2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 12:53 PM by ugoharris

Unlabelled Alpha channel message!

ugoharris Level 1

Hi All,

As I was trying to import some files for use in my project in AE, and I got the message as seen in my attached file here. I didn't know what it meant and so didn't know what to do, but eventually ,though I saw the files that I was trying to import in my project area.

What does this message mean, and what should be my next action when I see it.

Thanks. Hope you can help.

ugoharris.

• 1. Re: Unlabelled Alpha channel message!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Again, please use the camera icon when attaching images so they show up immediately. To answer your question: Usually you can just ignore the message. It merely means that AE detects a 4th channel in an image file which has no name or type specified. AE always assumes the 4th channel to be an Alpha channel, however that must not necessarily be true. E.g. RPF/ RLA/ IFF/ OpenEXR images from 3D programs may contain a different info on the 4th channel because they can have multiple custom channels and, depending on teh program used to generate the files, this order can be arbitrary. Likewise, some programs tag the channels correctly, others don't. Generally nothing to go too crazy about, though. Most 3D artists know what channels they generate and if there are only 4 chanenls, AE's assumptions about the Alpha channel are normally correct.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Unlabelled Alpha channel message!
            ugoharris Level 1

Hi,

Thanks again for your tip. I'm also enclosing the image here. Actually, the book I was using is Adobe After Effects 6.5 magic by James Rankin by James Rankin and Anna Ullrich. See Pg. 79, but start reading from Pg 78.

Actually, I'm using AE cs3 for my projects.

Hope you're clarified.

Thanks.

Ugoharris

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:23:53 -0700

To: ugoamadi@hotmail.com

Subject: Unlabelled Alpha channel message!

Again, please use the camera icon when attaching images so they show up immediately. To answer your question: Usually you can just ignore the message. It merely means that AE detects a 4th channel in an image file which has no name or type specified. AE always assumes the 4th channel to be an Alpha channel, however that must not necessarily be true. E.g. RPF/ RLA/ IFF/ OpenEXR images from 3D programs may contain a different info on the 4th channel because they can have multiple custom channels and, depending on teh program used to generate the files, this order can be arbitrary. Likewise, some programs tag the channels correctly, others don't. Generally nothing to go too crazy about, though. Most 3D artists know what channels they generate and if there are only 4 chanenls, AE's assumptions about the Alpha channel are normally correct.

Mylenium

>