11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 8:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Unable to Apply Title Animation

Itay B. Level 1

Premiere Elements 8 doesn't let me apply title animation to a certain title.

The same track contains a few other titles, to which i was able to apply title animation without problem.

I tried dragging the problematic title (actually, problematic titleS) to a separate track, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Is there a solution/workaround?

Is this a known issue?

Where does the problem stem from?

• 1. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
          Itay B. Level 1

I managed to come up with an ad hoc solution to my plight by using the "Fade In" and "Fade Out" options from the titles' context menus. However this does not go to the root of the problem, because if i had wished to go for a different type of animation, i couldn't have used this workaround.

• 2. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This is the second Title Animation post in the last couple of days. The previous one was for PrE 2.0, IIRC.

In that case, I was able to add the Animation Presets to my test Project, without issue.

Normally, I will do all of my Title Animation by hand with various Effects and Keyframes, so I do not really know the Animation Presets that well. Also, I do not know, nor do I have PrE 8. There could be a glitch, a limit, etc., but I can't think of one. Maybe others can help there. Also, the Fade-In/Fade-Out are very simple, and I would not think that they would have an issue - but who knows?

As you have probably found out, you can manually create Fade-In/Fade-Out by Keyframing Effect>Opacity. Some of the others require more work.

Sorry that I can't really help here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Two thoughts:

1.) Are you trying to add both a Fade-In and a Fade-Out Title Animation to one Title? If so, use that Ctrl-K to cut your Title into two pieces, right in the middle. Add your choice of Fade-In to the first, and then your Fade-Out to the second.

2.) Do you have more than one line of text? Title Animations will ONLY apply to the top-most line. The way around this is to do a separate Title for each line, and place them above each other on the various Video Tracks. Thisis a limitation of the Title Animations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And remember that title animations can only be applied to a ONE LINE TITLE.

If your title has a return in it or is over one line long, the title animation won't work. (Just a nugget from my latest books.)

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
                  Itay B. Level 1

Thanks, Hunt & Steve,

You were both on target - the problematic title consisted of multiple lines.

Thank you very much for sharing your expertise with me.

• 6. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that we got it for you.

The workaround is to do multiple Titles, each with one line of Text. Place them one, above the other on the necessary Video Tracks. Apply the Animation Preset to each. You can also apply different Presets, depending on what you want. You can also stagger them, so that each line comes in, with the Animation Preset, one at a time. The choice is yours.

One can also manually Keyframe most of the Animation Presets, though some do require things like Track Matte Keying to get their "wipe," or similar Effects.

If you get into heavy Title Animation, have a look at both BluffTitler, and ProDAD's Heroglyph. Both are really neat.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Did you really mean to say what you posted regarding Premiere Elements text animation and ONE LINE TEXT? Or, am I misinterpreting what you wrote?

You can apply text animation to more than one line of text as described by me and others (even those at your own other forum). I believe it was JohnnyO who first showed the way. The link below is a how to thread that I posted on this topic at another forum that I frequent. It used as models the 4 and 7 versions of Premiere Elements. I have recently used the procedure successfully in Premiere Elements 8.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45501&highlight=Text+Animation

As I have stated in the thread in the link, the major "will not work" comes from using the roll or crawl option instead of the Still Title option with Text Animations. Text animation will not work with roll or crawl option.

I have actually done this in Premiere Elements 4, 7, and 8.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
                        Itay B. Level 1

A.T. Romano,

You're absolutely right!

I've followed the link and read your instructions there, and they solve the problem marvelously.

Besides, your instructions there are so incredibly lucid and easy to follow, that one is tempted to add multiline title animation even if if one hadn't planned on putting any title in the first place...

"He can play a bugle call like you've never heard before -

So natural that you want to go to war!"

Thank you.

• 9. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
                          Itay B. Level 1

Hunt,

You wrote:

Are you trying to add both a Fade-In and a Fade-Out Title Animation to one Title? If so, use that Ctrl-K to cut your Title into two pieces, right in the middle. Add your choice of Fade-In to the first, and then your Fade-Out to the second.

I've tried this, and the strangest thing happened. The animation i applied to one of the cut clips got applied automatically to the other one!

• 10. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that method. It simplifies creating three separate Titles (from your example), and then applying the Animation Presets to them individually.

Much appreciated. I suggest that this article be posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum for future use by forum members here.

Well done, and thank you for sharing,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Unable to Apply Title Animation
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Itay,

Thanks for pointing that out. I had neglected to take things into full consideration. What one has, with that method is two "instances" of the same Title. Duh! Any change to the Title will apply to all instances of that Title. One would need to create an identical Title, and butt them end to end, to apply the IN and the OUT animation Effect. In PrPro, there is a very neat feature, that creates a new Title (not just an instance of an existing Title, but a new one) based on the Title in the Titler Panel (the Title editing Panel). It's a one-click, then name, operation from a little icon at the upper-left of the Titler Panel. I am not sure of the exact steps that one needs to undertake to quickly do a Title, "based on an existing Title." It is probably with a Save to Template, or similar, but I will need to investigate, unless someone can immediately tell how this is most efficiently done.

Thank you for keeping me "honest!"

You are, of course, correct.

Appreciated,

Hunt