4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 11:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Saving a clip from footage

DanineM

I downloaded all my video footage. I split the footage and named the scenes. How do I individually save the scenes? for example I have new footage and want to make a dvd w/a scene from my old foootage. When I press save it saves all the footage on the timeline. Do I have to erase all the footage except the clip I want to save? Seems like there would be an easier way. Like how you can bring in a picture..can you just get that one clip?

• 1. Re: Saving a clip from footage
          nealeh Level 5

DanineM wrote:

How do I individually save the scenes? for example I have new footage and want to make a dvd w/a scene from my old foootage. When I press save it saves all the footage on the timeline.

No, was thinking of something else.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Saving a clip from footage
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

To output just a portion of your timeline, just set the Work Area Bar (the light gray bar along the ticker at the top of the timeline) so that it covers only the area you want to export. Then, when you choose your Share option, check the box that says Share Work Area Bar Only.

• 3. Re: Saving a clip from footage
              nealeh Level 5

Ha, I was just editing my earlier post to say the same (I was mixing the way PRE does it with the way Magix MoD does it).

At least it proves the answer to the question (in another discussion) of 'how long can a user edit his post?). In the time I was updating my answer your reply locked my message!

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Saving a clip from footage
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When I press save it saves all the footage on the timeline. Do I have to erase all the footage except the clip I want to save?

There is a bit of confusion on what Save is doing. It is NOT Saving your media, only the Project file, .prel. This ARTICLE will explain in more detail.

Now, if Iunderstand exactly what you want to do, there are basically two ways to do it. They differ by your exact needs:

1.) If you wish to eliminate all but certain footage, and then output just that footage to a DVD, you will first want to do a Save_As for your Project. This leaves your original Project intact, in case you ever want to go back to it. Then, in your Save_As Project, just delete all footage, that you do not want/need. Delete it from the Timeline first, and then you can delete any of the media, that is not now in the Timeline, to clean up the Project Panel. Tighten up any gaps, in case you did not have totally contiguous footage. Since you started with the Save_As (very important and that linked article will tell you why), you should do a Save now. When all editing, Titles, etc. is done, you can then Burn to Disc, to get your DVD.

2.) If you wish to create a new Project, but use certain segments from your original Project, you will want to Export those segments. If you have an SD/DVD Project, you will want to Export/Share to a DV-AVI file. To limit the Export to just the segment(s), that you want, you can use the WAB (Work Area Bar at the top of the Timeline) to limit what is Exported. Position the WAB, as is needed and then Export/Share to DV-AVI and make sure that you check the Work Area Bar Only button. You will be prompted to name and locate the resultant DV-AVI file. Do so. When done, go to New Project, establish its location, name and settings. Then, in that new Project, Import those Exported DV-AVI files, and edit away. When done, you would do the same as in the above example.

The choice is what you wish to do.

Good luck,

Hunt