4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 3:22 AM by Andy Bay

Downscaled HD vs. SD text

Andy Bay Level 1

Hi!

Another question that popped into my mind:

Which do you think will produce better results:

Making my lower thirds HD inside AE and then importing them to Premiere and scaling them down to fit a SD project.

Or

Making my lower thirds SD to begin with inside AE thus avoiding having to scale them in Premiere.

I'm quessing you will answer the second option, but I'm thinking about it like this: If I shoot HD with my camera and downscale it to become SD in Premiere, the footage tends to look better than shooting SD to begin with. Would the same principle not apply to animated lower thirds/text?

• 1. Re: Downscaled HD vs. SD text
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

I'm quessing you will answer the second option, but I'm thinking about it like this: If I shoot HD with my camera and downscale it to become SD in Premiere, the footage tends to look better than shooting SD to begin with. Would the same principle not apply to animated lower thirds/text

No, if anything it will look slightly (very slightly, hopefully) worse. On a related note, though, I understand Premiere Pro recently got an option for improved, higher quality scaling  (in the 4.1 update, if I recall correctly),.

I think the HD to SD downcoversion example sometimes is more about subjective qualities than anything. If you stick a Letus adapter on an SD camera to use a 35mm lens on it, most viewers will prefer it over downconverted HD because of the "perception" of resolution and the shallow depth of field. This has little to do with scaling interpolation math 

• 2. Re: Downscaled HD vs. SD text
            Andy Bay Level 1

Ok!

Thanks for clearing that up!

• 3. Re: Downscaled HD vs. SD text
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Would the same principle not apply to animated lower thirds/text?

No, not really. What, however happens, is that your text's pixels are blended with different pixels of the underlying footage and because scaling samples based on the source dimensions, the result is usually a little more pleasing than the fixed size antialiasing kernel used to blend at native dimensions. so basically by making it a bit softer, you make it look better. I agree, though, that just like films a lot of the perceived quality boost of HD footage hinges on other factors.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Downscaled HD vs. SD text
                Andy Bay Level 1

Thanks for your insight Mylenium!