9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 2:52 PM by jengerer

Should large video of stills be broken down into smaller videos

jengerer Level 1

I'm in the process of making a video consisting of several stills (should last about 1/2 hour) for a high school dance team.  Each segment (football, basketball, competition, etc.) will have 30-40 pictures in it.  I have resized all of the pictures and changed the PAR in Photoshop.  Should I make each segment a separate AVI file and bring each of those into a new project at the end?  If so, should I do just one music track in the final project or have each individual segment have it's own music track?  I plan to have scene markers for the DVD and will add some videos at the very end.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Should large video of stills be broken down into smaller videos
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Start reading on nested sequences.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should large video of stills be broken down into smaller videos
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Start reading on nested sequences.

• 3. Re: Should large video of stills be broken down into smaller videos
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There are a couple of ways to do this. One would be to do a Sequence for each segment, treating these like "Chapters." This is how I most often edit similar. As these Sequences often differ in mood, and theme, I do the music for each, independently.

Now, if one wanted to treat these in one Timeline, Nesting should be fine. One could then do a common soundtrack for the entirity, and could also add certain Effects on a "global" basis, over the entire Nested Timeline. This would allow one to "span" several "Chapters" with one soundtrack.

Normally, I keep these separate, and even do a a separate Timeline for each in Encore. This allows me a tiny bit more latitude, when doing my navigation. Because of this method, I never use Chapter Playlist, have no Chapter Markers, but use Playlists (similar, but different) in all cases.

In the end, the choice of how you gang these individual Sequences is yours, and should be based on what you want from the final Project, and how you will be establishing your navigation in Encore.

One caveat: there have been many problems, where one has ganged separate Assets on a common, single Timeline in Encore. Some get their Project to work fine that way, but others have issues. I like to keep my Timelines clean, with one Video Asset and one Audio Asset. To date, zero problems.

Good luck, and I'm glad that you first, resized your stills to the Project and that you did not go with Encore's rudimentary SlideShow feature. I never use that, unless absolutely pressed. My SlideShows are all done in PrPRo.

Please let us know which way you choose, and how well it works for you. Workflows can be highly personal. What works perfectly for me, might not be your cup-o-tea.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Should large video of stills be broken down into smaller videos
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Glad that I mentioned "Nested Sequences!!!"

Hunt

• 7. Re: Should large video of stills be broken down into smaller videos
                  jengerer Level 1

Thought I'd let you know what I wound up doing with my project.  I decided to do 11 separate sequences, each with its own audio and export them as mov files in a folder.  I then imported them into Encore as separate time lines.  I found some great video tutorials that helped me make my own main and sub menu in Photoshop and then import them in Encore.  The tutorials also walked me through setting up the individual scene buttons in the sub menu and make a playlist for the Play All button on my main menu.  I previewed, checked the flowchart and had Encore check for errors.  Everything looked good and the navigation seem to work the way I wanted it to so I burned a rewritable disc to preview on my TV.  Overall, I'm pleased with the outcome, especially since it was a fairly large project (30+ minutes of stills)  and the first time I have used Premiere Pro and Encore.  The only thing I'm not crazy about is the pause between timelines during playback.  Maybe I'm too picky, but I expected it to look like it was continuing to go from one picture to the next without a break.  After the poms banquet next week, I will add the girl's dance videos to the end of the slideshow before it is reproduced for everyone.  Hope that goes as well as the first part!  Thanks for  everyone's suggestions.

• 8. Re: Should large video of stills be broken down into smaller videos
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There will always be a slight pause between Timelines as the laser moves to that new Timeline. For almost every one of my Sequences, I start with a tiny bit of Black Video, and Dip-to-Black (actually I am fading from black), and then end each Sequence with a Dip-to-Black. The user might be able to tell that the duration of the black is very slightly different, when Timelines change, but that is slight and not likely to be noticed.

Another good reason for that tiny bit of Black Video is to allow the player (especially high-end ones) time to lock onto the Audio. For me, this is especially important, because I use AC3 DD 5.1 SS for most of my Audio. It is less important, from an audio standpoint, with PCM/WAV Audio, but can be visually important.

I am assuming that you are on the Mac (just do not recall the platform, as it was likely mentioned up-thread), and that's why you chose the MOV format. Is that correct?

Good move using a rewritable disc for testing - no more "coasters!"

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Should large video of stills be broken down into smaller videos
                      jengerer Level 1

Yes, I am on a MAC. When I brought up the export as movie box, there wasn't a lot of file options.  Should I have used something else?  I used cross dissolve at both the beginning and end of my sequences.  Maybe I'll try the black and see if I like that better.  Thanks for the tip!