6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 11:02 AM by Scott_28365

AE CS3 crashes when setting audio format options for MP3

magnetofon Level 1

I've just submitted a bug report, but I wanted to see if anyone experienced this or have any suggestion.

Basically, when I add an MP3 audio to a comp, and trying to make a movie (exporting it as uncompressed QT), when I press the Format Options button under the audio options output, AE will crash.

Here are the steps.

1. Add an MP3 file to the project.
      2. Create a comp with only the MP3 file in it. You can also create other objects/elements in the comp as long as there's an MP3 audio file.
      3. Add the comp to the render queue (aka Make Movie)
      4. Under the Output Module settings, select "QuickTime video" for output. The "Format Options" for the QT movie is not important at this point, but you can select uncompressed animation.
      5. Check "Audio Output". Click the "Format Options" button under the Audio Output.
      6. After Effects CS3 will vanish from the screen without saying "Hi, how are you!"

WinXP SP3 32bit / 4G

After Effects CS3 8.0.2.27 dva:2.0.0.127845

Anyone getting this and knows why is this happening? Tried different MP3 files with the same results.

Thanks

• 1. Re: AE CS3 crashes when setting audio format options for MP3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, with what program were rthe MP3's created? Over the years there have been slight enhancements and additions, which could cause trouble, depending on how soem encoders exploit those features. Generally AE doesn't like compressed audio, that's a fact of life. Things like VBR encoding, Surround MP3 or use of optional ID3 v2 tags definitely can make it go poof as can DRM data if the file was obtained from an online store. Normal MP3s with CBR encoding at reasonable data rates and sampling rates should work, but may produce audible disturbances. So all in all, the best solution is still to convert any audio into plain WAV/ AIFF files for use in AE.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AE CS3 crashes when setting audio format options for MP3
            magnetofon Level 1

I see your point. Makes sense. Yes the file came from an online store (still a 'preview' sound). I will start converting my MP3s from now on.

• 3. Re: AE CS3 crashes when setting audio format options for MP3
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Thanks for reporting this. Adding repro steps is always very valuable (though I suspect that step 5 is all it takes!)

I think the nature of the source MP3 file(s) is probably irrelevant, since (if I understand correctly) the crash occurs when pressing the Audio Format Options button in the Output Module, not when previewing or rendering.

There was a similar report from another user. It looks like a problem with Quicktime on Windows, or at leasr some flavors of Windows.

Of course no combination of settings should make the application crash, but the odd thing that also struck me in the earlier report is... that by specifying MP3 for audio encoding on an Lossless (ie, Animation-encoded) Quicktime file, you're saving about 0.05 per cent in the overall file size/data rate To put it in perspective, you're making the audio go from 175 Kbytes per second to 30 Kbytes/s, on a file that easily can have a data rate of 20 Megabytes per second!

• 4. Re: AE CS3 crashes when setting audio format options for MP3
                magnetofon Level 1

I think the emphasis is really not the "space saving" of the MP3 file, but to have the video uncompressed, so that it can be recompressed later outside of AE. The fact that the sound is/was an MP3 file is just because that how the file was given.

Plus, changing the format of the MP3 sound is not possible since I assume that option would be in the dialog that would come up when you press the "Format Options" button. But since AE crashes, changing the MP3 file's nature/compression/format is not possible.

That's why it's helpful to do what Mllenium recommends, just to convert the MP3 file to another format first. BUT in that case, the "Format Options" button is grayed out.

• 5. Re: AE CS3 crashes when setting audio format options for MP3
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                  I think the emphasis is really not the "space saving" of the MP3 file, but to have the video uncompressed, so that it can be recompressed later outside of AE. The fact that the sound is/was an MP3 file is just because that how the file was given.

Magnetofon: AE always defaults to exporting uncompressed audio for Quicktime files. It doessn't matter if source audio files are MP3 or have other kinds of compression.

I suspect this button (Format Options for audio) will crash AE on your system even if there isn't any MP3 file imported in your project.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: AE CS3 crashes when setting audio format options for MP3
                    Scott_28365

I had the exact same problem.  On my Windows Vista 64  system, the problem  happens when you are using QuickTime version 7.6.4 or later (which was  released September 9, 2009).   The work-around is to uninstall QuickTime, then install version 7.6.2.