14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 12:01 PM by Barb__O

Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.

JamesAB Level 1

Can PE7 "see" the Keyword Tag structure in PSE or do both programs just use a similar format?

Thanks

Jim

• 1. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

They should read the same metada.

• 2. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
            JamesAB Level 1

In Photoshop elements I have the "People" tag and under that the "Family" tag. These are both shown in Premiere Elements. However, under the Family tag in PSE I have many nested tags both sub-category and keyword. These are not being shown in PE. Perhaps I have misunderstood how to use these?

Thanks

Jim

• 3. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
              Barb__O Level 4

Cedrelix,

My inconsistencies were for thumbnails between PE 7 (good)  and PSE 7 (bad) and yours are for Tag structure PSE (good) and (PE) bad.  However, I think that my experience does demonstrate that there are differences. What works in one does not necessarily work in the other.

My initial suspicion is that your tagging structure is OK, but PE7 is NOT displaying it correctly.

Normally, I use the Organizer workspace of PSE 7 when using Tags and I ignore the small panel for Organize in PE as much as I can. That may be the pragmatic approach for you also.

So you have the People category and then the Family sub-category

and then under the Family sub-category you have another sub-category

and then you have the Tags

Is this correct ?  Once I understand your structure I will try to duplicate what you experienced.

Barb

• 4. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                JamesAB Level 1

That is correct. In effect PE7 is only seeing the first 2 layers of the tagging structure I have in PSE, which is up to 5 layers deep.

Jim

• 5. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                  Barb__O Level 4

Cedrelix wrote:

That is correct. In effect PE7 is only seeing the first 2 layers of the tagging structure I have in PSE, which is up to 5 layers deep.

Jim

Yes, I experienced the same limitation.  Sorry I don't have any workaround for Premiere Elements.

I use the PSE 7 Organizer for my tagging work and generally ignore the tag related functions of Premiere Elements.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For what it's worth, this has been completely remedied in version 8. Both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements now share access to the same

Organizer, which resides as its own separate program.

• 7. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                      JamesAB Level 1

I have probably misunderstood how it works but, since in the organiser in PE7 there is the facility to "select album", I created an album in PSE 7 containing all the photos that I wanted to import into PE 7. Unfortunately PE7 does not "see" this album either? Most odd!

Jim

• 8. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

That sounds like very good news. Things are now more like with Adobe Bridge and the programs that support it directly. One can call Bridge from within each program (and then with the Enter key, the file(s) will be added into that program), or can start it alone. Then, the file type preferences in Bridge will determine which program Enter Exports to. This can get a bit confusing, as one might wish to get a .PSD into PrPro, InDesign, AE, PS or even Acrobat Pro. Still, if opened from within the program, it'll honor that program, regardless of what affinities are set to.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                          JamesAB Level 1

I have just seen Steve's comment that this problem has been resolved in PE8. Unfortunately the upgrade cost of PE8 in the UK

is prohibitively high (as far as I can see)  for it's benefits over PE7.

Jim

• 10. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                            Barb__O Level 4

Cedrelix wrote:

I have probably misunderstood how it works but, since in the organiser in PE7 there is the facility to "select album", I created an album in PSE 7 containing all the photos that I wanted to import into PE 7. Unfortunately PE7 does not "see" this album either? Most odd!

Jim

I suspect that the Album as used by PE 7 is really a Project Album because PE seems to be putting everything that you bring in to the current project in to an Album.

• 11. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                              JamesAB Level 1

Yes, I think you are right. I had assumed that PE was looking at the tagging structure in PSE7. It seems no,t they are just similar in form.

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

Jim

• 12. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                                Barb__O Level 4

Jim,

There is another feature that MIGHT help you.

In Photoshop Elements 7, you have made an Album. You can send all the photos in that PSE Album to Premiere Elements 7 (the currently open project within Premiere Elements) and I believe it will also maintain the sequence of photos from the Photoshop Elements Album.

Basically you would display the PSE Album in PSE 7, then select all those photos and choose "Send to Premiere Elements".

It has been awhile since I experimented with this function, but if you are interested I can do some investigation, verify the specifics and get back to you.

• 13. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                                  JamesAB Level 1

Hello again.

I spotted this one and I did indeed create an album containing the photos that I wanted to include in the video. Actually I just dragged them int PE7 edit window but it did the trick. Another way would be to just tag the photos you want and select that tag view, select all and send to PE.

There is always more than one way of doing things if you look hard enough!

Regards

Jim

• 14. Re: Viewing the Keyword Tag structure of PSE in PE.
                                    Barb__O Level 4

Steve Grisetti wrote:

For what it's worth, this has been completely remedied in version 8. Both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements now share access to the same

Organizer, which resides as its own separate program.

Steve,

Tagging may have been remedied in the version 8 separate Organizer.  However there is a trend of thumbnail problems in the v8 separate Organizer that makes me wonder if it is not just trading one set of problems in v7 for another set of problems in v8.  For example, there seems to be a problem of  images missing from the thumbnails for AVCHD video in the v8 separate Organizer.

I think that the first post at http://forums.adobe.com/message/2405133#2405133 has an attachment that graphically shows how useless the many thumbnails with no images are.

Therefore, until there are answers available from Adobe (or from someone) as to how to fix the problem of the no-image Thumbnails in the separate Organizer, I do not agree that the problems of using the Organizer with Premiere Elements has been resolved in v8.