• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgraded Flash and now I can't view videos

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2009 Nov 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem since upgrading flash player. Now sites I used to be able to view are asking me to upgrade my flash player. Yet it's already installed.

I've gone through the adobe troubleshooting page and uninstalled then reinstalled (several times). I've even tried installing an old version of flash - V9. Each time the adobe test page always shows that flash player is installed and I can see movies on the adobe site. I can also see google videos. But youtube won't show and neither will a tv channel I used to watch. They keep asking me to upgrade.

Stumped. Any ideas? I want to watch TV!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2009 Nov 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some further information:

I'm using both Firefox and IE. I tried uninstalling IE8 and now have IE6.

I've run the regedit program as suggested in troubleshooting page.

I just noticed that in both browsers the add-ons manager does not list Adobe Flash. Yet it is installed.

Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2009 Nov 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ss, Sometimes there is a simple answer. I need some information and am sending you an attachment and if you will post

back with it, I'll be glad to help you.

Thanks

P.S. If you don't see the attachment with this post, please post back, we've been having trouble sending them.

Message was edited by: eidnolb  Add'l comment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou! Here's the information you requested.

1. Operating System

MS windows XP Home Ed

2. Browser

Firefox 3.5.5 and IE 6.0.2900.2180
I was also running IE8 but uninstalled it.

3. Go to www.adobe.com/software/flash/about

Adobe will tell you if Flash Player is installed and what

version

It says: You have version 10,0,32,18 installed.
I can see the dynamic F logo and the video advert at

the top.

4. Go to Add/Remove and list everything that says Adobe

AIR
Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Reader 9.2
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5

5. Go to Tools, Manage add ons and list everything there

and if it is Disabled or Enabled

In Firefox, all enabled:
Acrobat 9.1.0.163
GetPlusPlus for Adobe 1.6.2.49
Shockwave Flash 10.0.32.18
Shockwave for Director 11.5.2.602

There's also:
DivX Player Netscape Plugin 6.1.0.0
DivX Web Player 6.1.0.0

In IE, all enabled:

"Add-ons currently loaded":
PDF link helper

"Add-ons that have been used by IE":
PDF link helper
Shockwave Flash Object

6. What kind of Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware programs are you

using?

Norton.

7. Are you using any Toolbars such as Google, Yahoo, AOL,

etc?

None

8. Do you have the latest Java installed and does it show

in Manage add ons?  What version?

Firefox:
Java2 Platform Standard Ed 5.0.20.9

IE:
"Add-ons currently loaded", enabled:
Sun Java Console

"Add-ons that have been used by IE", all enabled
Sun Java Console
Java plug-in 1.5.0_02 (listed twice)

With thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ss, thank you for the complete information. Please look in IE manage add ons and tell me if the listing Shockwave

Flash Object includes "ActiveX Control, Flash10c.ocx" and what version? If this is not included is there any "ActiveX

Control included? If so please list what is says and what version.

Also, just curious, are you having the same problem with FF?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the same line as Shockwave Flash Object, it reads

Type: ActiveX Control, File Flash10c.ocx

And yes exact same problem with FF and Chrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  ss, thanks for the info on SWO. Could you confirm for me the version#? I need to be sure that it says Flash10c.ocx

Version 10.0.32.18, which is the Version of Flash Player that Adobe confirmed for you.

Just a word concerning Browsers. Flash Player and the corresponding ActiveX Control(Flash(vs 9, 10 etc .ocx)

work thru the browsers. Any add on has an affect on the browser, for good or for bad. Any anti-virus/anti-spyware

protection that runs in real time and may also have their own add on has an affect. In addition some add ons conflict

with not only the browser, but with each other.

If the SWO shows Flash10c.ocx Version 10.0.32.18 per above, then as far as IE is concerned my attention would turn

to Norton. The only other add on you have in IE is the Adobe Reader PDF Link Helper which I doubt would conflict. I have it but I have it disabled and any PDF files I access work fine.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Firefox, Add-ons lists SWF version as 10.0.32.18

In IE, Tools, Manage Add-ons, there is no version number listed next to SWF object. It only says Flash10c.ocx.

I found the ocx file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash. In 'properties', it shows version 10.0.32.18. Does this help?

I tried disabling the pdf helper - no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ss, ok that tells me that whatever site that you used to Install the FP10, the Flash10c.ocx was not installed. This is the ActiveX Control that Flash Player uses. This is the problem. Now the cause of that could be Norton. Norton would not in all probability prevent a down load of FP, but it could restrict an install of this ActiveX Control as part of their protection.

I need to run some errands and will let you know what to do next when I'm back online.

