6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 10:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 getting media from canon hf200

careyguy

Let me start off with I have been using premiere 4 for the last year or so using a sony vx2000 camcorder and have had no problems. My computer is a dell xps 420 useing vista, 4026 ram, 32 bit O/S, ATI radeon HD 2600 XT video card. I have upgraded to a canon hf 200 with sdhc memory and have downloaded the trial verison on premiere 8. I was told that this verison will support the sdhc format that my canon hf200 prouduces. I have tryed every different setting on the camera and in premiere and the video that I import off this new camera will not play wright. It is very jerky and the sound goes off and on. I can play this camera media type on sony vegas movie maker 9 and it looks great. The only problem is I have been using the adobe for so long I dont want  to learn how to use the sony vegas. I have called adobe customer service " WHAT A JOKE", 3 times and could not get anyone to pick up the phone, I was on the line 30 min. each time. I finally got through and I swear, I could not understand a dam thing that indian was saying. And  I dont mean American indian. Can anyone help before I go crazy over this.

Thanks, Carey

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 getting media from canon hf200
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Carey

A quick look into your details would suggest that you went from a miniDV camcorder (Sony VX2000) to a AVCHD camcorder shooting Full AVCHD 1920 x 1080. Is your computer resources set up to meet that very resource demanding format? Apparently you have at least 3 recording modes for video that is captured with an interlaced sensor:

a. 1080 60i (1920 x 1080 at 60 field per second = 30 frames per second)

b. 30p

c. 24p

Which one of those is your camcorder set to? And what are your computer resources?

Many do not have the computer resources for AVCHD Full and have opted to convert that to a less resource demanding form for editing in Premiere Elements 7 or 8. I would suggest that you convert the AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) Full 1920 x 1080 to MPEG2 1920 x 1080 16:9, using a software such as the free Koyote Soft

http://www.koyotesoft.com

and see how you do with that. Some have decided to workaround these resources issues using proxy editing procedures (See that of Ozpeter this forum).

Sure Premiere Elements 8 supports AVCHD which is apparently was is being recorded to your SDHC card. But your computer may not be supporting the resources for pulling off these AVCHD projects if they are more than a few minutes in duration.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 getting media from canon hf200
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's the LINK to Ozpeter's Proxy Editing workflow article.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 getting media from canon hf200
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks Hunt for supplying the Ozpeter link for his proxy editing procedure. I was going to post that link if there was interest in that workaround.

If and when you do try what Ozpeter described in the link that Hunt has provided, please know that I have been there and done and have posted what I have done at another forum. What I have posted is not a replacement for Ozpeter's fine work, but rather his procedure with supplemental very detailed notes to show what worked for me using his idea and guidelines.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 getting media from canon hf200
                careyguy Level 1

Hi AT, Thanks for your responce, I hate to soud like a dummy but who do you set the computer resources up to use the demanding hvchd as you talked about?

Thanks, Carey

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 getting media from canon hf200
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Carey

Computer optimization including frequent defragmentation is always essential to video editing no matter what the video format. And, available RAM, free hard drive space, virtual memory setup are some major considerations for successful video editing of clips whose duration is beyond a few minutes, generally speaking.

For AVCHD editing in Premiere Elements you can find often suggestions for your computer system to include a quad core processor with 4 GB RAM. A user reports that, even with that set up, his video editing is slow and has decided to go the HD conversion route. Another may say that you do not need a quad core processor, just a faster processor, giving his workflow which includes core 2 duo 2.6 GHz.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/239414-misconception-avchd-editing.htm l

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51400

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390599?tstart=0

All would seem to agree that AVCHD editing demands greater computer resources than other formats, but have not found a fixed recipe for just what level where “one size” fits all.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 getting media from canon hf200
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    All would seem to agree that AVCHD editing demands greater computer resources than other formats, but have not found a fixed recipe for just what level where “one size” fits all.

With most NLE work, the most important aspect of the system is the I/O sub-system, i.e. HDD's, their size, speed, free space and how they are controlled and also allocated. The CPU is second.

With AVCHD, these two aspects are reversed, with CPU being #1 and I/O being #2.

What the minimum CPU is, will depend on how quickly and fluidly, one wishes to edit it. A singe Core2 Quad, is often stated as the minimum. Some feel, that for them, dual Core2 Quads are the minimum. Others insist that a fast i7, is the minimum, and some want dual i7's. So, it depends on what one expects and needs.

I also wish to sound out a hearty "second," on ATR's suggestion to optimize and maintain ANY computer for editing. This is one of the most intensive tasks, that one can ask for their computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are some good FAQ's on optimizing one's computer (found to the right of the main forum screen), and also some articles in the Tips & Tricks section. Take a moment and read some of these, as you will get some great info.