Check out the Grid effect; you can use it to achieve the effect pretty easily. Assuming a 720x480 DV composition, start with parameters such as these, and tweak to taste:
- Anchor: -20, 240
- Size from: Width and Height Sliders
- Width: 740
- Height: vary according to how dense you'd like the scanlines to appear
- Border: vary according to how thick you'd like the scanlines to appear
- Feather: vary Height to soften the lines, and eliminate some of the jitter that might be created on interlaced video displays
- Color: set to taste
- Opacity: set to taste
- Blending Mode: set to taste, but Overlay is a good one to start with
Note that you can animate the Anchor's Y-value to create movement/flicker if that's the look you're seeking.
Here's a quick sample of the look you can create :
Great tip, well done and thanks.
Great post. I've been wondering how to accomplish this ever since I switched from FCP 6 months ago. Sometimes it's a real time saver not to have to link to AE. Thanks Colin.