7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 9:18 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier elements 4 adding text to disk menu

big cheeser

Hello,

I am trying to follow another post in this forum describing how to add additional text to the main menue like a subtitle and I can't seem to make it work. It was mentioned to creat a new folder and copy the original stuff to it that you plan on modifing, and I have done that and it shows up in premier elements in the template selection arrea, so that part is good so far.

My trouble is when I go to modify the PSD file and save it, then open premier the change is not there. So I know I'm missing something. Every time I open the modified file in Photoshop its there with the modification so I dont know if im not saving it correctly or if I'm mdifing the wrong file just not sure and would appreciate any assistance I can get thank you.

• 1. Re: Premier elements 4 adding text to disk menu
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum

My trouble is when I go to modify the PSD file and save it, then open premier the change is not there.

If you have placed this copied Menu Set into a new folder, within the Library folder structure and are seeing it inside of PrE, when you modify one of those two Menus, and Save from PS, you should see those changes.

Since you are not, I can only think of two things that might cause that.

1.) the Text Layer (your new text), is in the wrong place. I will attach an image of the PS Layers Palette, showing where that Text Layer should be, in an ideal situation. You can open your copied Menu in PS and check that yours is in a very similar location.

2.) if you did not rename your copied Menu Set, being very careful to maintain most of the required naming convention, you might want to go to your copies and add a new character. Here is an example of that: performanceStar_hd_mm.psd [original name], and changed to: performanceStar_mod_hd_mm.psd, where the "_mod" was added. Note: italics for emphasis. Do this for both Menus in your copied Menu Set. Now, the Menu Set should show up with that new name. Notice that I did NOT change any of the other characters in the name.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier elements 4 adding text to disk menu
            big cheeser Level 1

Thank you so much for the fast reply,

I tried the naming of the file to "_mod" and that still did not seem to fix it either.

Here is what I have done so far.

1 I found the dvd template folder and created a new folder in it called "Modified"

2 I then went to my new folder and created another folder in it called "Holliday"

3 I then went to the origingal template folder that i wanted to modify "hollyberries" and selected all and copied all the content in that folder.

4 I then went backinto the folder that i made called "DVD Templates\Modified\Holliday" and pasted it all in there so it was now in both folders.

5 I then had to change the atribue from archive so i could modify it.

6 I then opened the "hollyberies_hd_mm.psd" file in my new folder with PhotoShop Elements 6 and added a text box to it and saved it as 

"hollyberries_mod_hd_mm.psd"  per your instruction.

7 I then renamed the "hollyberries_hd_sm.psd" file to "hollyberries_mod_hd_sm.psd. (I did this part in windows in the folder not PhotoShop)

8 I then opened up Premier Elements andmy project I was working on and went to the "menu" tab and in the drop down list selected my "Modified" goup and the template the it was showing in the preview did not have the change on it. So I tried to apply it to my project anyway, hopping it would be there but it was not.

Also I have the text layer just above the "foreground" layer in the list, the other thing is when I originally tried to save the new file I left all the save options like they were with the "include in the organizer" checked and "Save in version set with the original" checked but that changed the name to add "edited-1" to the end of the name so I unchecked that and saved again. And the save "Layers" is checked and "as a copy" is not bit that ws default.

Do you have any more ideas or can you tell me what I'm still doing wrong?

I am also not able to see the atachment on your post so I am not sure if my layer is in the correct place or not.

Again thank you for the reply and help.

• 3. Re: Premier elements 4 adding text to disk menu
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Also I have the text layer just above the "foreground" layer in the list, the other thing is when I originally tried to save the new file I left all the save options like they were with the "include in the organizer" checked and "Save in version set with the original" checked but that changed the name to add "edited-1" to the end of the name so I unchecked that and saved again. And the save "Layers" is checked and "as a copy" is not bit that ws default.

I'll go look at Hollyberries. It also seems that you are editing in PSE, as there are more options than I will have in PS.

I see that my image is still in queue. It's too bad that most users lost the ability to use the "camera" icon to include an image, when the forum shut down on Monday night. That made this sort of troubleshooting so very easy. Hope that it gets fixed soon. Some people have gotten it back?

When I get to play with the Hollyberry Menus for a moment, I'll get back to you.

Good luck, and thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier elements 4 adding text to disk menu
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Also I have the text layer just above the "foreground" layer in the list,

This is where you want it to be.

Now, I have one question: you mentioned that you had duplicated the entire folder contents from the origianl Hollyberries to your "Modified" folder. I am wondering if having the other Menu PSD's is getting PrE messed up? You've got the .PNG's which direct you where to add elements, etc., and they get bypassed by PrE's Menu creation. However, you also have the HD, the Standard and the Widescreen Menus there too, plus the Motion Menu Audio.

