5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 11:54 AM by Mylenium

CS4 installed everything except Illustrator CS4, can someone help?

nlewis2

I purchased the Education Edition of CS4 Design Premium a couple of weeks ago and was able to install everything except Illustrator. I'm on an iMac, that's a little over a year old, running on OS X 10.5.8.

Here's the steps I took and what I encountered when I got everything else installed. I mounted the Installer that I downloaded from Adobe, double clicked on the Setup file, checked all, clicked Install. I got a number of Installation Error messages, but I just clicked Continue each time and it seemed to install everything properly!

Everything except Illustrator.

Now when I relaunch the Installer, it shows me all the programs that are installed and the ones that are remaining, which are Illustrator and Version Cue. Since I don't need Version Cue, I check Illustrator and click Install and then it freezes on the Preparing to Install.

I used to have Illustrator CS2 working on my machine, but I deleted it prior to installing CS4. I've also deleted the old CS2 Plug-Ins Folder and Preferences file from my User Library, and still no luck.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: CS4 installed everything except Illustrator CS4, can someone help?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You have to uninstall not delete it, though that should not be the problem.

I would deactivate the Creative Suites from any running program in the Suites go the Help>Deactivate

I would uninstall everything going to the Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers/Add Remove Adobe Design Premium and uninstall the whole matter.

Then I would quit all programs and including Safari and any Adobe programs.

Then I would reinstall the suites and if you continue to get the same error messages I would contact customer service about the install.

BTW this type of error is often produced by a pirate version of the software but of course things can go wrong on a legitimate copy.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS4 installed everything except Illustrator CS4, can someone help?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            I got a number of Installation Error messages, but I just clicked Continue each time and it seemed to install everything properly!

Well, exactly the point - it seemed to install everything, but it hasn't. What did the messages say? In any case, at this point you will probably have to use the CS4 Clean Script and just start over...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS4 installed everything except Illustrator CS4, can someone help?
              nlewis2 Level 1

Thanks for the response. I did what you suggested and uninstalled everything, ran the clean script and tried again. Unfortunately, the same thing happened. When I received the errors, I just clicked continue each time and everything installed except Illustrator. When I clicked the More Information button, is says "Adobe Color EU Extra Settings CS4, Error:, Error 2" and Adobe Color JA Extra Settings CS4, Error:, Error 2."

I have a case opened with Adobe, but they are very backed up with tech support issues. Any other suggestions would be a big help, thanks!

P.S. Perhaps I should mention that I did have some "borrowed" CS2 versions of the software on my computer prior to finally purchasing CS4. I removed all supporting CS2 files that I could find by moving them to the trash and emptying. I hoping though that that's not the reason why this is happening!

• 4. Re: CS4 installed everything except Illustrator CS4, can someone help?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Yes  I would say that is probably the reason you should use the uninstallers to remove your software and not just through stuff in the trash without really knowing what the files actuslly do.

I would say at this point you are going to need some very specific instructions on how to clean all this up.

If on the Mac then an archival reinstall of the system would do it.

BTW not that I think you did this but those errors if i am not mistaken look like errors one might get if they had at some point installed Pirated software at some point.

That doesn't mean you cannot also get this error by doing what you did. it was a very bad move you made.

• 5. Re: CS4 installed everything except Illustrator CS4, can someone help?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I agree with Wade. The problems are probably with your "borrowed" software. You may have trashed the physical files, but the color profiles are still being referenced somewhere and the CS4 installer recognizes this and never installs the newer versions of the profiles. Your only way out is probably to uninstall everything Adobe, then delete the caps DB (which tracks each and every install persistently for eternity) it should be in Library:Application Support:Adobe:caps. Be warned: You really must get rid of all Adobe apps first, then reinstall them cleanly. Once the caps.db is gone, there will be no automatic updates and shared features such as Bridge will not work correctly at all. Only a re-install can make this work again.

Mylenium