10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 11:05 PM by A.Bes

Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work

A.Bes Level 1

Hey,

ok, well I've exhausted myself on this issue I've been running into. I hate asking, but I have not been able to find an answer to help me out anywhere.

I have one main issue that is noticeable. And just a few other questions.. if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

System:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

2.61Ghz  4 gigs (shows as 3.5) of ram

Windows XP sp3

ATI Radeon HD 4800 series gfx card

cuttng on premiere pro CS4

(i also have cs3)

-----------------------

Camera

Sony HVR-z7u (importing from CF )

----

PROBLEM

Shot footage on the z7u to a compact flash card. Loaded the footage from the CF card onto the comp. Files show as .m2t files. Load them into premiere CS4 (and tried in CS3) and all I get it a MEDIA PENDING when trying to load the clips up. shows the same thing in AE as well. Adobe Bridge however can preview the clips.

I proceeded to look online for some answers, could not find any, except a lot of "Well you need to convert the files or capture through tape" capturing through tape is not an option (capturing from the tape works, but i dont want to capture from tape)"

I then proceeded to change the extension of the .m2t file from .m2t to .mpeg or .mov . That also did not work. BUT changing the extension from .m2t to .mts does work.

clips load up in CS4 find, I can edit, no lag, no need for rendering, life seems good. HOWEVER when i goto lets say, slow the clip down to 50% i get the media pending .

I waited to make sure that the footage didnt need to index. I even went as far as, closing down, restarting, trying, same thing. Closing down, deleting scratch disk, let it re-index. same thing. and still get the MEDIA pending. I made sure I was in the proper PRESET, for cutting the HDV footage. still nothing..

Does anyone know why, this may be?

If the only way is to convert the files, then I guess my question would be, whats the best way to convert them with no quality loss or compression. changing the extension to .mts seems to have been the best way, as there is no noticable quality loss.

I need to have a solid workflow for working with this camera.

• 1. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I get it a MEDIA PENDING when trying to load the clips up.

This is normal.  You have to wait for Indexing to finish before you edit.

• 2. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
            dradeke Adobe Employee

I believe (in other words I could be wrong) that the computer is doing a scan through the file to a) confrom the audio b) do a read through all of the i-frames in the file (it's a GOP structure).  As Jim said, this is normal behavior to help provide a solid editing experience.  If you have a long capture, this process will take a few minutes.

Dennis

• 3. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
              A.Bes Level 1

I gave a little background on the issue, the media pending was evident in CS3, and it just would not take the files. When I ran it through CS4 and changed the file extension from .m2t to .mts i did not get the media pending.

Im not cutting it in CS3 it was to trouble shoot. My problem now is that when I SLOW the clip down for some slow mow action I get the MEDIA PENDING. I've waited for the clip to index, render. and it does not come out of media pending. There are no status bars to indicate premiere doing anything. I can hear the audio, get no video. Ive waited 3 hours and still nothing. the clip is small in file size. and the slow mow test was with a 2 second clip.

I even shut down, restarted, deleted the render previews, everything.. And still nothing. So I dont think its premiere locking up or anything. I just can't figure this out.

my original post has a more detailed description on what i am running and what I did..

hopefully someone might be able to shed light on this.

• 4. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Did you transfer the entire folder contents off the Flash card?  Did you use Premiere's Media Browser to import the files?

• 5. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
                  A.Bes Level 1

I did transfer the entire contents off of the flash card. And I also imported it through the media browser.

• 6. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
                    A.Bes Level 1

I guess no one is using Premiere Pro cs4 and the Sony hvr-z7u?!?!?

I just need to figure out why when I manipulate the clip (color correct, or slow mow) that I get media pending.. IT DOES index and just sits there, i get green status bar, hear sound but the picture is just media pending. I Waited a full 24 hrs and it still says this.

Any info would be very very helpful.

thanks

A.bes

• 7. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
                      dradeke Adobe Employee

Why don't you clear the media cache files and trash the preferences.  Restart and relaunch Premiere Pro.  Depending on the length of the clip, wait a while (not 24 hours - not even 1 hour!) and tell us what you get.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
                        A.Bes Level 1

Yah, I tried that as well. Still get the media pending when I slow down or mess with the clip..

I have gotten rid of codecs as well, and reinstalled some while trying again along the way..

Ultra bizarre.

• 9. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
                          dradeke Adobe Employee

If you're uninstalling and reinstalling, then be sure to run the CS4 clean script.

• 10. Re: Sony HVR-z7u and CS4 cannot get a few things to work
                            A.Bes Level 1

Ok.

So, I just finished upgrading the comp (using some excellent advice from harm and the rest in a hardware discussion -). I jumped into windows 7 64bit pro and only installed CS4.

Works like a charm. Even edits the .M2T files. where as before it would just say media pending.

I didnt wipe out any of my video file drives, or scratch disk. BUT I did clear out the preview files, and render files and media cache.

Im guessing I had some sort of codec that was installed that was probably messing it up a bit. I dont have any codecs installed except for the ones that were updated through adobe and whatever was there on a fresh windows install.

I also had CS3 master suite installed, which I dont anymore. I dont think this was the problem as I am told they can co-exsist on same OS.

Needless to say, it works now, and I am happy.

Does anyone else cut strictly with .m2t files or do you use cineform, or neoscene to rock them as .AVI files?!?!

I just want to make sure that when I start cutting this feature I dont get a bunch of hang ups and crashes due to editing .m2t files.

I wont be capturing from tape, it will be a hard drive that will be loaded with the files (footage shot on sony hvr-z7u) and sent to me from location. Is there a better more stable way to ingest the footage into premiere then to just use the media browser and load up the .m2t files?

thanks everyone.

Abes