4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 9:49 AM by B.M.L

Sort by date?

B.M.L

I have scanned a number of documents which are saved in Adobe 7.0 but as I saved them with the title first and date afterwards I can not work out how to sort them by date.  Is this action possible?

• 1. Re: Sort by date?
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe Reader can't scan documents.

• 2. Re: Sort by date?
            B.M.L Level 1

Obviously my question exposed my lack of knowledge so please let me start again.  My knowledge of computers is not extensive although I have a basic knowledge of scanner use.

I have several hundred papers in varied subject matter in hard copy that I have accumulated over the years and I want to use the subject matter of those papers in something I am writing.

I don’t want to have to make a physical search every time that I’m looking for particular subject matters.

I therefore decided that it might be a good idea to save these papers in digital format and use the “search” or “find” facility for whatever I am looking for. 

I have a Canon Pixma 6400F scanner and it came with OmniPageSE software.

I know that if I scan the papers using OCR there will be far too many errors so I saved the papers that I have scanned in PDF format and it saved the papers in Adobe Reader 7.0 because that is what I have on my computer.

I can sort out saving each paper that I scan in prime subject matter by creating different folders.  The folders hold the papers in alphabetical order.  However, I would like to be able to sort the folders in date order but I don’t know how to do that of if that is even possible.

So two questions.

1.  Is what I want possible using Adobe Reader 7.0?

2.  If not, is there any software that will allow me to do what I want to?

• 3. Re: Sort by date?
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

B.M.L wrote:

1.  Is what I want possible using Adobe Reader 7.0?

No. Not possible. Adobe Reader is just that, a Reader with very few bells and whistles.

B.M.L wrote:

2.  If not, is there any software that will allow me to do what I want to?

You  could probably use Acrobat to add Meta Data to the file properties that will assist in your search. You can download a 30 day trial and give it a shot. Simply open the PDF in Acrobat and go to File>Properties and fill in the description areas.

• 4. Re: Sort by date?
                B.M.L Level 1

Thanks, I will give it a try.