11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 4:16 PM by the_wine_snob

PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"

THE ELSES

Hi

I need some help please.  I have just downloaded the Trial Version of Premier Elements 8 (with the full intention of purchasing).  It installed without any apparent problems.  I also installed the latest version of Quick Time.

The program opens, but whenever I select "New Project" the program crashes.  I have trawled Adobe for some Technical support, but I cannot find anything.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L300-144.

OS - Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

2 GB Ram

82 GB of 200 GB free on my HDD.

Please can someone offer some assistance?  I am not really that clued up when it comes to computers.  The Windows movie maker on the computer just stopped working (crashed all the time), and now we need to look to greener pastures for something more stable.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
          Itay B. Level 1

Dear The Elses,

Your "full intention of purchasing" may undergo some revision, as you read the following thread, possibly related to your problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/508037?tstart=0

Mind that the participants of this forum (all volunteers) are top notch experts, and very helpful. If only the product was as trustworthy as its userbase!

• 2. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would recommend is to read through this ARTICLE on getting your computer ready for an NLE session. There are many programs and Processes, that can get in the way, when running any NLE (Non Linear Editor) program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would also strongly suggest that one read through the many FAQ entries, on setting up one's computer. Steve Grisetti has done a great job posting instructions on this setup.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE can be very useful for finding "clues," as to what is going on, when a program hangs, or crashes. There is usually a "trail" of clues left behind, and the Event Viewer can help greatly. You do have to read through several message screens with useless "junk" in them, but many will have links, and one should follow them. Often, the user will find that a particular, seemingly unrelated driver will be the cause.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE links to a troubleshooting document. It was written with PrPro in mind, but many of the techniques and solutions apply directly to PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
                    Itay B. Level 1

Thanks for the great links, Hunt.

You've been infinitely more helpful to me than Adobe's formal support system. Upon contacting my local support service, concerning the crashes, i was sent a link to a troubleshooting document, listing 23 steps to try out (this document has also been posted on this forum on the thread i referred to above).

Perhaps Adobe is the best tool for professional editors with lots of time in their hands, and savvy in their brains, to troubleshoot and meticulously set up system prerequisites. I do not fit this profile at all.

Frankly, i'm seriously considering turning to one of Adobe's competitors.The alternative product i'm currently scouting seems rich enough in features, it is very fast (much more so than PE8) and seems robust. I've already sent an enquiry to the store where i purchased PE8 to see whether i would be eligible for a refund.

I only wish i hadn't wasted so much time and effort - my own as well as yours and all the other participants', who have been kind enough to lend me assistance - in learning an embarrassingly unstable piece of software, whose formal support system is exceptionally inadequate.

• 7. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
                      THE ELSES Level 1

Hi!

Thanks so much for your replies and your interest in my problem.  Prior to reading any of the replies (I didn't expect such a quick response!), I updated Vista, uninstalled Premiere Elements 8, and reinstalled it again.

The problem unfortunately persists, but there is some extra information that I now realise may be important: On the first attempt to start "new job" the program takes some time to initialise, then I start getting numerous errors beginning with "CAN'T LOAD MODULE"  One of them said "convert db to control voltage"  As I mentioned there were numerous others.  I clicked "OK" on all of them (not knowing what else to do), and it all culminated with a C++ runtime error. All this is absolute Greek to me!

Is there something wrong with my computer?  Should I reinstall Vista?  Everything else runs very well.  It is just this program (and Windows movie maker) that are causing such grief.

I have followed some of the links you have pointed out, and I have effected some of the changes to Vista to improve performance.  Due to current time constraints I haven't done the forensic Sherlock search yet! (not sure if I am suitably qualified to do such a feat!).

Thanks again!  Any further insight will be most welcome!

• 8. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For a possible cure to the C++ Runtime Error, this Adobe KB Article might be useful. Though not specific to PrE, it is really a system error.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Is there something wrong with my computer?  Should I reinstall Vista?  Everything else runs very well.  It is just this program (and Windows movie maker) that are causing such grief.

The missing modules error is not a good sign. There could be a systemic problem. I posted an Adobe KB article on the C++ Runtime Error, and it might fix some things. Or, there might be something deeper going on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
                            Itay B. Level 1

The competition has just crashed as well. So there may be something the matter with my computer. Possibly a hardware issue: an inadequate graphics card, or insufficient memory. I'm just guessing. Maybe i should just quit editing until i purchase a stronger computer.

• 11. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS CRASHES WHEN I WANT TO START "NEW PROJECT"
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would strongly urge everyone, who is having an issue with PrE8 file a Bug Report. These should be complete and offer as much detail, as is possible, so that the Adobe engineers can reproduce the problem in their labs. Remember, these folk are engineers, and are not officers at Adobe. They are just hard-working folk, who spend all day trying to get to the bottom of Bugs in the software. Please help them help you. Saying that the program does not work, will be of no help at all.

I know that Adobe takes the Bug Reports/Feature Requests to heart and that they have a dedicated staff to researching every report filed. Again, help them to help you, and others.

Just a suggestion,

Hunt