6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 8:24 AM by the_wine_snob

16:9 ASPECT RATIO IMPORT PROBLEM

productflaws

Hi

I have a camera using SDHS cards. I set it for 16:9 aspect ratio recording. I know the output is 16:9 because it is when I use a SDHC card reader and view it on the PC with the viewer or play it elswhere it is 16:9

I set the new project to 16:9. in PRE-8 and got the media from the SD card. It imported it as 4:3 however and distorted it. The PRE-8 screen is showing the 16:9 preview box so I think it is set properly in new project.

I tried using all the posible import methods including DV, Hard drive, memory and so fourth. I tried all the camera and file methods and set them to 16:9 and still no lluck.

I noticed as soon as the images for the clips apear in the project section they are 4:3. However thinking they must be rendered to show as 16:9 I did that but to no avail.

Am I missing something? How do I get them into PRE-8 and have it show the widescreen format?

Thanks

• 1. Re: 16:9 ASPECT RATIO IMPORT PROBLEM
          productflaws Level 1

PROBLEM PARTLY SOLVED

By right clicking in the project screen (media bin?) and clicking Interete footage and selecting D!/DV NTSC Wide 16:9 it converted the clips to widescreen and displayed then correctly. However in the media screen ( Where they first apear at import, the icons are still 4:3.

If you can not tell format by the clip icons and if every clip has to be converted this way it is a big hassle. Why do I need to interpret every clip when it was created in the correct 16:9 format?

This is very different from Studio 14 which needs no further steps to properly format and display video.

Am I missing something???

• 2. Re: 16:9 ASPECT RATIO IMPORT PROBLEM
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

With most footage, 16:9 footage will come in as 16:9 in a 16:9 project.

I don't know enough about your video, its format or its pixel aspect ratio to say why it's not working for you though. It could be that you're using a non-standard video source.

• 3. Re: 16:9 ASPECT RATIO IMPORT PROBLEM
              jill the counter

I think this is a similar problem to the one I have.  I record on a Sony camera using mini dvds in 16:9.  I have never had a problem editing and playing video in 16:9 using Studio 12.  As previously reported my video using Premiere 7 only appears to play back in 4:3 despite my setting everything for 16:9.  The help desk has not been able to resolve this issue.  I only changed to Premiere because my voice over was not working in Studio 12.1 as it would not recognise my microphone.  I might add that their help desk couldn't resolve that issue either!  Is there a programme that works for everything?

• 4. Re: 16:9 ASPECT RATIO IMPORT PROBLEM
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said, some formats don't carry that 16:9 information over well.

Your best advice for dealing with video from miniDVDs (or any DVDs for that matter) is to convert them to DV-AVIs before you bring them into Premiere Elements. You can do this with the free program MPEG Streamclip, using the settings in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

The FAQ includes instructions for creating 16:9 AVIs from 16:9 VOBs.

• 5. Re: 16:9 ASPECT RATIO IMPORT PROBLEM
                  jill the counter Level 1

I have actually solved the problem - I went to one of the other discussions on this page and did the following:

In Edit - right click on the file (or clip) go to Interpret Footage and selected Pixel Aspect Ration for PAL 16:9 widescreen.

I have since changed all the files, exported my movie and it works perfectly!

Thanks for your help - I'm sure I'll will be returning with other issues.

• 6. Re: 16:9 ASPECT RATIO IMPORT PROBLEM
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jill,

Glad that the problem has been solved for you.

What happens with footage is that there is a set of instructions, the pull-downs, that will tell either an NLE (Non Linear Editor), or a display device, how to display the footage. Depending on the file format, these instructions might be in the file header, or might be given as metadata encoded within the file, or maybe even in an attached instruction file.

Sometimes, getting these instructions can be an issue, and the pull-down is lost. Interpret Footage can usually get things sorted, as in your case. You are basically helping the NLE get the necessary data to display the file correctly. In this case, those instructions are written to and Saved in the Project file, the .prel. When you Export/Share, those instructions are clearly written to the resultant AV file, and should now be usable and part of that file. Other programs can now easily read them, and act on them.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting your success!

Hunt