17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 7:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8

CarlosWA

I prepared a slide show with The Organizer of Photoshop Elements 6 and produced a DVD which has good but not excellent image quality (I chose File Setting - High 800x600). To improve the DVD image quality I installed the trial version of Premiere Elements 8. I exported the slide show to Premiere Elements 8 and have several problems.

1 The image quality of the DVD produced by Premiere Elements 8 is worse than the one produced from The Organizer (Photoshop Elements 6).

2 The titles, transitions and soundtrack does not show in Premiere Elements 8.

3 The slides sequence in Premiere Elements 8 is different then the one in the slide show in The Organizer (Photoshop Elements 6).

At one time a menu popped up asking me if I wanted to convert the Catalogue of V6. I declined because I was afraid that the V6 catalogue may be replaced and I would not be able to go back to it.

Please help.

CarlosWA

• 1. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The porting of a slideshow from Photo Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8 probably will not go smoothly, Carlos. Especially if (as I assume you're doing) you use a WMV file as the interchange format and then don't render the final output.

If you've got Photo Elements 8, on the other hand, the slides move directly to Premiere Elements 8 in their native format, packed in a slideshow interchange format that you can even break apart if you'd like so you can work with the original photo files!

The other thing to remember is that, once your slides get to Premiere Elements, they are going to be in video resolution -- roughly the equivalent to 640x480 pixels. They're not going to look at detailed as the original photos.However, if you plan to burn them to a DVD or play them on your TV, they will look just fine. Even more so if you optimize the photos by sizing them to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size before you build your slideshow.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
            CarlosWA Level 1

I exported using in Slide Show > Output > Send to Premier Elements. Would you still say that I will get better results by exporting from Photoshop Elements 8?

Note that the features of Photoshop Elements 7

described at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WS6A553176-9866-46e4-9B83-3D3F7F1C81AD.ht ml

say

"Create a slide show in Photoshop Elements 6.0 or later with captions, transitions, effects, music, narration, graphics, and titles, and then bring the slide show into Adobe Premiere Elements for further editing or to burn to DVD. Note: The Send To Adobe Premiere Elements command in Photoshop Elements works only when you use Photoshop Elements 6.0 or later with Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 or later."

Txs,

Carlos

• 3. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can usually only use Send to Premiere Elements from the same generation of Photoshop Elements -- both version 7, both version 8, Photo Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4.  But, if you got it to work in the interchange format (i.e., you can right-click the file in Premiere Elements and select the option to Break Apart Slideshow), you'll all set!

And if that's the case, you're getting your photos in their native quality. The only difference is that they've been down-rezzed to 640x480 pixels, per my earlier post.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
                Barb__O Level 4

CarlosWA wrote:

I prepared a slide show with The Organizer of Photoshop Elements 6 and produced a DVD which has good but not excellent image quality (I chose File Setting - High 800x600). To improve the DVD image quality I installed the trial version of Premiere Elements 8. I exported the slide show to Premiere Elements 8 and have several problems.

1 The image quality of the DVD produced by Premiere Elements 8 is worse than the one produced from The Organizer (Photoshop Elements 6).

2 The titles, transitions and soundtrack does not show in Premiere Elements 8.

3 The slides sequence in Premiere Elements 8 is different then the one in the slide show in The Organizer (Photoshop Elements 6).

At one time a menu popped up asking me if I wanted to convert the Catalogue of V6. I declined because I was afraid that the V6 catalogue may be replaced and I would not be able to go back to it.

Please help.

CarlosWA

Carlos,

A --  There are some statements in your post which seem contradictory to me.

I don't think that your initial comparison is a like comparison: it is not an apples to apples comparison.

You comparison of 800x600 output from PSE must be that of a WMV file written to your hard drive and then burned to a DATA format DVD: this is because that is what PSE 6 can produce (unless of course you also had Premiere Elements 4). Then you are saying that you produced a DVD in Premiere Elements 8: I think this was probably a standard defintion VIDEO format DVD with effectively 720x480 resolution.

If your objective is to have higher resolution for computer playback (or if by chance you have a TV connected player that could play back a WMV file and a high def TV), then I think that doing a higher resolution than 800x600 WMV output would be an approach.

B --I have not seen a definitive statement from Adobe on whether sending a slideshow from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8 will work. Some people are interpreting lack of the explicit statement to me it will work and others are interpreting it to mean that it will not work.

However your results in your point 3 (slides in different sequence) and in your point 2 (titles, transition and soundtrack missing) seem to indicate that it is NOT working.

