7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2006 10:43 PM by Newsgroup_User

Spam via non-existent contact form ???

Level 7
      The last couple of days I'm receiving increasing amounts of spam emails
      through the contact form of one of my websites. The contact form is filled
      in with random texts about gambling and the sender's address is always fake.

I can see how a 'spam robot' would be able to fill in this form and send it
      to me.
      But the strange thing is that yesterday, as an experiment, I completely
      deleted the page with the contact form from the site and the same spam
      emails still keep coming ?!?

The emails are still exactly formatted the way my server-side process would
      originally format them... I don't understand how this is done.

Does anyone here have an idea how this is done and/or how to prevent this?
      Thanks in advance.

Regards, Marja

• 1. Re: Spam via non-existent contact form ???
          Chris12321
          First thing I would do is check the email header. Maby it's just a normal email not sent over your website but still formated that way. The header should say wether the email was sent via your web page or not.

--
          Chris
          • 2. Re: Spam via non-existent contact form ???
            Level 7
            > First thing I would do is check the email header. Maby it's just a normal
            > email
            > not sent over your website but still formated that way. The header should
            > say
            > wether the email was sent via your web page or not.

I've deleted them all, so I will have to wait for new ones to arrive before
            I can do that. :)

But how would they know exactly how the emails from my contact form are
            formatted?
            And how do I check the email header and what do I look for then?

Regards, Marja

• 3. Re: Spam via non-existent contact form ???
              Level 7
              On 11 Aug 2006 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Marja de Vroed wrote:

> The last couple of days I'm receiving increasing amounts of spam
              > emails through the contact form of one of my websites. The contact
              > form is filled in with random texts about gambling and the sender's
              > address is always fake.
              >
              > I can see how a 'spam robot' would be able to fill in this form and
              > send it to me.
              > But the strange thing is that yesterday, as an experiment, I
              > completely deleted the page with the contact form from the site and
              > the same spam emails still keep coming ?!?
              >
              > The emails are still exactly formatted the way my server-side
              > process would originally format them... I don't understand how this
              > is done.
              >
              > Does anyone here have an idea how this is done and/or how to prevent
              > this?

Have you also deleted the script which processes the form? They could
              have set up a form or script which takes advantage of your script. The
              other possibility is latency - there were still some mails waiting to
              make their way through the system when you took the form down.

--
              Joe Makowiec
              http://makowiec.net/
              Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php
              • 4. Re: Spam via non-existent contact form ???
                Level 7
                > Have you also deleted the script which processes the form? They could
                > have set up a form or script which takes advantage of your script.

The entire script is gone, and the emails are still coming.

> The other possibility is latency - there were still some mails waiting to
                > make their way through the system when you took the form down.

There were 3 more in my inbox again this morning. How long can latency be
                the cause of this?

Regards, Marja

• 5. Re: Spam via non-existent contact form ???
                  Level 7
                  On 12 Aug 2006 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Marja de Vroed wrote:

>> Have you also deleted the script which processes the form? They
                  >> could have set up a form or script which takes advantage of your
                  >> script.
                  >
                  > The entire script is gone, and the emails are still coming.
                  >
                  >> The other possibility is latency - there were still some mails
                  >> waiting to make their way through the system when you took the form
                  >> down.
                  >
                  > There were 3 more in my inbox again this morning. How long can
                  > latency be the cause of this?

Although it's unlikely, it /could/ be 24 hours.

Sadly, I guess you just have a spammer on your hands. Unless it looks
                  harmful, and it's worth tracking down, your best bet is to ignore it.

--
                  Joe Makowiec
                  http://makowiec.net/
                  Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php
                  • 6. Re: Spam via non-existent contact form ???
                    Level 7
                    > Sadly, I guess you just have a spammer on your hands. Unless it looks
                    > harmful, and it's worth tracking down, your best bet is to ignore it.

Thanks Joe, I guess that't the only option.

Still wondering how these spammers do this type of thing though.

Regards, Marja

• 7. Re: Spam via non-existent contact form ???
                      Level 7

"Marja de Vroed" <marja@clubwebware.nl.no.spam> wrote in message
                      news:ebh9r9$t8j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > The last couple of days I'm receiving increasing amounts of spam emails
                      > through the contact form of one of my websites. The contact form is filled
                      > in with random texts about gambling and the sender's address is always
                      fake.
                      >
                      > I can see how a 'spam robot' would be able to fill in this form and send
                      it
                      > to me.
                      > But the strange thing is that yesterday, as an experiment, I completely
                      > deleted the page with the contact form from the site and the same spam
                      > emails still keep coming ?!?
                      >
                      > The emails are still exactly formatted the way my server-side process
                      would
                      > originally format them... I don't understand how this is done.
                      >
                      > Does anyone here have an idea how this is done and/or how to prevent this?
                      > Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      > Regards, Marja

Even deleting the script and page won't help, your email address has bolted
                      and is now in the hands of the spammer community.

You can't close the gate on a corral and expect a horse that has already
                      bolted to be trapped in it.

>
                      >