7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 10:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Clips are darker when opened in CS4.

zjimbo Level 1

They were ligher when I opened them in CS3. I have currently started the same project over again in CS4 and I can tell the video is not as light.

Can anyone tell me why?

And is there a way to fix the problem without going to the effects and working on each clip?

Thanks Jim

• 1. Re: Clips are darker when opened in CS4.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You can only judge that on a properly calibrated external monitor. Did you do that?

• 2. Re: Clips are darker when opened in CS4.
            zjimbo Level 1

No Sir I did not. However I do remember they were brighter in CS3. However it may not show up when I do see it on a good monitor, but for now all I have is my computer monitor.

• 3. Re: Clips are darker when opened in CS4.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

To judge your perceived difference, you can export a small piece of a CS3 timeline and a small piece of CS4 timeline to Encore, burn on a DVD-RW and play it on a settop box. Do you still see this difference?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Clips are darker when opened in CS4.
                shooternz Level 6

Suggestion ...If you have access to both CS3 and CS4 open the clip in each and screen grab the waveform scope.

You could also use some color bars in the process as well.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Clips are darker when opened in CS4.
                  zjimbo Level 1

Thanks you both: I do not have CS3 any longer and I am having trouble with Encore recognizing my DVD player. I will put a new thread on that however. But for now I will wait until I get the DVD going. Jim

• 6. Re: Clips are darker when opened in CS4.
                    westonwoodbury Level 1

I agree--get familiar with using the waveform scope and calibrating bars, that's the only way you'll tell if they are really different.

Monitors can be so very wrong.  And your cs3 and cs4 may be displaying things slightly differently, maybe due sequence codec differences, for example, but the video could indeed actually be the same.

I've had more of a problem after exporting from premiere, the video being 'lighter' because it looses it's full 0-255 color range.  I never could figure out why my stuff always looked better in the premeire monitor then after export, until I stumbled upon procoder, squeeze, and tmpgenc, which all have something to 'restore' the range.

Tyler

• 7. Re: Clips are darker when opened in CS4.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I am having trouble with Encore recognizing my DVD player. I will put a new thread on that however.

That is a good idea for several reasons. It will get that problem under a proper title, and will generate more solutions. In the future, others can search and locate by the new title.

Now, there are many reasons for Adobe NOT seeing the burner. Most are conflicts with other software. These will come out in detail in your new post. If you have not contemplated it, I'd post to the Encore forum, as there are some heavy-duty users, who frequent it, and do not show up here - more input for you.

Good luck,

Hunt