8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 10:22 AM by JETalmage

Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3

Cito-plan Level 1

If i'm getting this right,

1. CS 4 doesn't haven the Crop Area tool anymore.

2. Artboards are limited to 100 artboards per document depent there size.

Question;

Is it possibel to create an artboard from an element/object as you could with Crop Area?

Because in this way you could save "unlimited" artboard "templates" in your document for reuse.

Daniel Hoogendoorn

Cito-plan

• 1. Re: Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is it possibel to create an artboard from an element/object as you could with Crop Area?

Because in this way you could save "unlimited" artboard "templates" in your document for reuse.

Artboard Tool --> Presets popoup in the toolbar --> Fit Artboard to selected art

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3
            JETalmage Level 6

I take the 100 Artboards limitation to mean that it applies regardless of whether the Artboards overlap.

I did not buy CS4. But to me, the multiple artboards looks like a re-packaging of the former multiple crop areas. (There's all kinds of ways to interface a single functionality.)

I still think it ridiculous that the export dialogs don't simply provide a "Selection Only" option.

JET

• 3. Re: Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3
              Cito-plan Level 1

To be honest,

I thought I had the solution in CS3 to export my "pages'" like the lens within Freehand.

Rectangle (fit right on fragment of artwork) - Select,make croparea, export and release croparea to secure it.

In Freehand it was select rectangle, lensfill, Export selected object.

I want to do he same in illustrator. I need the rectangles of the fragments to be the exact same fragments  everytime i need them.

So Crop Area was a workaround but came close to it...

Sad to see that CS4 took it out of the box and replaced it with a simulated multiple page, sorry artboard, function wich is limited.

Again the question; is the multiple artboard function working the same way as the crop area tool?

If not, will there be one in CS5? or maybe...just wishfull thinking here....Is it possible to implement the Lens function in ....Illustrator?

• 4. Re: Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3
                [scott] Level 6

Again the question; is the multiple artboard function working the same way as the crop area tool?

No. If it did it would still be called Crop Areas.

Multiple artboards are a step forward. Yes, they still need a bit of refinement. Remember CS4 was the first implementation of them. I'm certain CS5 will see improvements.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the "lens' function in Freehand.

You can't create an artboard from an object. That is indeed one limitation I'd like to see lifted. You can create one artboard and just toggle different layers if needed. I guess I don't really understand the problem.

• 5. Re: Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3
                  Cito-plan Level 1

-Multiple artboards are a step forward.-

Hmm I'm missing here something... Why is the crop Area tool gone? maybe because multiple artboards is the one to compentsate for it?

And well it didn't , there are several discussions about that going on. Croparea's will be converted to artboards in CS4

>>You can't create an artboard from an object. That is indeed one limitation I'd like to see lifted. You can create one artboard and just toggle different layers if needed. I guess I don't really understand the problem<<

The problem is i've got a citymap, dimensions lets say 1000 mm x 1000 mm and I want to make an atlas from it.

In other words I want to take several 150 mm x 210 mm fragments of the original map and put them on seperate pages.

In Freehand I could make reference rectangles and give them a lensfill and export object only as an eps, pdf etc.

In CS3 I could make Crop Areas from the reference rectangles and export as pdf etc.

In CS4 crop areas is gone and will be converted to Artboards (i read in the forum).

I need the reference rectangles because everytime I export the litlle fragment it must be the same and on the exact same place.

The only way to do this in CS4 is to manualy move the page and bring it in line with the rectangle......

Anyone some other idea's? it's crucial for my workflow and I'm looking if Illustrator is capable to do this so we can switch...

• 6. Re: Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3
                    JETalmage Level 6

Just FYI: Corel Draw provides a Lens object very much like FreeHand's.

It is also able to cut its vector artwork (as opposed to merely masking it) better than either Illustrator or FreeHand.

JET

• 7. Re: Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3
                      Cito-plan Level 1

Hmm get your drift here but  could Corel Draw import the Freehand files on the fly without the mess of Illustrator?

• 8. Re: Multiple Artboards CS4 versus Crop Area CS3
                        JETalmage Level 6

FreeHand files can be exported to .ai, .eps, or .pdf. Draw can open those. You'll encounter the same kinds of limitations as inherent in any other path between two different PostScript drawing programs: Constructs not native to the exported format will be "dumbed down" to simpler constructs. For example, FreeHand has types of grad fills that Illustrator can't handle. With maps, one of the most common problems is Illustrator's inability to auto-fit textframes to their content.

There is no perfect translation from one drawing program's native format to another's, except for the simplest files.

JET

1 person found this helpful