15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 5:57 AM by JETalmage

How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?

Iwakura-san

Okay, I admit, I'm very new to vectoring, but I'm running into an annoying rasterization problem with Adobe Illustrator CS3.

Ok, so I have a vectored image. It's low-res (72 DPS), because it's basically just lines. The preview window in Illustrator shows beautiful, totally smooth lines: picture-perfect. I "Select All", copy it into Photoshop (as pixels), and lo and behold, the image looks totally crappy! All jagged edges, no anti-aliasing, etc. So I figured I just make the image a bit larger, set the document raster size to 300dpi, and saved the new .ai file. To no avail, either. Even transformed it to higher res. Didn't solve it either.

At long last I resolved to just taking a bloody screengrab from the preview window, thinking that would at least give me a clear shot. Alas, I thought wrong. Illustrator still passes a crappy image to Photoshop! (Or rather, what you get in PtrScrn is apparently still vectorized data that Photoshop continues to show horridly). So, now I'm faced with an Illustrator preview window that can show the vectored image better than anything else, but with no way to export it in that quality to a rasterized image! Very frustrating.

I hope someone knows how to solve this. Thanks.

P.S. I wish I could show you, but I can't make the screengrabs!

P.P.S. I'm talking about "Overprint preview" above. "Pixel preview" also looks crappy in AI. So, the question then becomes, how can I output my stuff in "Overprint preview" quality?

• 1. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
          Doug Katz Level 4

OK, so ur language is not like clear. So u really need to like splain better what ur doing.

OK, so u have a "vectored image." Like what is a vectored image, dude?! Did u like Live Trace it? And OK, how is a vectored image 72 DPS? And I'm like, what's this dude talking about, DPS. OK is it some kinda like way to talk about resolution? OK so I'm like, how can a vectored image like have a DPS, you know?

OK, so like u need to get clearer with the words if you want some splanations, dude....

• 2. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
            Iwakura-san Level 1

The 72 DPI is what AI warns me about when I try and save a document. It initially said the "Document Raster Effects resolution is 72 DPI or less." Anyway, that wasn't really the problem (as i set it to 300 DPI).

And you want me to explained what a vectored image is? It's an image I traced, with the pen-tool, in Photoshop. It now exists as AI vector image.

• 4. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
              markerline Level 4

How did you get from using Illustrator to using Photoshop for creating a vector image?  You said you used the pen tool in PS??  You should be using Illustrator for all vector applications unless you are starting with a raster image in Photoshop, in which case you can easily "Place" the raster image into Illustrator and manually trace there using the pen tool. Once you have an outline/vector image in Illustrator you should have no problems creating a high-res pixel-based image by Exporting from Illustrator to JPG, PNG, TIFF, etc.

I can't see where you're having issues.  Maybe you can post an image of your original vector .ai file as a PDF and then show your resulting image as a JPG to show us where you're having problems.

-markerline

• 5. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Iwakura-san,

Please do not pay attention to the rude and sarcastic Doug Katz useless comments. The majority of us we are here to help others.

Illustrator create lines using mathematics, therefore every line will always be smooth. You can enlarge or reduce the artwork and wont affect the quality of the work.

Photoshop uses pixels to create or manage the files. So if you enlarge or reduce the artwork will affect the quality of the work. If you have an initial canvas set as 72 DPI (Dots per inch) and then you changed the resolution to 300DPI everything will have jagged edges.

Solution: Copy everything from Illustrator (just like you do), then paste it into Photoshop. At this moment Photoshop will show you this window:

Paste.png

In your case, you want to select "Smart Objects", This option will allow you to re-size your artwork without loosing the quality of the artwork:

Fortune.png

Here is a video on how to do it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pop_smart.html

Please let me know if I understood correctly your question.

I hope this helps!

• 6. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                  shunithD Level 3

Iwakura-san wrote:

Okay, I admit, I'm very new to vectoring, but I'm running into an annoying rasterization problem with Adobe Illustrator CS3.

Ok, so I have a vectored image. It's low-res (72 DPS), because it's basically just lines. The preview window in Illustrator shows beautiful, totally smooth lines: picture-perfect. I "Select All", copy it into Photoshop (as pixels), and lo and behold, the image looks totally crappy! All jagged edges, no anti-aliasing, etc. So I figured I just make the image a bit larger, set the document raster size to 300dpi, and saved the new .ai file. To no avail, either. Even transformed it to higher res. Didn't solve it either.

Are you sure that the image is vector and not raster?

If vector, then just place into PS as a smart object and then resize it there. If it's placed as pixels, the, naturally, it'll look jaggy when you size it up.

Alternatively, you can open the .ai file in PS and give the size you need in the dialogue box there...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                    shunithD Level 3

Skullmaker wrote:

Hello Iwakura-san,

<snipped>

Hi...

Nice explanation... guess our posts crossed, otherwise i wouldn't have responded after seeing yours...

