3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2008 1:32 AM by jojolina

Embedding a simulation into a Captivate Training

GiGiTi
      I’m a new user hoping that one of you smart folks can help me. I’m using Captivate 3 and using the Software Training template that comes with it. As recommended, I am not including the Playback Control because I want my users to use the navigation buttons that are in the template. However, when they get to the software demonstration in one of my lessons, I do want playback controls to appear so they can play/pause.

I’ve looked at a few solutions including embedding by simulation as a SWF or linking to a different project, but nothing is working the way I want. Has anyone done this successfully?

• 1. Re: Embedding a simulation into a Captivate Training
          jojolina Level 1
          Hi there GiGiTi and welcome to our little patch of cyberheaven.

I would suggest splitting your project up as follows:
          Module 1 ends just before the software demo starts
          Module 2 is the software demo where you need playback bar
          In module 1, set Edit/Preferences Start/End node to open other project on end and then select module 2 as the other project to open.

Shout back if not working or working or need more advice or confused etc.
          • 2. Re: Embedding a simulation into a Captivate Training
            GiGiTi Level 1
            Thanks for the reply. I can't put the demo at the end of the project because my project is a group of lessons that the user can move around in. Right now I'm considering two solutions:
            1. Convert the SWF of my demo to an FLV and embed the FLV with it's controls
            2. Just launch the demo in a new window. However, I'd like the window to be sized correctly and not have toolbars.

I haven't been successful with either of these approaches. Does anyone have advaise either on the conversion or the JS?

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Embedding a simulation into a Captivate Training
              jojolina Level 1
              Hi again

Another route you could take if you do not want the playback bar in every slide is to NOT have a playback bar at all and simply build nav buttons in to the slides where you want the user to be able to navigate/