4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 6:07 PM by Dr. Powell

Save Image in ACR 5.6 vs. Open/Save from Photoshop CS4

Dr. Powell

Apologies in advance if this turns out to be cockpit error. Recently started shooting again, after a long hiatus, and boy there have been some changes over the past few years. I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Was used to early versions of ACR with CS2 and thought I was doing just fine finding my way around a new PC using ACR 5.6 RC with Photoshop CS4, when I processed my first shoot using the two. Followed my old/usual raw workflow with Photomechanic selects -> Bridge -> batch processing with Photoshop, when I noticed the JPEGs PS was saving from my PS Action didn't reflect adjustments I had set in ACR/Bridge.

The Action was pretty simple, just did an open, a few simple adjustments, profile/mode conversion, and a save as JPEG. I tried running the Action two different ways, once from Bridge and once directly in PS, and got the same result.

Scratching my head (this stuff used to work fine), I opened all the images into ACR from Bridge, clicked Select All, then clicked Save Images, and saved them as JPEGs into a folder. This worked, where each JPEG written reflected the crop, WB, exposure/brightness, contrast/black settings I had made through ACR/Bridge.

Any idea what I've overlooked? I tried this using both 32-bit and 64-bit PS. The PC is running Win7 RTM x64. The camera body is a Canon 7D, which is why I installed ACR 5.6 RC. I'm otherwise really tickled with everything. Nice to see the progress made by everyone in the industry while I was away. Thanks in advance...

-David

• 1. Re: Save Image in ACR 5.6 vs. Open/Save from Photoshop CS4
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Dr. Powell wrote:

Any idea what I've overlooked?

If you are running an action during a Batch operation you need to be sure that either you DON'T record ad Open step and select Suppress File Open and Color Profile Warnings in which case the Camera Raw settings in play for a given image will be processed in or make sure you _DO_ record an open step making sure you select the correct workflow settings (color space, resolution, etc) but without making ANY adjustments while recording the open step and make sure you've selected the Override Action Open Command...

It's confusing until you understand what it is your are or not recording...

When you record a an open step while selecting the Workflow settings and NOT making any image adjustments all you are recording is the workflow settings. Then in Batch you tell the Batch to ignore the Open command and only use the Workflow settings...

Otherwise you don't actually need to record an explicit open step...you won't have any absolute control over what Workflow setting are in play-but since the Workflow settings are sticky you can open an image to double check the settings and click Done and then you've set the Workflow settings manually (not in an action).

The other oddity when recording an open action step in Photoshop is that the actual command to open must come from Photoshop...this may seem simple but it's not. I keep a spare raw file on the desktop so when recording an Open action I can start in Photoshop and turn on recording then drag & drop the raw file onto my Photoshop Icon to make sure Photoshop is opening the image then click to set the Workflow settings and specifically do NOT make any other image adjustment steps (they would also be recorded) and continue with the Open, then whatever other steps you need to add before recording the Save and Close steps (yeah, same tricky deal on the end with the Save As recorded and the Override Action Save As Commands...

If all of the above makes your eye's glaze over (the best time to learn how to do this stuff is NOT when you are under the gun or a deadline) I suggest you try using Image Processor...easier to set up and learn, not nearly as powerful as a Batch Action though...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Save Image in ACR 5.6 vs. Open/Save from Photoshop CS4
            xbytor2 Level 4

Thanks for clearing this up. I had inferred how this was working but it's good to hear the explanation from an authority

One question I do have is from here:

The other oddity when recording an open action step in Photoshop is that the actual command to open must come from Photoshop...this may seem simple but it's not. I keep a spare raw file on the desktop so when recording an Open action I can start in Photoshop and turn on recording then drag & drop the raw file onto my Photoshop Icon to make sure Photoshop is opening the image then click to set the Workflow settings and specifically do NOT make any other image adjustment steps (they would also be recorded) and continue with the Open, then whatever other steps you need to add before recording the Save and Close steps (yeah, same tricky deal on the end with the Save As recorded and the Override Action Save As Commands...

Does the raw file you use to record the action have to be from the same camera model has the raw files you will process later? For instance, I have some actions recorded using D80 nefs. Are things going to be ok running these actions on D90 nefs?

I know that the camera model is recorded in the action. I just don't know how that effects the Open processing.

-X

• 3. Re: Save Image in ACR 5.6 vs. Open/Save from Photoshop CS4
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

xbytor2 wrote:

Does the raw file you use to record the action have to be from the same camera model has the raw files you will process later

The source (directory path) and type of raw is irrelevant when recording the open step.

The only relevant aspects are the fact it's a raw (not sure you could reliably record an open for both raw & JPEGs–I'll have to try), the fact that you DON'T record any specific image adjustment (which will override the settings already applied) and that you specifically record the Workflow settings to make sure the size, color profile and other options are locked into the recorded action...

• 4. Re: Save Image in ACR 5.6 vs. Open/Save from Photoshop CS4
                Dr. Powell Level 1

Thank you so much, Jeff, I'm sure that's it. I'll have to play with Image Processor after I fix my settings/action.

Just yesterday, I ordered from Amazon the CS4 version of Real World Camera Raw. The 2005 edition I have was a game-changer for me when it came out.

-David