• 8. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                      markerline Level 4

Wow, Skullmaker.  I never knew about Smart Object pasting into PS.  I assume this works in Windows as well as Mac.  I think I've stumbled upon a new solution path as I was exclusively using AI prior to this post for vector-related issues.  Thanks.

-markerline

• 9. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                        Skullmaker Level 3

ShunithD,

I am glad that we are helping each other.

Soon I will be posting questions in Flash Forum because I am just learning how to use the program. Wish me good luck!

• 10. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                          Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Markerline,

Yep, this works in Windows or Mac.

• 11. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                            Iwakura-san Level 1

Wow, Skullmaker, that was a very thorough and great explanation of things! Domo arigato! And thanks for the kind words.

I now see where the jagged edges are coming from. I guess I just have to export the canvas in a higher res to begin with. Or best, not export at all, and just work directly in Illustrator to start with. See, I was trying my hand at vectoring Anime stuff, and found a tutorial for doing so with the pen-tool inside Photoshop. Then, half-way, I realized I might as well do this in Illustrator directly, as it was made for vector manipulation.

As for the "Overprint Preview," the reason those lines look so crisp is that it actually seems to correct existing unsmoothness in the source, so as to form perfect lines. Still wish I could capture that clean output, but there seems no (easy) way to do that.

• 12. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                              shunithD Level 3

Skullmaker wrote:

Soon I will be posting questions in Flash Forum because I am just learning how to use the program. Wish me good luck!

Good Luck!!! Though, i doubt that you'll need it!!!

• 13. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                                JETalmage Level 6
                                Please do not pay attention to the rude and sarcastic Doug Katz

No, please do.

Threads like this are quickly becoming the most common type in this forum: Someone who has obviously spent zero time looking at the documentation, just launches a program which they admit they know nothing about, and then come here asking for help using ambiguous gibberish that makes absolutely no sense in the context of the program. Then they try to "cover up" their sloth with "cute" or "hip" colloquialism.

Doug's sarcasm is dead on-point, and is a very clear and succinct way to drive home what I just said above (which you will no doubt consider "rude," regardless of the fact that it is just a simple and direct statement of the truth).

The thread then proceeds to become a lengthy series of blind-leading-the-blind posts, with everyone making mere guesses as to what the thread originator is actually doing. To wit:

It is not necessary to use the Smart Objects option to obtain smooth rasterization of something copied from Illustrator and pasted into Photoshop. That is not the purpose of Smart Objects. (See the documentation.)

It sounds like Iwakura-san is merely pasting something into Photoshop, seeing the initial unaliased display inside the transform box, and assuming that something is wrong. When you paste vector artwork from Illustrator into Photoshop, you get the Paste As dialog. You can then select Pixels, instructing Photoshop to rasterize the vector artwork (Photoshop is doing this rasterization, Iwakura-san, not Illustrator) to the resolution of the current document after you have positioned and scaled it as desired. As long as the artwork is shown in its transform box, you can scale it and position it because it's still on the clipboard as vector artwork and only a low-res preview of it is being displayed, to facilitate your positioning it. When you have it positioned and scaled as desired, doubleClick inside it, and it will then rasterize to the Photoshop document's resolution and antialias.

But again...that's all just more guessing at the meaning of a very poorly described question.

JET

• 14. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                                  Iwakura-san Level 1

You assume an aweful lot, Jet. For starters, that "just launching a program which they admit they know nothing about" is somehow a bad thing. I'm glad you were born with an innate knowledge of Illustrator -- I was not. And what you call "ambiguous gibberish" is just part and parcel of describing a problem one can't define exactly (because if I already knew precisely what the issue was, I wouldn't have to ask, now, would I?). Most posters understand that new folks often have trouble using the right terminology or that they get confused as to what happens exactly at what stage.

And I read up on the documentation plenty. I had scaled the image up using Transform, adjusted the rasterize resolution defaults, etc. (and sorry to say, but a 72 DPI rasterize default is counter-intuitive to a newbie). But, like I said above, if you do not exactly know what the problem is, it's hard to search the documentation for answers. As Sarek told Spock once: "It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question." Skullmaker, however, was kind enough to explain it anyway.

And I wasn't "merely pasting something into Photoshop, seeing the initial unaliased display inside the transform box, and assuming that something is wrong." Did you even read my start post? I said the "Overprint Preview" shows a decidedly cleaner output then what I get from either a pixel-preview, or from pasting it into Photoshop (also after placement), anti-aliased or not. To this date, I actually still don't know exactly why that is. Seems the "Overprint Preview" engine has some corrective properties (other than what the documentation says Overprint will do on your printer).

So, I will continue not paying attention to the rude and sarcastic posts or to people who feel a need for unwarranted grandstanding.

• 15. Re: How can I generate/copy to high-res rasterized output?
                                    JETalmage Level 6
                                    Most posters understand that new folks often have trouble using the right terminology or that they get confused as to what happens exactly at what stage.

That is no excuse. It is exactly why it's important for them to state explicitly the sequence of operations they perform. Even a first-time user can do that. The names of the tools and commands are right there in front of you.

I stand by what I said, and will continue to say it.

JET