3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 8:06 PM by carl schooff

problem with motion tweening in Flash CS4

ols49 Level 1

Hi !

I tried to refresh my little flash knowledge -- but I stumbled upon a problem with the new Flash CS4!

When I try to make different blur or alpha effect on one keyframe I got after making the motion tween -- Flash adjust the other keyframe as well (got the same reaction on both keyframes as if it was the same instance of movie clip -- and not as in old flash; the keyframes created separated or independent instances)

The only thing working for me is when I move the movie clip out of the stage on the first keyframe -- and it correctly move its position.

What's wrong?

Kind Regards

Maria Olsen

• 1. Re: problem with motion tweening in Flash CS4
          carl schooff Level 3

Hello Maria,

You sort of answered your own question:)

"got the same reaction on both keyframes as if it was the same instance of movie clip"

That is exactly right and is the proper way of looking at new motion tweens. It is one instance of the movieclip for the duration of the tween. It takes awhile to get used to this.

New motion tweens allow you to set up a a very simple tween initially without keyframing ending values / position. Once you start making changes after the tween is set, you are going to have to get familiar with adding "property keyframes". Property keyframes are displayed with those little diamond icons in the timeline. Poperty keyframes allow you to "lock in" certain specific properties at key points in your animation without affecting other properties. With the old classic keyframes, a keyframe placed mid-tween would create a whole new instance of a symbol with all properties (rotation, scale, alpha etc) set in stone for that point in time. The benefit was that you could easily have all properties tween TO and FROM that keyframe if that's what you wanted. Now you can make adjustments to a symbol mid-tween and only specifically adjust a single property. So you can adjust the alpha of an object mid-tween without interrupting say a rotation that you wanted to happen all the way through.

If you simply want an object to move left to right and then you decide it should fade in

CLASSIC TWEEN

-place symbol on frame 1

-keyframe frame 10

-in frame 10 move the symbol to the right

-add classice tween

Ok, that works, now add alpha fade in

-go back to frame 1 and set alpha to 0

-classice tween automatically adjusts alpha from 0 in frame 1 to 100 in frame 10.

-done

MOTION TWEEN

-place symbol on stage

-create motion tween

-playhead jumps to last frame

-move symbol to the right (no need to f6 / keyframe)

Flash automatically adds something called a "position" keyframe (notice the little black diamond)

Ok, that works, now add alpha fade in

-go to frame 1 and set alpha to 0

-test movie

-oops - wrong. As you noted the alpha will stay at 0 throughout the whole tween.

-you need to additionally go to the last frame and set the alpha back to 100

-this will automtically create a "color" property keyframe on the last frame

When just doing this now I noticed something odd as well

As soon as I do the position change and move the symbol to the right, if I try to add the "color keyframe" on the last frame of the tween, I am not allowed to do so. "color" and "filter" are greyed out. I would prefer to lock the alpha at 100 in the last frame while the playhead is in position before setting it down to 0 in frame 1. Oh well.

Seems you are forced to

-go back to the beginning of the tween

-adjust the alpha

-then go to the end and manually bring the alpha back up.

hmm maybe i'm missing something too:)

the best way to do this would be to have the foresight ahead of time to do the alpha

-place the symbol

-alpha 0

-add motion tween

-in last frame move the symbol  set alpha to 100 (alpha and position keyframes are automatically set)

So if you do it right the first time, its easy. If not, well.

Keep in mind an object will maintain the properties it has set in frame 1 unless a subsequent property keyframe enforces some adjustment.

If you have have an object that is moving from point a to b to c to d:

If you alter the alpha at point b, the alpha will tween from point a to b, but will maintain the new alpha to c, to d.

If you scale the clip by 200% at point, its scale will tween from point a all the way to point d, NOT just from c to d

To scale from point c to d only, set a "scale" property keyframe at point c (this will lock the objects scale at 100) THEN scale to 200% at point d

It takes a good deal of practice. I found the hard way that you just can't "wing" it. It isn't very intuitive coming from a classic tween approach.

These articles really helped me:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/motion_migration_guide.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/learning_guide/animation/

Take note of the tips on "cntr-clicking" frames and "shift-dragging". You have to really get used to a few keyboard modifiers when editing the timeline.

Stick around the forums. A lot of good info comes through daily.

Carl

• 2. Re: problem with motion tweening in Flash CS4
            ols49 Level 1

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the quick and informative reply:) Really helps, and I trying to get use to these new motion tween features.

I have now two other problems:

When I place an image on the stage and make a movie clip it becomes 'invisible' (as if I had adjust alpha on 0) but I have nothing applied to it . Have I come to lock something in the movie clips properties ?

When I try to export in preview mode in flash and html I get error and an answer 'make sure your destination file is not locked or on a locked drive'.... What does that mean?

Looking forward to seeing your answer

Kind Regards

Maria

• 3. Re: problem with motion tweening in Flash CS4
              carl schooff Level 3

np. glad to help.

When I place an image on the stage and make a movie clip it becomes 'invisible' (as if I had adjust alpha on 0) but I have nothing applied to it . Have I come to lock something in the movie clips properties ?

not so sure about this. is there a border or anything around the movieclip. if you are seeing a border it is possible that the layer has been set to display only outlines/borders. Click on the little colored sqaure all the way to the right of the layer name,this option tells the layer only to display the borders of the objects in the layer. It very well be another problem / bug

When I try to export in preview mode in flash and html I get error and an answer 'make sure your destination file is not locked or on a locked drive'.... What does that mean?

1: make sure you are not running you fla file off of a cd. when the swf is exported it is created in the same place as the fla, if the fla is running of a cd, the swf can't be written to the cd.

if not that...

2: check file -> publish settings > formats

3: next to FIle:Flash make sure the location of the exported swf is set to a folder that a) exists and b) is not locked / protected by you operating system.