9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 4:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Help with importing video into CS4

JEFFB1863

I have two problems:

1. When I import an AVI file into CS4 only part of the video plays in the source monitor; in spite of the complete video playing perfectly fine in Windos Media Player on my desk top?

2. After importing a DV or MPEG file unllike the AVI files they play from start to finish, but the video image acually vibrates - causing the images to blur?

• 1. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us more about the .AVI. That is but a "wrapper," and anything can be in that/those file(s). This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
            JEFFB1863 Level 1

So what's the best file type to import into CS4?

• 3. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

After reading that AVI (actually applies to most file formats, and not just .AVI), please tell us about the files.

The reason that I ask is that I often have to convert all sorts of file formats/CODEC's, and I chose to convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. The vast majority work perfectly. However, there are some, that Import with the wrong Duration, into PrPro. G-Spot shows the correct Duration and will Render and play the files perfectly. However, the Duration is truncated, and usually by a lot. I have found that if I Import that/those file(s) into PrElements, and then Export to the exact same format/CODEC w/ the exact same settings, things are now OK - Duration is NOW correct.

I have tried everything that I can think of to find out what is different. They are the same exact size, and DupeFile Finder sees them as identical, and G-Spot reports the same exact specs. Still, there has to be something different between them. I just cannot find it. For others, where they have .AVI files that should work, but get truncated, I recommend the same workflow.

It has to be something in the file header, but nothing that I have used, has found the issue. Similar can happen with Photoshop. Some JPEG's, with incomplete, corrupted or otherwise poorly formed headers will not Open in PS. They WILL Open in many other programs, and a simple Save (same size, format, specs., name, etc.) will now allow PS to Open and edit them. Not a direct comparisson, nor the most simple workflow, but one that has worked on many JPEG files. I've even seen similar with some TIFF's.

Just some thoughts, and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                So what's the best file type to import into CS4?

For SD (Standard Definition) material, DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio is as good as it gets. However, see my post above on some DV-AVI Type II's and Duration problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
                  JEFFB1863 Level 1

The info on the MPEG4 is:

Type: XDCAM-EX Movie File Size: 525 KB Image Size: 640 x 480 Pixel Depth: 32 Frame Rate: 25.00 Total Duration: 00:00:49:10 Average Data Rate: 10 KB / second Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

• 6. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I thought that it was the .AVI material, with which you had an issue.

Sorry that I got confused.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

2. After importing a DV or MPEG file unllike the AVI files they play from start to finish, but the video image acually vibrates - causing the images to blur?

This could easily just be a playback issue. Please tell us about your system. The CPU and the I/O, i.e. your HDD's, their size, free space, speed, controller type and how they are allocated. There is likely something in there that is causing this.

Above, I see that these are MP4. Which H.264 CODEC's do you have on your system. Three popular ones are: Apple, MainConcept and Lead. Some have had much better luck with one vs the others. The success seems to depend on their systems most of all. MainConcept and Lead probably get more "Good CODEC" comments, than the Apple, but it still works for many.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
                        JEFFB1863 Level 1

The AVI video just wont show completely in the source monitor, but the MPEG show completely but vibrates thus blurring the images. Can you help with the MPEG since AVI appears to be a bad starting point?

• 9. Re: Help with importing video into CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, if it's a DV-AVI Type II, it's the best starting point. Does not get better than that for SD footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - comments on MP4's above.