8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 9:35 AM by the_wine_snob

How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?

cjrenson

I have just reinstalled by copy of Premiere Elements 4 in a new machine running Windows 7. There is no sound when I play old avi files with sound or if I capture new video with sound. How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There could be a number of problems:

1) Are you capturing miniDV video over FireWire?  Just want to ensure this.

2) Is your Windows 7 the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version? You may have some problems running this program on W7 64 bit.

3) It could be as simple as your ASIO settings being off. You can access them by going to Premeire Elements' Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware, clicking the ASIO settings button and ensuring all is set up correctly there.

If all of this checks out, let us know and we'll look into other options.

BTW, have you tried to play the captured video with Windows Media Player to ensure there actually is audio on your files?

• 2. Re: How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that Steve has covered about all of the possibilities out there.

If everything checks out, but you have no audio after you've gone through Steve's list, this might be able to help. Use this as a last resort, as it might be unnecessary. There is an ASIO driver, ASIO4ALL, that has solved many issues for many people. It came to me from the Adobe Audition forum, and has worked with some pretty esoteric sound gear. What I do not know is if it works with Win7. That might preclude its use. What one does is install this audio driver and then point the Input and Output to ASIO4ALL in the ASIO settings.

BTW - have you updated your audio driver? Was there a Win7 version offered?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?
              cjrenson Level 1

There could be a number of problems:

1) Are you capturing miniDV video over FireWire?  Just want to ensure this. Yes, but also playing old projects that work on WMP, but have no sound in PE

2) Is your Windows 7 the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version? You may have some problems running this program on W7 64 bit. It is running 64bit. Are you suggesting I need to run PE in 32 bit mode?

3) It could be as simple as your ASIO settings being off. You can access them by going to Premeire Elements' Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware, clicking the ASIO settings button and ensuring all is set up correctly there. ASIO looks right to me, but not sure I would know.

If all of this checks out, let us know and we'll look into other options.

BTW, have you tried to play the captured video with Windows Media Player to ensure there actually is audio on your files?

• 4. Re: How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Running Windows 7 64 bit in 32 bit mode won't likely solve the problem. Windows 7 automatically slips into 32 bit compatibility mode anyway when running 32 bit programs. The bigger issue is if your 64 bit sound drivers are compatible with the program.

So first and foremost, ensure you have the latest sound drivers. If your computer uses RealTek drivers, go to the RealTek web site and get the latest hi-def audio driver set.

When that's done, let's concentrate only on the DV-AVIs captured from your miniDV over FireWire. Your other AVIs may have other issues. You say you can play them in Media Player and they have sound but in Premiere Elements they don't?

If so, go to Premiere Elements Edit menu and select Preferences/Audio Hardware. Click on the ASIO settings button and then ensure that the ASIO settings are correct for your speaker configuration.

• 5. Re: How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at my ASIO settings in PrE 4. Maybe something there will help.

• 6. Re: How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?
                    cjrenson Level 1

Thanks for the help. My ASIO settings look similar except my output sync

reference is yes, instead of" no" like yours. Does that make a difference?

How can I change it, if it matters?

• 7. Re: How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?
                      cjrenson Level 1

Thank you for the answer. It turned out to be a matter of downloading the latest drive from R

ealTek. It was a new machine from HP so I made the silly assumption that it would come with the latest drivers. Sill

y me. Thank to those that provided helpful suggestions. Even those that didn't work expanded my horizons.

You guys are the best!

• 8. Re: How can I get audio to work with Windows 7?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting your success.

When a computer is built, the drivers are probably a few months old already. Then, a week for testing and shipping, and the time you take to set things up. Simple things like OS updates, patches and hot-fixes can render even a brand new driver obsolete. That's why vendors, like Realtek issue updated drivers with such regularity. Same for video drivers. Some vendors do this on a set monthly basis.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt