11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 9:40 AM by CodeRoyal

Wrong Duration

CodeRoyal Level 1

Hi,

I'm running a Trial of Adobe Premiere and I tried to import videos from a Town Council DVD into Premiere (VOB files), but in Premiere, it reports that the duration is only 23 seconds when in reality it's 1 our and 55 minutes. The files are split into multiple VOB files, VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2, etc.. each one is 1 hour and 55 minutes. Premiere seems to read the wrong time for each VOB file. For example, the VTS_01_3 is reported as 30 minutes, but it's over an hour as well in reality.

Is there any suggestions on what I can do to get it to understand the correct duration of each file?

Thanks,

Alan

• 1. Re: Wrong Duration
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The trial, as you should have read on the Adobe site, does not support anything MPEG related, including VOB.

• 2. Re: Wrong Duration
            CodeRoyal Level 1

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't install the software but I thought it was a trial. I launched it and it's version 4.2. It must not be a trial then if I am able to do anything with VOB. Sorry about the misinformation!

• 3. Re: Wrong Duration
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It is highly unlikely that a single VOB file can contain 1:55 of material, for the simple reason that a VOB file must fit within the 2 GB file limit that FAT dictates. You may be better off with trying to rip the DVD. Use Google for that.

• 4. Re: Wrong Duration
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

The total Duration of the DVD might be 01:55:00:00, but your individual VOB's will be far less than that. Also, .VOB_01 will have all Menus and navigational instructions and will likely be the shortest of all the MPEG-2 segments. The other .VOB's will basically be 100% MPEG-2 segments.

This ARTICLE will give you some more info on .VOB's.

Now, CS4.2 will Import .VOB's, so long as they are 100% DVD-compliant (very important). Many programs and DVD "machines" play very fast and loose with the DVD-specs. Adobe Encore is an example of a program that does a great job with regards to authoring a DVD-Video.

Also, the Durations that you list just do not make sense. It would seem that you are saying that the total runtime of this DVD is about 7.5 hours. Even on a DVD-9, the bit-rate would be so horribly low, as to make watching a painful experience. Do you have the total runtime of the entire DVD? Each .VOB should be right at 1GB in size. What does Windows Explorer show for each one? How many total on this disc? Something is just not making sense.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Wrong Duration
                  CodeRoyal Level 1

Hi Hunt,

You are right that my original pose didn't make sense. I swear though that when I launch one of the 4 VOB files in the DVD using Windows Media Player, it reports it at 1:55 minutes. However, after my post, I launched it from Sorenson and it reported what I believe to accurate, 30 minutes. Probably Windows was tallying the total video size of all of the VOB files collectiviely which confused me, probably by design since the VOB files were meant to be played in order automatically by DVD software.

So yes, I believe it's actually 30 minutes in each file.

Each VOB files is exactly 1,048,574 KB according to Windows.

The odd thing is, Windows itself is reporting itself in Explorer the same incorrect durations. It list the first one (Excluding the first VOB, VIDEO_TS which is just menu data) as being 23 seconds. The second one being 6 seconds. Third one is 26:30, last one is 16 seconds.

Is it possible that Adobe is relying on Windows to report the correct duration, and that the issue is with Windows 7 64-Bit OS?

• 6. Re: Wrong Duration
                    CodeRoyal Level 1

> "You may be better off with trying to rip the DVD. Use Google for that."

Thanks for the reply. I used DVD FAB 6 HD Decrypter to rip the CD onto the computer.

• 7. Re: Wrong Duration
                      CodeRoyal Level 1

I should also add that when I drag the first VOB files (Which windows and Adobe both report is 23 seconds) in

to a separate folder, away romt he other VOB files. I can launch it in windows Media Player, and it plays for exactly 32 minutes, confirming the video size as reported by Sorenson software.

• 8. Re: Wrong Duration
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Each VOB files is exactly 1,048,574 KB according to Windows.

That is exactly as it should be. Otherwise, the DVD-specs were being horribly abused.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Wrong Duration
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

It is difficult to say anything about the Duration of the MPEG-2 material in .VOB_01. That could be all that there is, because of either the Menus, or maybe some ROM content. Remember, much can be in a VOB (Video Object).

If it is 100% DVD-compliant, then CS4.2 should Import it fine.

When you have Imported each VOB, and then dragged their respective content to the Timeline, do things match up? That would be the ultimate test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Wrong Duration
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

This behavior indicates that your DVD-Video is not 100% DVD-compliant. Where did it come from again? Something is smurfed with it, and ripping, either via software, or via a composite feed to an A-D bridge, might be the only way around the issue.

Personally, I favor the A-D bridge and the composite feed route for any DVD. That takes the DVD-compliance issue out of the equation - usually.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Wrong Duration
                              CodeRoyal Level 1

>"When you have Imported each VOB, and then dragged their respective content to the Timeline, do things match up? That would be the ultimate test."

When I drag each VOB to the timeline, they are at the size on the timeline based on the inaccurate reading of the duration (23 seconds for example) and not on the actual duration.

Regarding DVD compliance, I'm not really sure what to say. It was burned using a DVD recorder. A camera was hooked to the recorder and it was set to record the feed. No unusual equipment was utilized. The video plays fine in a DVD player, and in Windows Media Player.

In the end, I had to use Sorenson Sqeeze to import the videos. I was hoping to use Premiere because it could produce one single FLV video, while Sorenson would produce multiple FLV files for each VOB.

I suspect the issue may be related to the Operating System rather than Premiere, because the O.S. was reporing the same incorrect duration in the Explorer. I wonder if Adobe Premiere is designed to read the duration from the Operating System, instead of directly from the video itself. This would explain it. Sorenson probably interfaces directly with the VOB to read the duration.

Anyhow, thanks for your help!

Alan