6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2009 8:10 PM by ugoharris

Changing Ramp color in After Effects

ugoharris Level 1

Hi all,

I'm still new to AE and currently using step by step guides from books to practice in AE. In one of my practice, I'm creating a text animation with a ramps shader as the background as seen in my attached file here, and according to the book, no matter initial your color choice from your color picker, the ramp color will eventually default to gradations of black and white as seen in my file here. I wonder if there's any way that I can have more control of my color here, so I'll choose the color of my ramp.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Changing Ramp color in After Effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

When attaching images, use the camera icon or the pix will get caught up in the virus queue. As I'm writing this, it's not yet visible. Anyway, I'm not really sure what you are describing, since you didn't mention what book and chapter and even then it's probably a newer revision which I don't have. There's a million ways to create gradients in AE, so probably you are simply missing something obvious.

• - Ramp effect
          • - Ramp effect, followed by Colorama
          • - Layer Styles - Gradient Overlay
          • - Shape Layers with gradient fills

For some specific cases, the effect may require to be applied to a solid, where the other layer, e.g. a text layer acts as the matte. also make sure to adjust the start and end points of the gradients to fall within the dimensions of the layer to be affected.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Changing Ramp color in After Effects
            ugoharris Level 1

Ok. Thanks for the uploading tip. I've enclosed the image as an attachment here for more clarification. hope it helps

Ugoharris.

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:02:50 -0700

To: ugoamadi@hotmail.com

Subject: Changing Ramp color in After Effects

When attaching images, use the camera icon or the pix will get caught up in the virus queue. As I'm writing this, it's not yet visible. Anyway, I'm not really sure what you are describing, since you didn't mention what book and chapter and even then it's probably a newer revision which I don't have. There's a million ways to create gradients in AE, so probably you are simply missing something obvious.

• - Ramp effect

• - Ramp effect, followed by Colorama

• - Layer Styles - Gradient Overlay

• - Shape Layers with gradient fills

For some specific cases, the effect may require to be applied to a solid, where the other layer, e.g. a text layer acts as the matte. also make sure to adjust the start and end points of the gradients to fall within the dimensions of the layer to be affected.

Mylenium

>

• 3. Re: Changing Ramp color in After Effects
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ugoharris' image upload didn't work.  For the record, here it is:

AE_ramp_Color.jpg

• 4. Re: Changing Ramp color in After Effects
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Like Mylenium, I'm not quite clear on the problem.  When you first apply the Ramp effect it always defaults to black and white, but you can set it to any colour you want.  To redefine the colours used in the Ramp effect, just click on the colour box in the effects pallette and choose a colour.

Looking at your image, your start and end point for your text ramp are 480 pixels apart on the Y axis, and one of those points is not visible within your comp.  The other point is sitting on the text, with the result that the Ramp is virtually invisible because it's spread over such a wide space.  Try positioning the Ramp start and end points closer together - just 50 pixels or so to start.

• 5. Re: Changing Ramp color in After Effects
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Just like Andrew, I'm still not sure what exactly you are trying to do or what you think doesn't work. As Andrew explained, clicking on the color readouts should work just fine in order to change the default colors to something more usable for your needs, but of course since your text layer is small in area, the start and end point will have to be adjusted or else you'll only see the middle part of the actual ramp...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Changing Ramp color in After Effects
                    ugoharris Level 1

Ok. Thanks.

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:36:20 -0700

To: ugoamadi@hotmail.com

Subject: Changing Ramp color in After Effects

Ugoharris' image upload didn't work.  For the record, here it is:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/16069/AE_ramp_Color.jpg

>