2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 6:37 PM by Iroj

Exporting to Web with After Effects vs Flash

Iroj

I am creating an animated logo for a client who wishes to display it online. I am making the logo animation in After Effects, since I have no experience with Flash, and my client needs to know if there will be an increase in file size since it is coming from AE instead of Adobe Flash.

The logo animation is vector-based except for a few small embedded 2-3 second Quicktime clips. I intend to export the After Effects composition to .swf format, and add a preloader, and save the final as a Flash video. The whole animation will be approximately 5-7 seconds in length. I need the final to be a small enough file for web display, will this be a problem, coming originally from After Effects instead of Flash?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Exporting to Web with After Effects vs Flash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          will this be a problem, coming originally from After Effects instead of Flash?

It will be. Your workflow is crooked. There is simply no point in combining vector elements with bitmaps - in that case everything will always be rasterized and you are back to the problem of the conventional SWF export embedding "fat" JPEG sequences. Either you consider XFL export (but then you can't use all effects and features, either, as you would still need to define blending in Flash; it also doesn't produce vectors, only FLVs, images and keyframe data), render to an FLV, foregoing retaining vecors or you really do full Flash authoring. A workable compromise might be to use Flash Catalyst, which is currently in public Beta free on Adobe Labs. It would allow you to import individual components (images, FLVs, SWFs), which you could export from AE based on which specific comp works best with a given output format, and then do the final animation inside FC. It's much more accessible and intuitive than Flash itself, so even without a lot of experience, you should be able to produce something usable at reasonably small file sizes.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting to Web with After Effects vs Flash
            Iroj Level 1

Thanks for the help! The issue's been resolved.