1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 2:47 AM by Mylenium

Why does Illustrator CS4 merge layers when saving document?

rpthomas

Woking in Illustrator CS4, I have a document with four layers.  The first three contain (1) Background (2) Background effects (3) Pictures and the (4) contains text.  When I save the document and then re-open it, all the layers have been merged into the latest, 4th layer.  All the previous layers are empty.  It's as if everything has been grouped into the text layer, no element can be independently selected, and it is therefore impossible to do further work on the document.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?  Am I not saving this correctly?

And even more important, is there any way of restoring the different layers once this has happened?

• 1. Re: Why does Illustrator CS4 merge layers when saving document?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?  Am I not saving this correctly?

Well, to what format are you saving? The native AI format should always retain layers. Other formats such as EPS or older PDF Levels may indeed enforce flattening. also make sure you are not confusing layers with groups/ objects. There's a crucial difference between the two.

And even more important, is there any way of restoring the different layers once this has happened?

Well, you can manually add new layers and drag&drop your objects and groups into the new layers in the layers panel, but if you save it again to the wrong file format, that is wasted effort, so for the life of it make sure you get that figured out first.

Mylenium