6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 1:09 PM by Mylenium

After Effects (Export M2v Main Concept Encoder) Pixel Aspect?

itsasecret.com

So after 10 odd years of DVD production thought I would change my 
      production line and include Adobe main concepts media encoder in the export module 
      for Mpeg2 from after effects saving a production step.

Am I missing something here appears that the option only puts out square pixels,

I'm am going from Adobe PSD (720 540) to AE comp, scale to fit into a new AE comp 720/486 render comp, and set the output setting from AE to M2V. Nope screws it up...Does it crop or frame resize? ??????

I assume it will crop 2 pixels from the top 4 off the bottom, but I have no Idea as to what it does to my render comp. Looked everywhere online perhaps someone here can shed some light on this for me...

Until then... the old dog will return to his old tricks......

• 1. Re: After Effects (Export M2v Main Concept Encoder) Pixel Aspect?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, what settings do you use? Sounds you are creating your own mess by mingling up 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios and the respective comp settings. Also note, that you may be using the wrong size settings. PAR conversion has been changed in CS4, so older (incorrect) sizes will not be handled correctly. See this document for details. By all means, these things need to be obeyed correctly or you get the weirdest stuff. With correct settings, the AME-based encoders do everything just fine, so I would really think you just need to re-check your settings. Additionally, why not control the process from the start. Yes, 720x480 is the final output size for DVD anyway, so why even bother with creating an 486 comp in the first place?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects (Export M2v Main Concept Encoder) Pixel Aspect?
            itsasecret.com Level 1

Obviously who did not read my post and have me confused. My work flow is

absolutely the INDUSTRY STANDARD. What are you talking about 16/9? We need

to be exact pixel to pixel match for menu overlays in our business. That is

why my question is one that's needs the absolute math.

1. As I said 720/540 square is how you begin the the Menu design process for

standard definition and approvals since the clients will be approving from a

computer screen. (Look at the presets in ANY adobe product). What you see is

what you get. ³WYSIWYG² then from that approved comp size,  to be motion

menu we need to move to..

2. ADOBE After Effects for composition and motion, adding captured VIDEO (

D1 non square 720 by 486 footage) IF you work in the professional world. So

you need to make a new comp at D1 non square (See the presets 720 486) then

place into this new comp your 720 540 non square comp into this new D1 non

square comp 720 486, and simply force fit it to the new comps size ³Command,

Option,  F² now you have a comp which is sized and ready for professional

work and render output. D1 720 by 486

3. For the record ALL encoders hardware and software crop the frame size by

6 pixels period

So as we can see the question is... What is the MV2 encoder in Adobe ³Main

Concept Encoder² doing to this INDUSTRY STANDARD resolution? The 720 by 486

needs to become 720 by 480.... Is it...

1. Cropping the 6 pixels? If so the INDUSTRY STANDARD is ³Crop 2 off the top

and 4 off the bottom² is reach it goal. In this method the the field

dominance is correctly maintained.

2. Or is it frame sizing the image? Or it is incorrectly creating SQUARE

pixels? Which is what conclusion I have come to.

My questions can not be more specific.

--

Thanks,

Tim Cutt

2920 Ocean Drive

Manhattan Beach, CA. 90266

310 939 9893 Fax 310 939 9113

www.itsasecret.com

tim@itsasecret.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any documents, files or

previous e-mail messages attached to it, constitute an electronic

communication within the scope of the Electronic Communication Privacy Act

18 USCA 2510. Thanks.

Reply-To: <clearspace-1846760181-561471-2-2416732@mail.forums.adobe.com>

Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 03:05:28 -0700

To: Tim Cutt <tim@itsasecret.com>

Subject: After Effects (Export M2v Main Concept Encoder)

Pixel Aspect?

Well, what settings do you use? Sounds you are creating your own mess by

mingling up 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios and the respective comp settings.

Also note, that you may be using the wrong size settings. PAR conversion has

been changed in CS4, so older (incorrect) sizes will not be handled

correctly.

Seehttp://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c11039

06c6dea-7f3aa.html for details. By all means, these things need to be obeyed

correctly or you get the weirdest stuff. With correct settings, the

AME-based encoders do everything just fine, so I would really think you just

need to re-check your settings. Additionally, why not control the process

from the start. Yes, 720x480 is the final output size for DVD anyway, so why

even bother with creating an 486 comp in the first place?

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects (Export M2v Main Concept Encoder) Pixel Aspect?
              itsasecret.com Level 1

Obviously who did not read my post and have me confused. My work flow is absolutely the INDUSTRY STANDARD. What are you talking about 16/9? We need to be exact pixel to pixel match for menu overlays in our business. That is why my question is one that's needs the absolute math.

1. As I said 720/540 square is how you begin the the Menu design process for standard definition and approvals since the clients will be approving from a computer screen. (Look at the presets in ANY adobe product). What you see is what you get. “WYSIWYG” then from that approved comp size,  to be motion menu we need to move to..
              2. ADOBE After Effects for composition and motion, adding captured VIDEO ( D1 non square 720 by 486 footage) IF you work in the professional world. So you need to make a new comp at D1 non square (See the presets 720 486) then place into this new comp your 720 540 non square comp into this new D1 non square comp 720 486, and simply force fit it to the new comps size “Command, Option,  F” now you have a comp which is sized and ready for professional work and render output. D1 720 by 486
              3. For the record ALL encoders hardware and software crop the frame size by 6 pixels period

So as we can see the question is... What is the MV2 encoder in Adobe “Main Concept Encoder” doing to this INDUSTRY STANDARD resolution? The 720 by 486 needs to become 720 by 480.... Is it...
              1. Cropping the 6 pixels? If so the INDUSTRY STANDARD is “Crop 2 off the top and 4 off the bottom” is reach it goal. In this method the the field dominance is correctly maintained.
              2. Or is it frame sizing the image? Or it is incorrectly creating SQUARE pixels? Which is what conclusion I have come to.

My questions can not be more specific.

• 4. Re: After Effects (Export M2v Main Concept Encoder) Pixel Aspect?

720x540  is only valid for anything with a 4:3 frame aspect, but I really doubt all the menus you produce are 4:3, or are they? Even then, in Adobe tools that resolution would only be usable in CS3 and before. For CS4, these things have been changed to correctly reflect ITU specs. Ergo, your menu would be converted wrongly in any CS4 program from AE to AME, Premiere and Encore, because their frame fitting would be based on wrong assumptions then. That's all I meant and I strongly believe your problems stem from not considering these changes. That aside, I don't really get why you are actually producing data only to throw it away upon conversion. You can perfectly have all your stuff in a 720x480 comp and AE will handle it correctly as will the conversion to MPEG-2.

On a personal note: Get rid of this incriminating undertone. I find your insinuations with regards to "professionalism" (or, as you seem to see it, lack thereof) quite offensive. You really should consider, that people trying to help you here (on their own spare time, no less)  are also working professionally in "the industry" - whatever such platitudes are worth - yet nobody can claim to have all answers. If I misunderstand you, then I apologize, but there is no reason to fall into rant mode...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After Effects (Export M2v Main Concept Encoder) Pixel Aspect?
                  itsasecret.com Level 1

Thanks for not answering the question, please why don't you move off my posting? With all due respect. Please?

Look my question was simple.

Can someone from Adobe help me?

• 6. Re: After Effects (Export M2v Main Concept Encoder) Pixel Aspect?

This is a user to user forum, not an official Adobe support area. Technical support questions must be handled via the contact form.

Mylenium