5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 11:05 AM by Tvoliter

My First Catalyst Project

Chris Doughman Design

http://www.chrisdoughmandesign.com

let me know what you think!!! (also used Builder too)

• 1. Re: My First Catalyst Project
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Thank you for sharing. Nice work! The navigation, artwork, and transitions look great. It always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see what users can make with the software we create.

I am curious,

How long did it take you to put this together?

What Catalyst features did you find most useful?

What was the most painful in creating this?

Ty

• 2. Re: My First Catalyst Project
            Chris Doughman Design Level 1

Ty,

First I have to say that I enjoyed working with FC a LOT. It's something of quality that I have come to expect from Adobe.

>>How long did it take you to put this together?

In FC alone, it was probably ~6 hours (granted, learning a program from ground zero). I had watched the tutorial videos at least twice.

>>What Catalyst features did you find most useful?

Basically the whole program was useful -- it writing the code for me (in most cases).

>>What was the most painful in creating this?

Two things:

1. Having a PC that just barely meets system requirements.....the GUI was dog slow. I hope to be building a new rig soon (i've been saying that for 2 years now -_- )

2. Having to mess with the code in FB for connecting the data list / image custom component, embedding fonts, "mail to" command. I'm no code junkie though, so it probably wouldn't have been so bad if I knew what I was doing.

It would be nice if there was an option within FC to make a custom preloader for the specific project.

• 3. Re: My First Catalyst Project
              Laurence Schuberth Level 1

Absolutely agree Chris, the pre loader is something I also something I think would be fantastic.

I'm in the same boat. Only started exploring FB when I found FC to try and make it do things that FC cant at the moment, which for me ( more of a snippet coder ) is tough till I know what I am doing.

With help from lui in this post http://forums.adobe.com/thread/523487?tstart=0 and the tute you'll find there, I was able to get custom loaders working

http://www.nbntv.com.au but being able to design in FC would be just great. Let me know if you have any luck

Cheers

Laz

• 4. Re: My First Catalyst Project
                Chris Doughman Design Level 1

Ty,

One other thing that occurred to me...

RE: What was the most painful in creating this?

Not having the ability to re open the FXP file in Catalyst AFTER it has been imported into Builder.

What's the point of having an FXP file format if FB (FXP) files aren't able to be re opened by FC?

• 5. Re: My First Catalyst Project
                  Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Thanks for sharing. It's great to hear how productive you were with the product after watching some videos.

We have been putting a lot of energy toward enhancing Catalyst performance. While I wouldn't expect Catalyst to be fast on a older computer, you should notice some of the performance enhancements with the next release.

Ty