9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 3:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load

mkn 777 er

Hi,

After quite a period 'away' from editing thought it about time to get back into it.  However, my Premiere Pro 1.5 will not start on my computer.  It (normally) gets to the loading Wave_Warp AEX, stops, thinks about it for a while and then the computer re-boots itself!  It works fine on my laptop and I even tried it on my wifes desktop with no problems.  I have tried everything that I can think of to stop this happening, including a full system restore with hard drive format thinking a clean HDD would be okay, but no, the same result.  I suspect there is a compatability issue with this computer, which is a Hewlett Packard Media machine running Win XP Media version.  Any help/advice much appreciated - I've already spent a lot of time trying to get this to work and thats before I've started editing!

PS  I'm very much a 'home user' and so do not want to go to the expense again of upgrading, only to find that would have the same problem - I did have an old 'trial' version of Pro 2.0, but that had the same result, the computer re-boots during loading.

Many thanks

mkn

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A "full system restore" is going to put back all of the crap/bloatware pre-installed by the vendor... if you meant that you did a restore from the discs they provide

When I have had to do this, I format the drive and manually install Windoze and programs, so I know exactly what is installed

Some other ideas...

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Many of the ideas at the next link are generic enough they have helped some Non-Premiere users fix problems
          Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Any kind of BSOD or automatic reboot and I'd be looking to a hardware problem, myself.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
              mkn 777 er Level 1

Gents thanks for the answers and sorry to bring this up to the top again, but this is becoming a real labour of love.  I have tried now everything my limited knowledge of computers will allow including formatting HDD, using different HDD, installing a new graphics card (expensive!), re-installing windows, every conceivable driver update, systematically un-installing hardware in the Device Manager and even physically removing some hardware (TV capture card etc.) but all with the same result - PREMIERE PRO CRASHES EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL AND CAUSES THE COMPUTER TO RE-BOOT.  As you can tell I'm getting very frustrated.  It works faultlessly on my laptop.  All other software works on the desktop including Photoshop, Illustrator, Encore etc. etc.  I've even done a system restore with ONLY Premiere Pro on the system and the result is the same.  After a week of playing with this my only thoughts are that (1) for some in-explicable reason Premiere will not run on this computer and (2) for some in-explicable reason Premiere will not run with this version of Win XP Media Centre Service Pack 3 and I should upgrade to Windows 7.

If anybody has similar experiences or ideas would be most grateful to receive them, even a suggestion of lobbing the computer out of the window would not go amiss!

Cheers

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Before tossing it out of the window, go for a fresh install of everything, OS and programs. Completely reformat your boot drive, do not use restore points.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Check your memory, too.  (Well...the computer's memory sticks, that is.)

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
                    mkn 777 er Level 1

Thanks again for the replies.  Harm, I would like to do what you suggest but not entirely sure on how to do it.  The only discs I have are the ones I made when I first got the computer (its a Hewlett-Packard) and they are the standard 'restore' discs.  If I 'format' the c drive, ie erase everything and then do a restore with the rescue discs would that give the correct response or do I need to get a proper, full install (of say Windows 7)?

Jim, ironically I was getting a hunch that it may be a memory module.  It has 2 GB consisting of 4 times 512 banks.  When I first got the computer one of the banks failed and was replaced under warranty but in that instance the entire computer would not start.  Having said that, i'm sure this a communication problem between the software and the computer.  It fails after the last 'loading' instruction (something like Wave_AEX), or, occasionally it gets past that onto the normal workspace but will then fail anytime within the next 15 secs or so.

Next job will be to systematically remove a memry bank at a time to see if I can isolate it that way.  If that doeas not work then i'll do as Harm suggests.

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Though specific to PrE, this Adobe KB Article might be helpful to you.

Good luck, and hope that it helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
                        mkn 777 er Level 1

I'm trying to contain my excitement here but I do believe I have got PP 1.5 to work on my computer!  And after the best part of a week of re-formatting, restoring, removing, adding, removing again, adding again, upgrading, scratched hands, much sweat and a little (?) bit of swearing, what was the answer?  Simple really (well it had to be didn't it) I found a small obscure driver update for my sound card, and hey presto, all appears to be okay - how did I miss that first time round?!

My thanks to Hunt, that Adobe Article did indeed point me in the right direction, and thanks to everybody else for their input.

Cheers

Mike

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 will not load
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

At the risk of a premature celebration, that sounds like great news.

Audio and video drivers are fragile things. A simple OS hot-fix can render them obsolete in a heartbeat. That's why the vendors update them so very often.

Let's hope that things are fixed!

Good luck,

Hunt