In the meantime you might want to take a look at Norton to see if you can pause or disable it, so if we need to uninstall and re-install it won't prevent it. Don't disable now, just see if it's possible.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there's an option that says 'disable NOrton internet security'. I have to go to bed now as it's 1am but I'll get to your next post first thing tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm back. Do you know which Adobe link you used to install FP vs10.0.32.18? There are more than one. In addition there is a macromedia site that is a Stand alone. The only solution I can think of is to try to install again. Just thought  of

something since you are using IE6, go into manage add ons, hi light Shockwave Flash Object, and you should see the small rectangle at your lower bottom right that is usually grayed out, now say "Update ActiveX", do that. IE7 and 8 do not allow that, but 6 does.

Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ss, I noted your info about Norton's, good to know if we need it. If trying to Update the ActiveX for SWF in add ons

doesn't help, then we will need to look at a possible Uninstall/Install. I read some technical papers this evening and

it helped clear up a few points. In my macromed file (flash folder) it contains FlashUtil10c.ocx, version 10.0.32.18.

Also Flash10c.ocx , version 10.0.32.18. You might want to take a look if those are in yours, since you now have IE6.

The time differences are difficult to deal with, I have no way of knowing where on the World clock anyone is:-) I wish each thread had a World clock on it. Right now for me is about the same time that you signed off.

I am in the United States and Thanksgiving is Thursday 11/26 so I won't be online except early and then possibly late, will do my best as I know how frustrating it can be when you have problems. I've been there. LOL I'm sure everyone has.

Talk to you later.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2009 Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. No rush on this! It's only telly. Enjoy your Thanksgiving! I'm in UK, 8.45 am here as I post this. Waiting in for a delivery this morning so I'll have a go at what you suggest after my gallon of tea.   Very grateful you're taking the time to help me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some info for you.

1. What I did to upgrade
---------------------------------------
I upgraded several times using several files, all from the Adobe site. I tried going through the online process. Then I  also saved the uninstall and the install exe's to my desktop and ran them while offline. I tried re-installing v10 several times. I also tried installing V9.

These are the files I used, all taken from the Adobe site (I think):
uninstall_flash_player.exe
install_flash_player_9_ax.exe
install_flash_player_ax-10.exe
Install_Flash_Player_10_ActiveX.zip
Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe

2. Tried to update ActiveX in IE6 add-ons
---------------------------------------------------------
For SWF object, 'update ActiveX' is greyed.
For SW ActiveX Control, I clicked on the 'update'. It appeared to be connecting to the internet then displayed 'no update available at this time'.

3. Versions showing in Flash folder
----------------------------------------------------
In C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash, FlashUtil10c.ocx & Flash10c.ocx both show version 10.0.32.18 when I check 'properties'.

With thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SS, thanks for the info on the Un/Install. It appears you've tried everything and you have in the Flash folder what you should have.

1. In IE manage add ons, when you tried to update the SWF Active X Control and no update was available, you stated that for the SWF Object, it was greyed out. Do you have two entries? Just to give you an idea, mine is listed as Shockwave Flash Object, Adobe Systems, Inc, Enabled , ActiveX Control, Flash10.c.ocx. This is all on one line and that is the only

listing of SWF.

2. Take a look at the original list of info you sent. #5 Is Acrobat, GetPlusPlus, Shockwave Flash and Shockwave for Director

listed as being in the IE add ons? And the DivX Player Netscape Plug in & DivX Web Player? I am not clear where these are located, since after that, "In IE, all enabled.....begins.

3. Go to Tools>Internet Options>click on Content Tab>Publishers(mid area)>Untrusted Publishers. Any Adobe at all listed there?

4. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Settings(mid area)>View Objects. Look for Shockwave Flash. Under the heading Version what is listed?

Ok, that is all for now. Happy Thanksgiving! Time for me to go to the kitchen and start cooking:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and some answers to you questions.

1. In IE add-ons I have 2 entries.
The first is SW ActivX Control - Adobe Systems Inc - Enabled - ActiveX Control - SwDir.dll.
The one under that is SW Flash object - Adobe Systems Inc - Enabled - ActiveX Control - Flash10c.ocx.

2. I think this is clearer.

In IE, all enabled:
-------------------------
"Add-ons currently loaded":
PDF link helper

"Add-ons that have been used by IE":
PDF link helper
Shockwave ActiveX Control (I missed that out earlier)
Shockwave Flash Object

In Firefox, all enabled:
--------------------------------
Acrobat 9.1.0.163
GetPlusPlus for Adobe 1.6.2.49
Shockwave Flash 10.0.32.18
Shockwave for Director 11.5.2.602
DivX Player Netscape Plugin 6.1.0.0
DivX Web Player 6.1.0.0

3. Go to Tools>Internet Options>click on Content Tab>Publishers(mid area)>Untrusted Publishers. Any Adobe at all listed there?