EDIT after reading Steve's recent post

If it is just that the slide show is combined into one "entitty" when you initially see it in Premiere Elements, then I do agree with Steve's comment to do the Break Apart". I was interpreting your comment differently that they were not present rather than not being individually identified. However, then I am still puzzled by your comment that the slides are in a different sequence.  Please give us more information. End of Edit

C -- Just to clarify:

Did you send individual photos to Premiere Elements OR did you choose "Send to Premiere Elements" as the OUTPUT command within the Photoshop Elements 6 Organizer Slide Show Editor?

• 5. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CarlosWA

I do not know how many times I have said this but, I have reported repeatedly that you can output the Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 Slideshow to Premiere Elements 8, using the Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 Slide Show Editor Output option "Send to Premiere Elements" and even have the Premiere Elements 8 break apart slideshow option active and available. This is contrary to what Adobe has put in its Read Me files. I am not sure if this is an error at the Technical Writer level or elsewhere. Before Premiere Elements 8, all of this was not true.

Summary:

Before Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8, you needed integrated sets for a Photoshop Elements Send to Premiere Elements AND having a Break Apart Slideshow option active and available in Premiere Elements. This applied to the integrated sets of:

Photoshop Elements 5/Premiere Elements 3

Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4

Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7

Now that Premiere Elements 8 is here, you do not need Photoshop Elements 8 integrated with Premiere Elements 8 for a Photoshop Elements Send to Premiere Elements AND having a Break Apart Slideshow option active and available in Premiere Elements. For reasons unknown, you can get the job done with:

Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 8

Photoshop Element 7/Premiere Elements 8

Apparently you also have found this to be true and have said as much. I have actually personally done tests on this matter repeatedly. I would suggest that your issues are not related to this supposed non integrated set business, but rather to other aspects which are common to preparation of a slideshow.

I will check back at another time to see how you are progressing.

ATR

(The .wmv route is not preferred because breaking up the Photoshop Elements slideshow for further edits in Premiere Elements is an issue. If you do opt to go this route, please remember to set the file size (also known as profile) of the .wmv to be written to NTSC or PAL DVD if you are going to be producing a standard DVD-VIDEO in Premiere Elements.)

• 6. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
                    Barb__O Level 4

Carlos,

I isolated this specific point because I don't think that there is sufficient information in your original statement. Therefore, I  suggest that you post a description of what the difference for the slides sequence is.

• 7. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
                      CarlosWA Level 1

As you said the images are all separate in Premiere Elements but with a lower resolution. However, the transitions, soundtraack and title pages were not transferred. I will try with Photo Elements 8.

Txs,

CarlosWA

• 8. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
                        CarlosWA Level 1

Barb,

Re A

You are correct. I used > Output > Save as a file (chose setting High 800x600). This wrote a WMV file to disc which I then used to burn a DVD. Sorry about the mistake on my initial post.

Re B

I will install Photoshop Elements 8 and convert my slide show to it. Then tranfer the slide show to Premiere Elements 8, produce a DVD and report the results.

Re C

I exported using in Slide Show > Output > Send to Premier Elements.

Txs,

CarlosWA

• 9. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8
                          Barb__O Level 4

Carlos,

I am still interested in knowing how the slide sequence was different in Premiere Elements - because that might indicate a problem that is totally different than we anticipated. .

ATR does not think that you should need to use Photoshop Elements 8 and if he is correct then it should have worked for you. Perhaps he will post again.

Barb

• 10. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 too  Premiere Elements 8
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

CarlosWA

I will printout a copy this entire thread in order to review all that has been said and done and. report back sometime tomorrow as soon as possible.

I will be watching your thread for the next few hours before I call it a day. So, if you want to summarize where you have been and where you are at now,

I will include that in my reading tonight.

As late as a few hours ago, I created a slideshow of about 19 oversized photos in Photoshop Elements 6 (to force an issue) and used the Photoshop Elements 6 Slide Show Editor Output option "Send to Premiere Elements" to transfer that slideshow (non .wmv version) automatically to Premiere Elements 8 where the break apart slideshow feature was active and functional. The photos all appear to be in the proper order, but I am now rendering that Premiere Elements 8 Timeline in order to get the best possible preview of the end product which will be DVD-VIDEO standard.

