7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 3:24 PM by kglad

SWF works offline but not online

nlamont
      I'm fairly new to Flash development and have put together a music toy from instructions in a book. It plays perfectly well in 'Publish Preview' and when you launch the HTML page offline. However it won't play online.

First I published it in Flash 8, where I'd created it, uploaded the swf and the html. In Firefox it loaded a blank page which revealed on right click that there was a Flash movie there, but you couldn't see it or do anything. In IE it just stuck half way through loading.

Then I resaved it in Flash CS3 and published it with AC_runactivecontent.js. Uploaded it to my site and the result was exactly the same.

To check my syntax a friend uploaded it to his webspace, and put another swf on the same page using the same syntax. The new swf played, but mine didn't. The 'publish settings' for the two were the same. Again, if you look at the page offline both play.

My friend made some changes to the FLA and published it successfully on his webspace. He suggested the file size may have been a problem: I had had some fairly large audio files in it and 'updated' them to smaller ones. The resulting swf was 6mb. We wondered if the old ones had been retaines somewhere, boosting the file size.  The only other difference I can see between his version and mine is that there's a font I used which wasn't on his PC. His version has it as Arial (there is only one word in the whole thing).

I took his  version, deleted the sound files and reimported the smaller versions, which then published as a 3mb file. But now it doesn't play! Results in IE and FF exactly as above.

I've also tried swfobject.js with the same results.

Can anyone suggest where I should start looking for a solution? I'm guessing it must be something in the fla or the publish settings?
      nlamont is online now Report Post  Reply With Quote
        • 1. Re: SWF works offline but not online
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you're crashing the flash player.

if you have any audio that's a potential cause of this problem especially if you've changed bitrate in your publish settings

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SWF works offline but not online
            nlamont Level 1

Thanks for replying.  Yes, there are 20 small mp3 files encoded into the swf, not called externally.  But if they were crashing the Flash player, wouldn't they also do it when I play it locally?  After all, it's the same browser. When I play it locally or in Publish Preview, there's no problem.

• 3. Re: SWF works offline but not online

if you open the html locally with your browser i would think the same problem would be present.  otherwise, no.

but debugging computer problems can defy (apparent) logic only to find the problems seen are a logical consequence of the bug.

• 4. Re: SWF works offline but not online
                nlamont Level 1

'debugging computer problems can defy (apparent) logic only to find the problems seen are a logical consequence of the bug.'

These words should be on every developer's screen!  I think I've found the cause and as you say, with hindsight it's obvious and logical:

I published it from a different PC and uploaded it to the same site. It worked. I couldn't find a difference between the publish settings on the two machines, but I eventually checked the FTP program - and found that on the first machine the Transfer Type had got bumped to ASCII!  I put it back to Auto and uploaded a stripped down version and it worked.Which explained why other SWFs I uploaded at the same time also failed.

I'm not going to beat myself up about this, I'm really not.  Not much!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• 5. Re: SWF works offline but not online

you're welcome.

• 6. Re: SWF works offline but not online
                    Brogdog

I have the same issue. Inserted the CS3 SWF Movie 65kb along with the scripts/install & object files & I get the blank white box with the rotating page search circle above. I thought CS4 might add the correct syntax so I saved it as CS4 & tried again. It's the same. I followed the Classroom in a book directions as with the book version. Any thoughts?

• 7. Re: SWF works offline but not online

publish an html file from flash and upload both the html, swf and js file (if there is a js file).  retest.

if you still have a problem, start your own thread.