No.

4. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Settings(mid area)>View Objects. Look for Shockwave Flash. Under the heading Version what is listed?

SWF ActivX Control - 11.5.2.602

There's another, listed as {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7}, status is 'damaged', last accessed  26 Nov 09, version 1.6.2.49. Mean anything?

There are 2 listings for Java 1.5.0, details identical.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info about the damaged object. I clicked on properties.

General:
Type: ActivX Control
CodeBase: http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab

Dependency:
C:\\windows\downloade...\gp.ocx* - damaged
C:\\windows\downloaded...\gp.inf* - damaged
C:\\windows\system32\atl.dll*

Version:

Just in case you ask ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SS, Thanks for the add'l info. And yes, I was going to ask about the "getPlusPlus". You have some programs/ActiveX

that need removed and you don't really need.

I am especially concerned about the GetPlusPlus that you have as listed in FF, but the activeX vs.1.6.2.49 is in IE in add ons. ? This is a third party Installer for Adobe Reader that Adobe uses.

Also, the "Shockwave for Director" and the Shockwave Player 11.5.2.602. Unless you are creating and publishing interactive games, demos, prototypes for the Web, I don't see that you need these. Here is the link if you want to read about them. SP also has the SWF Active X in IE as you noted. http://www.adobe.com/products/director In addition,

you listed "Shockwave for Director" as being in FF, but the Shockwave Player as being in IE. From my understanding these 2 programs work together. And then you see the SWF ActiveX Control 11.5.2.602 listed in IE.

This is most confusing. How a program can be installed in one browser but the ActiveX that it uses is installed in another browser.

1. For now, Remove GetPlusPlus 1.6.2.49 from Programs

2. In IE Tool>Internet Options>Settings>View Object, find the damaged SWF 1.6.2.49, right click on it and Remove it.

3. Delete/Remove the entries you listed under "Dependency" in your last post. They are useless:-)

As you can see, you have more problems than not being able to view videos:-) (I'm not surprised LOL)

Oh, and Reboot when you are finished.

On Java, you need to uninstall the old ones and then install the latest. But we'll do that after we try to figure out and make sure you have your programs in the right browser along with the add ons in their proper place.

Thanks SS

Message was edited by: eidnolb  To add add'l comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm happy to remove SW director. Do you mean just to disable it in addons? Or do I remove the program from control panel (Adobe SWP 11.5)? I have disabled it for now in IE and FF.

1. For now, Remove GetPlusPlus 1.6.2.49 from Programs

??? I can't find this in control panel, remove progs. CAn't find in c:\programs. Do you mean from addons in FF? I have disabled it for now.

2. In IE Tool>Internet Options>Settings>View Object, find the damaged SWF 1.6.2.49, right click on it and Remove it.

Done.

3. Delete/Remove the entries you listed under "Dependency" in your last post. They are useless:-)

Can't find them now. Did they auto delete when I deleted the damaged file?

OK all done and going to reboot now.

Gosh, it's almost exciting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SS,

On the SW Director and Shockwave Player: Unless you need them by intending to use them, I would remove them.

Remove Shockwave Player from Add/Remove; Remove the SWF ActiveX Control 11.5.2.602 from IE add ons in the

same way you removed the damaged SWF 1.6.2.49. You also need to remove it from FF which I hope you know how

to do, since I don't.

Now on the SW Director, Remove the ActiveX in IE for that(same way as above) and in FF. It is not needed since it

pertains to Shockwave Player, which you are removing.

The #1 regarding GetPlusPlus in your last post. Ok, my confusion, I went back and re-read your info on that. Since this

is an ActiveX add on and not needed, remove it from FF.

#3. Probably so on the SWF 1.6.2.49 damaged re: dependency, that is a Done also.

Always Reboot after Removing any program.

Exciting? I could think of several different words, hope you had your gallon of Tea:-)

P.S. The other ActiveX in IE(not the Flash10c.ocx) SwDir.dll, can you tell me what the Name is in IE manage add ons?

Message was edited by: eidnolb to add a P.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2009 Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Done & rebooted:
- Remove Shockwave Player
- SW Director, Remove the ActiveX in IE
- GetPlusPlus -remove it from FF.

Your question: SwDir.dll, can you tell me what the Name is in IE manage add ons?

it's gone now. In IE addons, the name was listed as 'Shockwave ActiveX Control'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SS, Well, you have done a good job!! I looked at that question on the SwDir.dll and in one of your earlier posts saw what it was, but I had already sent my last post. It was related to the Shockwave Player and was removed when you

removed SP and that is another -Done.

