6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 2:50 PM by Paul Rivas

I have photoshop CS2, wanting to adjust the skin tones

Cheriesshadow

I take photos of clothing for a on-line seller.  I have been using a Nikon D-200 which seems not to like the various blues of jeans. When I adjust the color of the the jeans, it of course changes the skin color. How could I isolate the skin for color correction. Any ideas would be much appreciated

• 1. Re: I have photoshop CS2, wanting to adjust the skin tones
          John Danek Level 4

You've almost answered your own question.  You'll need to "isolate" the skin areas in your photograph(s).  This is a tedious process that takes some getting used to.  I tend to use the "lasso" tool, but you could use something like the "magic wand" tool.  If it's the jeans you want to manipulate, you'll have to "select" them separately.  I'd get the selections and then save them separately ( Selections > Save Selections ).  You might want to post this in the Photoshop section of these forums and see what they come back with over there.  Up until now, it sounds like you're color correcting the entire photograph, so nice blues, but not so nice skin tones.  Makes sense to isolate them from eachother, no?

• 2. Re: I have photoshop CS2, wanting to adjust the skin tones
            Cheriesshadow Level 1

Hi John, Thank you for the tip, I will practice the methods you suggest.

Sincerely,

Cherie

Cherie's Designer Boutique

Direct Website; www.cheriesboutique.com

eBay Store; www.ebaycheries.com 

(Monthly Special)

*ADD 2 or More Items To Your Order And Receive An Additional 15% Off Our Already Low Prices By Entering The Following Promotion Code On Checkout - CDBDC2 To Qualify You Must Have 2 Or More Items In Your Order and The More You Buy The More You Save So Its A Great Opportunity To Stock Up On Your Favorite Designer Brands!!

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:57:21 -0700

To: cheriesdesignerboutique@hotmail.com

Subject: I have photoshop CS2, wanting to adjust the skin tones

You've almost answered your own question.  You'll need to "isolate" the skin areas in your photograph(s).  This is a tedious process that takes some getting used to.  I tend to use the "lasso" tool, but you could use something like the "magic wand" tool.  If it's the jeans you want to manipulate, you'll have to "select" them separately.  I'd get the selections and then save them separately ( Selections > Save Selections ).  You might want to post this in the Photoshop section of these forums and see what they come back with over there.  Up until now, it sounds like you're color correcting the entire photograph, so nice blues, but not so nice skin tones.  Makes sense to isolate them from eachother, no?

>

• 3. Re: I have photoshop CS2, wanting to adjust the skin tones
              gator soup Level 4

Also try this move in Selective Color (Reds):

Image> Adjustment> Selective Color: Reds

SelectiveColor.png

If you do the move in ADJUSTMENT LAYER you can go back and edit it later...

• 4. Re: I have photoshop CS2, wanting to adjust the skin tones
                gator soup Level 4

PS:

You may make similar moves in Selective Color for Blue and Cyan (for blue jeans) — plus or minus the Black slider to lighten/darken that color

• 5. Re: I have photoshop CS2, wanting to adjust the skin tones
                  p taz Level 3

It is very rare to need to isolate the skin areas these days.  Chances are that the error exists in the whole photo and if you can correct that, you will find the jeans will be corrected too.  If they are still out, you can use selective colour or targeted hue adjustments to then correct the jeans.

If you need to correct a faulty (as in bad makeup or bad skin) skin tone and you use adjustment layers, you can 'paint' the skintone adjustment into certain areas too, by masking out the whole frame and then using a brush or eraser on the mask, painting the correction onto the skin as needed.

I used to do selection corrections years ago until I learned how to correct the whole image properly, also the quality of supplied images has improved, then they became almost unnecessary...  Big time saver! (and better results).

• 6. Re: I have photoshop CS2, wanting to adjust the skin tones
                    Paul Rivas

You can also try, using a gray balance target when shooting, then as a first step analyze the gray balance make sure it is neutral. That should snap all colors into place, as you shot it. Good luck.