Please verify that you are in the Photoshop Elements 6 Slideshow Editor selecting the Output option "Send to Premiere Elements" and not in the Photoshop Elements 6 Organizer with your thumbnails arranged in a given order and highlighted, usng the File Menu there to "Send to Premiere Elements". I do not think that is the case, but just need to check that point out.

To be continued,

ATR

• 11. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 too  Premiere Elements 8
                              CarlosWA Level 1

I confirm that I was in the Photoshop Elements 6 Slideshow Editor selecting the Output option "Send to Premiere Elements."

Did you have titles, transitions and sound trac? Did they transfer to Premiere Elements? Was the quality of th eimages in Premier Eelements as good as in the Slide Show of the Photoshop Elements 6 Organizer?

Today, I will try to loook at the sequence which is not a simple task because the number of slides is large. Also, I will convert to Photoshop Elements 8 and try the transfer to Premiere Elements 8 again and see how it comes out.

Txs,

CarlosWA

• 12. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 too  Premiere Elements 8
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

CarlosWA

Conclusion.

My results are consistent with your problems NOT being associated with Photoshop Elements 6 slideshow being used instead a Photoshop Element 8 slideshow in the slideshow transfer to Premiere Elements 8.

Testing. Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 8.

First I created a slideshow in the Photoshop Elements 6 Slide Show Editor. It included:

(a) 19 jpeg photos each with pixel dimensions of 3264 x 2448 (that is not recommended pixel dimensions but was used to stress out the project if possible...these represent grossly oversized photos since the goal is DVD VIDEO with standard frame size of 720 x 480.)

(b) I used a Wipe transition between each

(c) I used text within the photos (included in the text was a sequential number so that I could more easily visually follow the sequence of the slideshow after it was transferred to Premiere Elements 8)

(d) I added two audio clips as soundtrack (the first I placed from beginning to just before the last two photos to pick up on any audio out of sync as well as loss of a whole audio clip)

(e) I used a pan and zoom effect for photos 1 and 2.

The quality of the preview in the Photoshop Elements 6 Slide Show Editor was good.

I outputted the Photoshop Elements 6 Slide Show Editor slideshow, using the Slide Show Edit Output option "Send to Premiere Elements". When I did, Premiere Elements 8 opened, I set the project preset, and it accepted the slideshow. In the Project Media area were

(a) a folder containing all the individual components of the slideshow

(b) the slideshow file in a video (grouped) form

The video (grouped) form had automatically been placed on the Timeline as well.

Everything transferred correctly. No problems. SEE IMPORTANT NOTE BELOW.

I even burned the Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO standard from Premiere Elements 8, and the DVD-VIDEO standard played back well on my 19 in LCD Widescreen TV.

Testing. Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8.

I repeated the above with Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8 and the same slideshow and obtained the same results.

IMPORTANT. Whether it was Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 8 or Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8, I had to render the Timeline in the Edit Mode in order to get the best possible preview so that I could determine/confirm what was on the Premiere Elements Timeline. And, rendering the Timeline as described with all those oversized photos took several hours.

This is what I need to know:

1. How many photos did you use in the slideshow in the Photoshop Elements 6 or 8 slideshow, and what were their pixel dimensions? If you do not know, you can check it out in Photoshop Elements Full Editor/Image Menu/Resize/Image Size dialog or just place your mouse course over the file on the hard drive and note the "dimensions".

2. If you transfer your slideshow from Photoshop Elements 6 or 8 to Premiere Elements 8, use the Output option "Send to Premiere Elements", and get your slideshow on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline, do you render that Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard so that the red line over the Timeline turns green when the process is complete?

3. Is your computer optimized, defragmented, cleaned up, scratch files directed to an external hard drive (NTFS formatted), etc. If you are using an external hard drive for the scratch files, is there enough space there for them?

4. What is your computer operating system and what are its resources, such as, available RAM and free hard drive space. Have you checked your computer's virtual memory set up?

Stay the course on this to rule in or out the above non wmv approach to getting your slideshow as a DVD-VIDEO. But if you do decide to detour over to Save As File Movie .wmv and you are dealing with oversized photos and an offending component in the slideshow, the the writing of the .wmv becomes a possible focus point for errors. And, if the .wmv is destined for DVD-VIDEO, then use the file size (also known as profile) = NTSC DVD (720 x 480).

I suspect that the problem core goes to

(a) use of oversized photos

(b) offending component in slideshow
                                (c) size of slideshow

(d) computer resources

(e) combination of all or any one of above

I will continue to watch for your progress.