Now, if I have been keeping up, in Add/Remove, you should have AIR, Flash Player 10 ActiveX, Flash Player 10 Plugin,

and Adobe Reader 9.2.

In FF add ons, Acrobat 9.1.0.163, DivX Player Netscape Plugin 6.1.0.0, DivX Web Player 6.1.0.0., Java 2 Platform Standard

Ed 5.0.20.9. (All Enabled)

In IE add ons, PDF link Helper(Disabled), Shockwave Flash Object(Flash10c.ocx) (Enabled); Sun Java Console, Java

plug-in 1.5.0_02 (listed twice) (All Enabled)

Go ahead and review and if there is anything I have left out, please let me know. On IE, you might want to cross check the

Tools>Manage Add ons with View Objects(where the damaged add on was) just to make sure they are the same. If any

difference let me know that also.

We have removed programs that you don't need or use and many ActiveX Controls along with them. I think now you should run a full scan of Norton.

What I would like to know is what version of Norton you have and do you know if it runs in realtime, i.e. always on, running in the background or is it an on demand.

In the meantime I want to check on the latest Java for you.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

>> in Add/Remove, you should have AIR, Flash Player 10 ActiveX, Flash Player 10 Plugin, and Adobe Reader 9.2.

I removed Adobe reader and now use Foxit reader.
Yes to all the others.

>>In FF add ons,
- Acrobat 9.1.0.163 - not anymore, removed the program.
- DivX Player Netscape Plugin 6.1.0.0 - yes
- DivX Web Player 6.1.0.0. - actually it's 1.5.0.52, my mistake.
- Java 2 Platform Standard Ed 5.0.20.9.  - yes
- (All Enabled) - yes

I also now have Foxit reader plugin for Mozilla 1.0.1.1117

>>In IE add ons,
- PDF link Helper(Disabled), - no, no longer there.
- Shockwave Flash Object(Flash10c.ocx) (Enabled); - yes
- Sun Java Console, - yes, enabled
- Java plug-in 1.5.0_02 (listed twice) (All Enabled) - yes

>> IE - view objects

This now shows only the 2 listings for Java Runtime Env 1.5.0, details identical - v 5.0.20.9

>>>>>>>I think now you should run a full scan of Norton. What I would like to know is what version of Norton you have and do you know if it runs in realtime, i.e. always on, running in the background or is it an on demand.

Norton internet security v 8.5.0.113
Norton antivirus v 11.5.9.1

I think it runs in real time. Autoprotect is on, which it says "works in the background without interrupting your work". I'll do a scan now.

Are we nearly there yet? Oh the anticipation ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Solly, you're getting the hang of this clean up!! Good job! Are we almost there? Ha-Ha, I certainly hope so.

Now on Java. I understand they use an Uninstaller and this removes only the previous version. I don't know how the

process works when you begin and lick on the blue "free Java download"(don't have a test pc) I just wanted you to be

aware in case you see a window saying Uninstall or something like that. It may not indicate anything.

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

NOTE: WATCH FOR Any unwanted "extras" -toolbars etc.

And as Always, REBOOT  after installing. Then check your add/remove and note what is there and also your add ons.

I have the latest info on Foxit, which is a very popular program. Will advise. Let's get Java done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>Now on Java. I understand they use an Uninstaller

and this removes only the previous version.

It appears to be optional. From site: "You can also

keep older versions of Java installed, in case you

have an applet/application that still depends upon a

previous version."

I kept the old version.

>>NOTE: WATCH FOR Any unwanted "extras" -toolbars etc.

said no to toolbar but opted for automatic updates.

Hope that's ok.

Rebooted.

add/remove progs:
---------------------------
- AIR
- FP 10 ActiveX
- FP 10 Plugin
- J2SE Runtime Env 5.0 Update 2
- Java 6 update 17

IE add ons:
-------------------

Java, all enabled
- isInstalled Class, ActiveX Ctrl, wsdetect.dll
- Java plug-in 1.5.0_02, ActiveX Ctrl, jp2iexp.dll
- Java plug-in 1.6.0_17, ActiveX Ctrl, jp2iexp.dll
- Java plug-in 1.6.0_17, ActiveX Ctrl, jp2iexp.dll
- Java plug-in 1.6.0_17, ActiveX Ctrl, npjp160_17.dll
- Java plug-in 2 SSV Helper, Browser helper object,

JP2ssv.dll

- JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class, Browser helper object,

jqs_plugin.dll

Adobe, enabled
- SWF object, ActiveX Ctrol, Flash10c.ocx

FF add ons:
------------------

- Foxit REader plugin for Mozilla 1.0.1.1117
- Java deployment toolkit 6.0.170.4
- Java platform Se6U17 6.0.170.4
- SWF 10.0.32.18

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines