7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 3:37 PM by Eric Addison

Buying a new laptop...

Eric Addison User Group Manager

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on getting a new laptop due to moving to an almost all HD workflow and my older laptop doesn't play smoothly with that...not powerful enough. I'm cutting mostly XDCAM EX footage...

I know many of you are more hardware proficient then I am - any thoughts about these specs:

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 640GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (320GB x 2)
    • 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
    • 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
    • Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    •  

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Buying a new laptop...
          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Eric:

I'm not familiar with editing XDCAM EX footage, but I'll take a stab at suggesting a laptop:

AVADirect

The one listed for $2622.49 may work for you:

Overview:

•Built on Clevo D900F notebook barebone
          •17" WUXGA Ultra Bright Glossy TFT LCD display
          •Intel® Core™i7 or Xeon™ 5500 series quad-core socket 1366 processor
          •Intel® X58 + ICH10R chipset
          •Up to 12GB DDR3-1333 SODIMM triple-channel memory
          •NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 280M 1GB graphics
          •Up to 3 SATA hard drives w/ RAID 0, 1 and 5 capabilities
          •DVD±R/RW dual layer optical drive
          •Optional Intel® 802.11a/b/g/Draft N Mini-PCI wireless LAN card
          •Modem, Gb LAN, 8-channel Audio, 7-in-1 card reader, built-in 3MP webcam, optional Bluetooth, TV tuner w/ remote, and more ...
          •Custom painting option is available!

I would go with the 12GB of RAM and 3 internal hard drives.

If you can find someone successfully editing XDCAM EX footage on a notebook, their specs would be a great help.

• 2. Re: Buying a new laptop...
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric,

Is that instead of, or in addition to a workstation? If the former, why?

• 3. Re: Buying a new laptop...

Chuck - thanks for the info. I'll check it out. That price is a bit more then I am spending on the laptop I'm looking at, but I'd rather buy the best I can afford,

Harm - this will be in addition to my workstation. I've got clients that like to do some editing out on location and my current laptop can playback the XDCAM EX clips somewhat smoothly, but lay them down on a timeline and start adding some titles and do some editing and things slow down.

• 4. Re: Buying a new laptop...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

From the Lounge post:

Eric,

As this will probably be moved to the Hardware Forum, I'll post here.

Before you put the $ down, you might want to check out Sager, as a supplier. They are known for their extreme gaming laptops, but they are easily customized to do NLE work. I love mine, and have relied on it almost every day for 2.5 years.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Buying a new laptop...

Thanks, Hunt - I'll check that out...

Are the specs I posted pretty good? I haven't kept up with the i7 chips (or any chips for that matter)...should that configuration work well for HD editing?

I lean towards HP, knowing they are a little more expensive, because their computers have treated me very well over the last few years...but I'm always open to something better. And I've learned over the years to trust the opinion of many on this forum - some of you know FAR more then me, so I thought I'd ask for your wisdom.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Buying a new laptop...
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric,

For what you have in mind, the HP looks good, but I agree with Bill, have a look at Sager too. I would definitely opt for an i7 notebook.

• 7. Re: Buying a new laptop...
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Harm Millaard wrote:

Eric,

For what you have in mind, the HP looks good, but I agree with Bill, have a look at Sager too. I would definitely opt for an i7 notebook.

Thanks, Harm (and Bill) - I'll definitely check out Sagar...I've heard good things about them in the past.