ATR

• 13. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 too  Premiere Elements 8
                                  CarlosWA Level 1

Thank you for your detailed test.

Note that when I outputted the Photoshop Elements 6 Slide Show Editor slideshow, using the Slide Show Edit Output option "Send to Premiere Elements." In Premiere Elements 8 > Project Media area I did not see

(a) a folder containing all the individual components of the slideshow

(b) the slideshow file in a video (grouped) form

Instead I see the images on the right hand side panel but none in the Timeline. Where is the Project Media area?

At some point I saw a message asking wether I wanted to cenvert The Catalogue which I ignored. Could this be the problem?

Re 1. 785 photos and a duration of 28 minutes (exceeds recommended limit of 500 slides).

Different dimensions for different images. For a sample of 4 images the dimensions are

2304x3072, 3072x2304, 2304x3072, 2703x1802

Note that the quality of the preview in the Photoshop Elements 6 Slide Show was good.

Re 2. When I open the project in Premier Elements 8 the images appear separate in the right panel and are not in the Timeline. I moved them manually to the Timeline. Following your request I selected a sample of 12 images in the Timeline and press the Enter key and they were rendered. The line over the Timeline is blue when the rendering is completed.

Re 3. Yes and using 2 NTFS internal drives. No external drives are used.

Re 4. Windows Vista

Processor Intel® Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

RAM is 3 GB

Virtual memory is 6.3 GB total and 3.8 GB available.

I will next try to redo the transfer with 40 images and report the results on this thread.

Txs CarlosWA

• 14. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 too  Premiere Elements 8
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

CarlosWA

Thanks for the follow up.

First, the Project Media view is found:

click on the Organizer Tab (Blue)

look to the far right in the row below the Organizer Tab...you should see a Project Tab (Black)...click on that to open the Project Media view

If you have been working with over 700 photos with those oversized pixel dimension that you just cited, you are no doubt suffering from the "use of oversized photos" for the standard of the project. The use of 40, rather than 700+, oversized photos probably will not resolve the issues. If your project is destined for DVD-VIDEO (with its standardized frame size = 720 x 480), then you will need to resize your photos not to exceed 1000 x 750. You can resize photos in Photoshop Elements via File Menu/Process Multiple Files or in Photoshop via File Menu/Automate/Batch as is or with the assist of an action that you create for the purpose.

Let us know if you need a step by step on resizing photos.

ATR

• 15. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 too  Premiere Elements 8
                                      CarlosWA Level 1

I did a test with 43 images.

In APE 6 I used Output > Send to Premier Elements 8.

Premier Elements 8 shows a project with all the images, transitions, , titles ages, sound and they were in the right sequence.

In Premiere I produced a DVD selecting Highest Quality.

The Premiere DVD has the same image quality as the one I produced in Photoshop Elements - The Organizer 6 by outputing a slide show to a disk WMV file and then using 3rd party software to create DVD.

Therefore there is no need for me to produce a DVD in Premiere Elements 8 with the Slide Show with the 785 images. I will look for other software to produce a DVD with better image quality.

Thank you to all those who helped me.

CarlosWA

[Barb, since the sequence of the images is good for a smaller number of images I will not analyze the pattern for out of sequence images when I transferred the 785 images. There are many images that were severely out of sequence and It would take much time to find out a pattern.]

• 16. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 too  Premiere Elements 8
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

CarlosWA

Thank you for your follow up report.

If I understood correctly, you used 43 images (not resized) in your Photoshop Element 6 to Premiere Elements 8 slideshow. I have assumed that the 43 images were not resized. If I am correct and there is any interest in exploring this further, you should be able to get more images into the Photoshop Elements 6 slideshow and still avoid "Photoshop Elements 6-Send to Premiere Elements-Premiere Elements 8 issue" if you first resize your images (not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels).

Whatever your decision, thank you for trying our suggestions and following up on the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 17. Re: Export from Photoshop Elements 6 too  Premiere Elements 8
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do decide to resize your still images, this ARTICLE will tell you how to do it with automation.

Good luck,

Hunt

@ ATR,

Since my article was written for Photoshop, and there are some differences between it and PhotoshopElements, I would love for someone (you, maybe?) to do a PSE-specific addendum to that piece, so that users with PSE can get the same results. I'm most interested in the PSE version of Actions and Automate. I do not have, nor have I ever seen, PSE, so am lost as to exactly how one does these things in it. If you get a moment, could you reply to that article with the necessary steps and the proper nomenclature used in PSE? Please...?