As a test, and as you are only modifying one Menu Set (is it HD, Standard, or Widescreen?), try moving the others out of that folder. Also, make sure that whichever one you are modifying matches your Project. It could also be that PrE is whispering to itself, "OK, the user chose the Standard (with the S in the name), but his Project is Widescreen (with the W in the name), so I'll just give him the correct one... " I only use the exact Assets that I will be using, so the options for the others are not in my special folder.

I'm just thinking here.

I'll also try to reproduce your steps, though I'll do the modification in PS, and see what I get. Might not be until tomorrow, that I can report on that. I think I have a test Project handy, so all I need to do is modify the Main Menu and test. Also, I will be doing this in PrE 4, as that is what I have.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premier elements 4 adding text to disk menu
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, here are my steps. Along the way, I learned a little something about PrE. Most of my authoring is done in Encore, where there are no semi-automatic functions, regarding Menus.

In the DVD Templates folder, I created a sub-folder, "Hunt" with a sub-folder below it, "Christmas." Copied ALL Assets from the Hollyberries sub-folder.

In Photoshop, I modified the hollyberry_pal_s_mm.psd to add some red text along the left Title Safe Guide. did a Saved_As w/ Maximize Compatibility, and inserted "_mod" into the file name for later.

Went to that folder, and deleted the original (in this folder) hollyberry_pal_s_mm.psd, and then removed the "_mod" from my edited version. All worked fine.

I was mostly off-base on the other files. PrE sorts through them and first extracts the language, then the Project specs, choosing the correct .PSD. The file names in this "custom" folder do need to match, or you will not be seeing previews, or not seeing the newly created Menu Set. Since we did not alter our Scene Selection Menu, it was untouched, as were the Widescreen and HD versions of the Menu Set.

Now, if one wanted to have the renamed Menu Set, I’ll bet that if they made the same modification to all files in that folder, that would work fine too. I also think that one could delete the other language .PNG’s, but I have not tried that yet. When I have more time, I’ll see just exactly what needs to be in that folder, and also check into the limits of naming conventions.

In the meantime, this should get you editing - so long as your Text is not being hidden by some element in the Menu.

- More to come -

Sorry for the mis-step, but now I know more about the mechanics of the PrE semi-auto Menu creation.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier elements 4 adding text to disk menu
                    big cheeser Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you so much for the time you spent helping me, I'm sorry I did not reply sooner, was at church cleaning. I finally realized from your last post what the file names ment, had a eurika moment. I kept modifing the wrong template. ...Duh... Anyway with that lastpost I tried doing the _pal_s_mm file and shure-nuf thats the one that showed up in the menu. So many thanks, a 1000 japanese bows (ment respectively).

IT WORKED!!!

I think I"m gonna Modify all of them in that set and probably do it to all of the templates as I use them.

The other thing I noticed, and it's prodably to do with the way I did it I assume, is that when I had the modified template in PrE that I could not resize the new text box to be bigger that it was form the modification in PSE, it would allow me to shrink it but not enlarge it. Not a big deal but just thought it was interesting.

Again many thanks for the help.

Josh

• 7. Re: Premier elements 4 adding text to disk menu
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Thank you so much for the time you spent helping me, I'm sorry I did not reply sooner, was at church cleaning.

Don't worry. I had the first "grand ball" of the season, so was gone too. I did spend some time thinking on what I had observed, and why I had observed them. My table guests wondered why I seemed preoccupied on something besides them, and the gala. In general terms, my last test seems to be correct, but I have ideas on what it would take to simplify things, and get a cleaner "modified" folder, that would work completely in PrE. I will test those theories, and will report, and I believe that things can be done easier, and more efficiently. Now, your next line is good news. Even if I can improve on the process a bit, that next line is music to my ears!"

IT WORKED!!!

That is great, and thanks for reporting your success.

The other thing I noticed, and it's prodably to do with the way I did it I assume, is that when I had the modified template in PrE that I could not resize the new text box to be bigger that it was form the modification in PSE, it would allow me to shrink it but not enlarge it. Not a big deal but just thought it was interesting.

Thank you for reporting this. I will look into the issue, when I test. I will report what I encounter, and now have one potential limitation to address.

I appreciate your asking your question, as it has caused me to consider more of what PrE does, and what it needs to do it, regarding the Menu Templates. I knew a bit of the background, but work in other programs, where things are easier - at least for me, as there are no semi-automatic Menu processes.

Thanks

Hunt