if Lightroom put the XML file in a folder called "data" next to the SWF, put that whole folder next to the SWF). Now if you run your published project, the Lightroom SWF should be able to find the XML files.

Lemme know if it works.

-Adam

• 5. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
                  ross_dan Level 1

Hey Adam,

Couldn't get it to work. When i export to SWF, i do have the local and deploy folders, but nowhere in them is the viewer.swf created by the lightroom gallery. There is no 'assets' folder either. I tried dragging the all the files from the LR gallery into the run-local folder and run the main.swf, all i got is the nav buttons for the slideshow but it seems it still isn't readying the xml data for the images. Am i exporting incorrectly from FC to cause the viewer.swf to not appear with the rest of the files?

Thanks,

Dan

• 6. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
                    acath Level 4

Hi Dan,

Looks like I gave you bogus info. The steps I gave you work in the current (private) build, but not in Beta 2. You'll have to wait for the next version. Sorry about that!

-Adam

• 7. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
                      ross_dan Level 1

Okay, no problem! Looking forward to the next version.

In the meantime, you mentioned that it may be possible to use FB to acheive XML compatibility.   I downloaded the FB beta, but can't make heads of it. Is it a simple process? If not, don't worry about it, I'll wait till the next FC release (any idea on a timeline for it?)

Thanks for all your assistance!

Dan

• 8. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
                        acath Level 4

Hi Dan,

FB is a programmer's tool, so it makes total sense that you were confused by it. I brought it up because FC projects can always be brought into FB for further development - but you will need to know how to write Flex code. In this case, you're probably better off sticking with FC.

Unfortunately, we haven't yet announced the date for the next FB release. Just sit tight =).

-Adam

• 9. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
                          ross_dan Level 1

Any word yet on when the next release supporting xml will be available?

Thanks,

Dan

• 10. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
                            Rob_Niagara

I have played with this for a few hours and have a partial solution and it requires practically no coding in Flash Builder.

1) Open the created *.fxp in Flash Builder.

2) Open Main.mxml in (default package),  search for and remove preloaderBaseColor="#000000" from it. It seems to be creating an error, probably an FC, FB4 incompatibility.

3) Go the the folder created by Lightroom and drag/drop it's content into src.

4) Test the page - it works!!!

Only major problem is that it broken once exported, and I can't figure out why! Any suggestions?

• 11. Re: Flash Catalyst and XML
                              JaosnJoseph

Hello everyone...

Im haveing a terrible time with something I'm sure is simple

I inserted a swf of a slideshow generated in SlideShow Pro ( via Lightroom)

INTO a Catalyst project.... and it works great.. I can upload it  and it will work

PROBLEM IS:

The Slideshow Pro gallery is supposed to allow beautiful full screen display of the images...

but when I click the full screen icon in the gallery.. the PROJECT itself goes full screen! and NOT the slideshow itself!

PLEASE help if anyone has any insight.