13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 6:07 AM by Jim_Simon

CS4 playback very slow

joelgrange Level 1

I have rencently updated my system to a dual quad core computer with 6GB ram and a good NVIDA video card. I have also updated from Premiere 2.0 to CS 4. I am dealing with HD quality footage (most of them QT Animation codec as my source footage). On a lesser system with Premiere 2.0 I was getting better playback in the Premiere UI. Right now if I play the footage in the UI I get something like 3 fps - really jittery which makes it impossible to edit. It does not make sense to me that I would get lesser feedback with that current system and an updated version of Premiere?..Even with display quality set to draft. I must be missing something pretty obvious somewhere as no one else seem to have that problem. Anyone knows what I am doing wrong?

Joel

• 1. Re: CS4 playback very slow
          FXKnight

I'm having a problem which may be simular as well.  I have noticed weak playback when I upgraded from 2.0 to cs4 as well.  Only it's with sd footage.  My gear is fast enough to run full HD.  Footage played perfectly in 2.0.  Which is just as frustrating for me since isn't CS4 supposed to run faster on my 64 bit system?  If anyone has an answer for us than please let us know??

Hey Joelgrange,

Are you having any problem in CS4 reading rendered files that you had made before you closed and after you opened it back up again?  If not than I'm having problems with CS4 reading old rendered files and not creating new cache files every time I open it back up.  Read my post when you get the chance.

FX Knight

• 2. Re: CS4 playback very slow
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Usually slow playback is caused in order of importance by:

1. CPU (which one do you have?)

2. Memory

3. Disk setup

4. Processes and services running

5. Lack of tuning

10. Video card

The impact of these factors is heavily dependent on the source material and sequence settings. Red 2K or AVCHD require much more muscle than HDV of DV. I have no experience with QT Animation so I do not know how that impacts your setup, but if you can give more details, maybe we can find what is causing it.

• 3. Re: CS4 playback very slow
              joelgrange Level 1

Thanks. I still am not quite sure what is making it but here are some details about the sequence and settings:

1) CPU -  Intel Xeon  CPU 2.27GHz Dual Quad Core, 64 bit operating system running Windows 7

2) 6GB Ram

3) Disk set up - not sure what to tell you about this one except that all of the source footage is on an internal HD.

4) Processes and services running - none other than premiere pro services and bridge. Note - when playing the same footage in AE, Quicktime player or in AE Mocha the computer handles it very easily - it is just not working in Premiere Pro.

5) Lack of Tunning - ?

6) Video Card - NVIDIA QUadro FX 1800 with latest driver.

My Sequence setting is 720x480 res. All source footage that is above 720x480 is creating trouble in feedback, whatever the size and codec. As soon as it goes over 720x480 it plays reallllyyy slow. Something that was not happening in PPro 2.0.

I hope this gives more detail so someone out there can point out what I need to correct.

• 4. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Dual Quad Core - does that mean 2 CPU's, each a Intel Xeon Quad Core?  Which ones? Type number please, like E5420

Which motherboard? Which version of Win7?

2. OK.

3. How many physical disks, what size and speed, what interface, what space available on each?

4. That is not possible, you have at least 20+ running even on a highly tuned system, but possibly more than 60.

5. Indexing on or off, pagefile size and location, Windows managed or fixed, services turned off or stopped, etcetera?

6. OK.

Maybe have a look at the second link included here and report back with the results of DXDIAG and Process Explorer at least. Some suggestions

• 5. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                  joelgrange Level 1

Thanks for your interest and help Harm. I'll try to be more specific here.

1. Dual Quad Core - does that mean 2 CPU's, each a Intel Xeon Quad Core?  Which ones? Type number please, like E5420

2 CPUs, each Intel Xeon E5520 2.26 GHz

Which motherboard? Which version of Win7?

Motherboard is ACPI x64 based PC. Windows version: Windows 7 Professional.

2. OK.

3. How many physical disks, what size and speed, what interface, what space available on each?

2 physical disks. Local disk has 465GB total with 223 GB free. Second hard drilve has 1.5 TB with 835 GB free. The source footage is on the first (local) drive). Both of them are internal harddrive with SATA connection.

4. That is not possible, you have at least 20+ running even on a highly tuned system, but possibly more than 60.

you are right I have about 80 services running. I have not changed any settings on this since I installed my computer so all default services are on.

5. Indexing on or off, pagefile size and location, Windows managed or fixed, services turned off or stopped, etcetera?

Indexing is on, pagefile size is set to 9211MB for the local disk (custom size, not window managed) and the same for the second harddrive. I have not turned off any service.

6. OK.

Hope this gives you the picture. again,. thanks for your help.

Joel

• 6. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Joel,

RE: #4, this ARTICLE might give you tips on cleaning up some running programs or Processes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Joel,

At least for the folders, and or HDD's, that are NOT pure .DOC, .TXT, etc., I'd suggest that you turn Windows Indexing OFF. It really cannot get the info that it seeks from your AV, or working files, and WILL slow things down, or even stop them, when it "locks" one of the big files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                        joelgrange Level 1

Thanks guys this is helpful. I read the article. I turned off my indexing and all useless processes, however, it did not make a big difference at all.. I am wondering is this has something to do with a quicktime set up as the problem seems to be happening with quicktime files that are over 720x480 only. It does not seem to be a problem with my system not being able to handle other footage. Any other advices would be great.

• 9. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Regarding Apple QT, many Adobe users (a lot of programs) have had issues with some of the recent versions, 7.6.2 & 7.6.2. Am not sure what they are up to. Judging from the reports on the fora, the "last known good" version was 7.5.5. Prior to that, it was 7.3.5. It seems that most of the 7.4.x series also shut down many Adobe programs. FWIW - I have 7.5.5 Pro and have zero issues with a ton of Adobe programs.

Might be worth looking into.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Any other advices would be great.

Don't use Quicktime.

• 11. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Many, you included, get by with that advice. Others do need to use it, from time to time. Myself included.

Still, with the issues, I cannot argue with you. Just glad that 7.5.5 works for me.

Hunt

PS - that is you, isn't it Jim?

• 12. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Joel,

Have a look here: http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

There are some services that are notorious for the burden on the system, even on a very powerful system like yours. However, instead of Disabling a number of services, just stop them and turn them to manual. You can then check whether they are needed or not, if needed they will start.

Antivirus and disk defraggers can cause a relatively large overhead too. During editing you can turn them off.

With the pagefile on C and the source material on C, the question remains where is the media cache, where is the project file and where are your scratch files? The more you spread disk activities among different physical disks, the better for performance. On a system as powerful as yours it may be that your disk setup is the limiting factor, so maybe it would be a good idea to get another disk. You can check your performance by running the PPBM benchmark http://ppbm4.com and sending the results to Bill. That will show how your system performs in comparison to others.

• 13. Re: CS4 playback very slow
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  Others do need to use it

Granted, those who HAVE to use it won't be able to follow my advice. But it was intended more for those who don't have to, but still do anyway.  I offered it just in case the poster was in the latter category.