6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 7:04 AM by the_wine_snob

Is my computer powerful enough for Premiere 8?

AnthonyAndrews Level 1

Prior to upgrading to a High Definition video camera I was editing my Standard Definition videos quite happily on Premiere Elements 2.0.  I have now upgraded to Premiere 8 but my computer seems to be struggling and I get warnings that it is short of memory and to save my project. Occasionally the program shuts down without warning. My computer has a 2.0GHz Core Duo processor and I increased the RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb - the most it can take.  Is it just too underpowered to cope with P8?  Checking the needed specifications on the box it appears the computer should be adequate although at the lower end of what is required.   I would appreciate some advice.  I have tried out Sony's Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Edition which seems to run alright but it's a whole new system to learn so I'd prefer to stick with Premiere if possible.

• 1. Re: Is my computer powerful enough for Premiere 8?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Anthony,

Welcome to the forum.

Much of one's success will depend on the source footage, plus the system. What is your source footage?

On the system side, please tell us about your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their speed, amout of free space on each, their controller type (SATA II, or other) and how you have these HDD's allocated. This will give us more to go on.

The CPU, though on the low end, should be OK, so long as you are not Importing AVCHD footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is my computer powerful enough for Premiere 8?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you tips on cleaning, and setting up, your computer for an editing session. This will allow you to get the most from it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Is my computer powerful enough for Premiere 8?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Many of the ideas at the next link are generic enough they have helped some Non-Premiere users fix problems
              Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 4. Re: Is my computer powerful enough for Premiere 8?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve Grisetti has a very useful FAQ Article on how to optimize your OS for editing work. This, plus the other linked article, will get you as much power, as you can get from your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Is my computer powerful enough for Premiere 8?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When one gets a "resources," or "memory" error, they must realize that the "resources" mentioned are both RAM and Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). The latter comes into play, when the first is exhausted, which almost always happening with editing video.

That Page File is, just as the name implies, "virutal memory." The difference is that it is hard disk drive (HDD) space, that is allocated to act like physical RAM. It's size, where it's located, and how it is managed in Windows, can make a big difference. For video editing, I like to set the Page File up on probably my fastest HDD, and have its size set statically to about 2.5x my physical RAM. This takes some of the management load off of Windows, so it can do other things. One each of my machines, I always experiment with the location of the Page File (I have several HDD's to use), and test for performance increases, or decreases. On my laptop, I found that having it, managed and sized as per above, on C:\, gave me the best performance. On my workstation, having it split between C:\ and D:\ was my best performance.

Also, a statically managed Page File allows me to give it defragmented space, which it wants, as I can defragment my HDD's regularly, and because the static Page File is the first thing written to the HDD, when I boot up, it's always in the same spot - every time.

Good luck, and hope that this helps too,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Is my computer powerful enough for Premiere 8?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Thank you for posting the PrPro-Wiki Troubleshooting link. That was going to be my next post, but you saved me the time.

Appreciated,

Hunt