9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 12:21 PM by brian.e.

CS3 Graphic styles frustration

Cito-plan Level 1

Graphic styles in CS3;

I've defined several graphic styles and saved them in a library. Once imported into a new document or make a template doc with style already there.

Drawing lines in a layer:  clicking the graphic style i want and draw a line, so far so good. Copy and paste that line ...

gives me a NEW graphic style-1 which happens to be the same as the graphic style in which the line was drawn???? Why???

By clicking in the Appearance menu on New art has basic appearance and doing the same as above won't give a new style-1 but....

Now the lines I draw, copy or paste has no graphic style at all?????

What I want is to draw ,copy and paste lines with a specific graphic style and illustrator to get hold of the style!

What am i doing wrong?

• 1. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
          Cito-plan Level 1

It's even worse, every line with a graphic style will repoduce a style-1, -2,-3

Only lines with no graphic style doesn't.....

• 2. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sounds like a bug. Graphic styles are per-object, so it doesn't seem to consolidate the references when pasting. For the time being, applying the graphic style after the item has been inserted seems the only way to avoid this. Sorry. Can't even tell you, whether this is fixed in CS4 as I so rarely use graphic styles (owed to the fact that I'm a lamer in AI, anyway)

Mylenium

• 3. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
              Cito-plan Level 1

Thanx for the reply,

As a cartographer planned to use illustrator instead of Freehand i'm using graphic Styles extensively!

• 4. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
                brian.e.

Did you ever find out what was causing your Graphic Styles to duplicate every time you would copy & paste them & what to do to fix this issue?  I have been having this problem in CS5.  The problem stated for some reason when I was opening some PDF's sent to me from my cad department.  I'm not why or what to do to fix this issue & it is killing me.  If you have any help I would be so grateful!

Brian.

• 5. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
                  thuth Level 1

I, too am having styles duplicate themselves many times over. It seems to be related to copying and pasting grouped objects with styled parts, or maybe symbols with styles. I haven't really experimented as regardless i need to use grouped objects and symbold.

Has anyone found a workaround?

It is incredibly frustrating. Why on earth would anyone want this to be the default behavior? It doesn't warn you when it happens and there doesn't seem to be a setting to turn it off.

It seems like this bug has been around for several versions. Adobe, please fix this, rather than adding more fringe features.

GRRRRRR.

-Tony

• 6. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
                    brian.e. Level 1

This bug or what ever it is did not seem to happen on Graphic Styles that had more attributes than one fill & one stroke.  So when I made a Graphic Style & I only needed a stroke with no fill I would just add another empty fill so I would end up with a stroke & 2 empty fills.  I do not know why but this problem did not seem to happen on any of these more complicated Styles.  The problem did happen one time with a complex Style but I just recreated it & it has not happen since.

• 7. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
                      brian.e. Level 1

This bug or what ever it is did not seem to happen on Graphic Styles that had more attributes than one fill & one stroke.  So when I made a Graphic Style & I only needed a stroke with no fill I would just add another empty fill so I would end up with a stroke & 2 empty fills.  I do not know why but this problem did not seem to happen on any of these more complicated Styles.  The problem did happen one time with a complex Style but I just recreated it & it has not happen since.

Brian Lau

Methods & Procedures Coordinator

T.I.C.  313 982-9660 Ext 306

blau@ticglobal.com

FORD   313 390-5476

blau4@ford.com

Fax: 313 982-9684

• 8. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
                        thuth Level 1

Thanks, Brian. I will try this.

I find it ridiculous that bugs in basic functionality like this can exist through at least 3 VERSIONS of Illustrator. Inconceivable.

How could this not be considered a bug?

-Tony

• 9. Re: CS3 Graphic styles frustration
                          brian.e. Level 1

I did report this & worked with Adobe & they told me that this is now classified as a bug.  Wow it only took till CS5!

Brian Lau

Methods & Procedures Coordinator

T.I.C.  313 982-9660 Ext 306

blau@ticglobal.com

FORD   313 390-5476

blau4@ford.com

Fax: 313 982-9684